- Text Size +

Chapter 92

Nick and I are waiting for Brian and Eva’s plane to land. He’s holding my left hand and playing with my ring with his thumb. I lay my head on his shoulder and say, “I didn’t want to leave it at home. I’ll take it off when they land.”

He chuckles and says, “I’m not worried. They’re going to find out tomorrow anyway.”

I tilt my head back and he kisses me just before I say, “I am so excited about tomorrow. It’s going to be so much fun.”

He says, “Oh, I have no doubt it will be a blast. But will you do me a favor?”

I say, “Sure, anything.”

He says, “Will you please take your cane? I know you’re walking really well, but I don’t want you to overdo it.”

I say, “Yes, Nick, I will take it. I don’t want to end up back in the wheel chair, believe me.”

He says, “You know, I’m proud of you. You’ve done amazing things in just three weeks.”

I blush and say, “Well, with you there as my incentive to get back on my own two feet, I have to work hard.”

He puts his arm around me and says, “I love you Elaine. Do you know what I’m looking forward to most now that you’re walking again?”

I giggle and say, “Breaking in the kitchen?”

He laughs and says, “Oh, yeah, I’m looking forward to that too, but I’m also looking forward to seeing you walking down the aisle to become Mrs. Nick Carter.”

I kiss him on the cheek and say, “I’m looking forward to that myself, Mr. Carter.” Then, because I just can’t help myself, I start giggling.

He says, “OK, what’s so funny?”

I say, “Well, I probably shouldn’t wear white. I mean, after all, we did already do the honeymoon thing, right?”

Pulling me closer, he whispers, “You’re going to wear white, then after we say ‘I do’ I’m going to find a place to get you alone and I’m going to make love to my wife while she’s still wearing her wedding dress and everyone is wondering where we went.”

My body tingles all over and I say, “Nick, you know that’s not fair. Here we are in the middle of LAX and you’re getting me all hot and bothered.”

He sucks on my earlobe for a few seconds, then says, “Good, stay that way until we get home. Oh, and just so you’ll know, everyday for the rest of our lives is going to be a honeymoon. Baby, you can count on that.”

I put my hand on his neck and he kisses me quickly but intensely. When his lips leave mine, there is no doubt that when we get home, we may not make it to the bedroom.

About ten minutes later, the plane we are waiting on lands. I take off my ring and slip it into my pocket. We watch people as they exit the plane, but neither of us move yet. We’ve been very lucky so far. No one has recognized Nick.

When Brian and Eva come through the door, I can’t help but gasp. He turns to me and says, “She does look different, doesn’t she?”

I say, “No, she just looks happy. I have NEVER seen her look like that. I never realized she was so unhappy until now.”

Nick whispers, “Sweetheart, she looks like she’s in love.”

I smile up at him as we stand and start walking towards them. Eva and I hug each other tightly and she says, “Look at you! Walking without your cane! I thought for sure you’d still be using it.”

Before I say anything, Nick says, “She does most of the time. She’s been working really hard and I think she wanted to show off for you.”

As we head toward baggage claim, Nick and Brian walk ahead of us, giving me a few minutes to talk to Eva alone. I link my arm with hers and I say, “I can’t believe how good you look. Eva, you’re positively glowing with happiness.”

She says, “Elaine, I don’t think I’ve been this happy in my entire life. Brian has been so wonderful. He’s everything I’ve never had in a boyfriend and more.”

I hug her and say, “It’s about damn time you were happy.”

She laughs and says, “Well, look at you. You’re not exactly crying over here. How are you really?”

I sigh and say, “Eva, it’s everything I thought it would be. He’s been amazing. I’ve spent time with Jax planning the reunion and he never got jealous. I even spent an afternoon with AJ getting his house ready for Rochelle to come home. He’s been absolutely perfect.”

She smiles and says, “You should have seen the change in him when you were in the hospital. Elaine, he was constantly praying, begging God for one more chance with you. I always thought your love at first sight nonsense was a load of hooey, but now I know it’s real.”

I laugh and say, “Because of Nick and me or because of Brian?”

Her laughter joins mine and she says, “Both. Now, tell me what’s going on tomorrow? Why the big secret?”

I smile at her and say, “It’s not a secret really. I just wanted to do something fun for the people who helped me and took care of me when I couldn’t take care of myself. Nick came up with a brilliant idea and we put it into motion.”

She says, “OK, so what do I have to look forward to?”

I say, “All I can tell you is what I told AJ, Rochelle, Jax and Ariana. Wear a swimsuit, shorts, comfortable shoes and be prepared to have a blast. You’ll be picked up at your house for the trip. Bring an extra change of clothes and a toothbrush because this is a weekend trip. You won’t be home till Sunday.”

As we help them carry their luggage out to the car, someone finally recognizes Brian and Nick. They stop and sign autographs while Eva and I climb into the car. I turn in my seat to look at her and I see a shadow in her eyes. I say, “Eva, what’s going on? You look like you’re hiding something.”

She says, “I have something I need to tell you, but maybe we should be away from the airport first. It’s kind of a long story.”

I reach back and grab her hand and I say, “Are you ok?”

She squeezes my hand and says, “Yes, I’m fine. Everything is perfect, I promise.”

Once Brian and Nick are in the car, I turn slightly in my seat and say, “OK, Eva, spill it. What’s going on?”

She says, “Well, it all happened when we were in Vegas…”

Chapter End Notes:

let us know!  :)