- Text Size +

 

TWO

 

A hand shook him from sleep. He woke groggily, not able to orient himself right away.

“Howie?” he asked, sitting upright. “What's happened?”

A familiar smile met his question. “You fell asleep.”

“Kevin-”

“No change,” Howie said evenly. “You need to get something to eat, if you don't mind my saying so. Then a proper rest.”

“But-”

“I'll stay with him,” Howie promised. “He won't be alone. Miles offered a relief crew to pilot the Parrin, if you approve; Nick and AJ are eager to see Kevin for themselves.”

“That's a good idea,” Brian said, stretching. “What about you?”

“I've already eaten, and I'm good to go for another few hours. By then, Nick can relieve me here and we can work out a more sane schedule. I'm sure that the folks here in Sickbay are competent and all, but... I'd feel better with one of us here.”

“Agreed.” He stood, and together the two men regarded the third.

“He's a fighter,” came an unexpected voice from behind them.

Aleta,” Brian said, smiling in greeting. “I heard you'd gained your first-level med certification. Glad to see you here.” He shook her outstretched hand.

“Hello, Aleta,” Howie said, a bit shyly.

“Howie,” she said, nodding. “Been a while, huh?”

“Over a year,” he answered, then glanced away. Aleta shifted her gaze to Kevin's battered form.

“He's a fighter,” she repeated. “With as much as he's been through, that's the only way he's alive now.” She shook her head. “I still can't believe he's here.”

“Any idea when you might try to fix his hand?” Brian asked.

She glanced at the chart she was holding. “He's been stable for the last couple of hours, and his vitals have strengthened. We're planning on moving ahead with the first surgery in an hour or so.” She sighed. “It'll be tricky, but not impossible. I'm guessing it will take three surgeries, allowing him to stabilize for a day or so between each one. We have limited nano-tech, but it should be enough to help with the more delicate aspects once the final surgery is complete.”

“So he broke his hand in the pod?”

She shook her head. “No,” her voice said softly. “And 'broke' isn't the proper word. I'd say it was crushed, and well before that pod was launched.”

Brian swallowed, his throat suddenly dry. “His chances?”

“Right now, I'd say fairly good. He'll probably regain most of the use of his hand. His leg, I'm not sure. Scans indicate a badly healed knee injury, but it's too early to tell. It might be too late to correct, unless he opts for a total replacement. As for the rest...” She shrugged. “Mostly it's surface damage. None of us can understand why he has no internal damage. It doesn't seem to track.”

“That's something to be grateful for, anyways,” Howie said.

The three stood in silence for a short while.

“What about the alien?”

Aleta looked at Howie. “What about her?”

“Well, Miles said she'd been patched up...”

Aleta's eyes darkened. “Patched, barely. He's forbidden us to alleviate her pain, or even try to communicate with her.”

“Which you don't approve of,” Brian said.

“No, I don't. And I've made my opinion clear. Alien or not, she's a living being, and should at least be given minimal comfort. Keeping her locked away, in pain and isolation, makes us no better than the Enemy.”

“But look what they did to Kevin,” Brian said, frowning.

They, yes. But her... we just don't know. I'm not making a judgment, I'm only speaking as a medical healer. It goes against my every training to let someone... anyone... suffer needlessly.”

“I guess we'll have to wait for Kevin's side of the story to really know,” the young Captain said. “I hope that won't take too long.”

“He'll wake when he's ready,” Aleta said with confidence. “For now, he's got a lot of healing to do.”

“And you, sir, have a decent meal and a real rest to take care of,” Howie said, addressing Brian.

“Just call me if anything happens,” he said.

“Don't worry,” Aleta said. “I'll inform you first... even before Miles.”

Brian hid a grin and left Sickbay, wondering what Miles would have to say about that.

~*~

She watched carefully from her corner; the look on the man's face was all too familiar. He spoke as K'vn did, but his words were harsh and unpleasant sounding. She didn't need the strange words, though. The gleam in his eyes said enough.

She pushed the pain back, wondering where she was, and more importantly, where K'vn was. The man was dressed like he had been, many cycles ago; she was among his people. Her last memories, before darkness took her, had been placing the breathing device in K'vn's mouth and beginning her own Sleep. She could not tell how long it had been since their escape.

The man drew near, peering at her through the bars. He looked towards the door, said a string of odd, dark words, and smiled.

She didn't let a reaction show, although the man's intent was crystal clear. Instead, she gave him a cool, distant stare... her only defense, now she was injured and not allowed to heal.

The sound of a lock clicking, then-

The door to the room opened, unexpectedly. A woman, a stranger, entered, saying a few quick words to the man. Their conversation was short but strong; finally, he opened the lock and the woman moved close. The man, thankfully, remained outside.

Unable to retreat further, her injured back was pressed painfully against the bars. The woman spoke, her words soft and gentle... unusual, alien. Not to be trusted.

The woman's touch was careful, her strange words meant to comfort. She didn't attempt to fight when the woman moved to the bandages. One word caught her ear: heal. It was one of K'vn's words.

She realized this woman was a healer.

Of course, she did not let her guard down. No one could be trusted. None but K'vn.

~*~

Nick looked up as two familiar faces entered the room. He put down the sketchpad he'd been using and stood. He began a salute.

“At ease,” Brian said. “You know I hate formality, and as long as it's just us here, you can relax.”

“So how's he doing?” AJ asked, nodding at Kevin's inert form.

“His color's improved,” Nick said. “Aleta said the first surgery went really well. She was happy with the progress so far.” Then, the youngest member of the Parrin's crew frowned. “She had an argument with Captain Miles about an hour ago, though. Wasn't happy about that.”

“About the alien prisoner?”

“Yeah,” Nick answered. “He wants her kept isolated, with no visitors but those under his direct orders. Aleta wanted to tend to her.”

“I take it Miles won?”

Nick gave a slight grin. “Technically, yeah. But Aleta left, after her duty shift, with her portable med kit. Didn't say where she was going.”

“Interesting, that.” AJ moved closer to the bed. “You know, he still looks like hell.”

Brian regarded Kevin. “Trust me, he looks a lot better than he did. It's hard to imagine what he must have... endured.”

“Have they ever recovered a prisoner from the Enemy?” Nick asked.

“Not anyone who was aboard a battleship,” Brian said. “That's one of the worst things, losing all the human prisoners when they self-destruct.”

“Have... either one of you seen the alien?” Nick asked hesitantly.

“No,” AJ said.

“Not yet,” Brian answered. “I'm not sure I even want to, tell the truth.”

“Why not?”

“Look what they did to Kevin,” Brian said, a bitter tone in his voice. “Even if this alien didn't have anything to do with his injuries, she's still the Enemy.”

Nick grew thoughtful. “I wonder what Kevin will do once he wakes up and realizes she's alive.”

AJ shook his head. “That'll be up to him. I, for one, won't stand in his way, whatever happens.”

“Miles seems to think he's in charge of everything,” Brian said. “But I agree, she's Kevin's prisoner in the end.”

~*~

The celebration was in full swing when Howie came into the main dining hall. Everyone who wasn't on watch seemed to be there, enjoying the massive party. He wondered what it would be like back home.

He saw a few familiar faces; serving in the Defense Force for six years, one made a lot of connections. He found a drink in his hand before he had made it to the first table; obviously regulations about alcohol had been lifted, at least for this event.

He grabbed a plate and loaded up on food, which was in great abundance. Knowing the ship would dock back home in less than two weeks, the supplies weren't as tightly guarded now. And no doubt about it, rations on the Sealk were much better than what the Parrin had to offer.

Lt. Raines spied him, and came over with a smile. “Glad to see you here, Howie,” he said. “Captain Miles went all out on this one!”

“So I see,” Howie answered. “This seems astonishingly huge compared to what I'm used to. And I don't just mean the food.”

“The Sealk is a big ship,” Raines agreed. “Care for some company, or are you waiting for someone?”

“Join me,” he said at once. “I'm meeting AJ and Nick, but I don't think they're here yet.”

Raines joined him after refreshing his drink and the two chose a table a bit out of the mainstream. There, they could talk without having to shout.

“It's still hard to believe the war is over,” Raines said. “I mean... six years. I can't remember what civilian life was like.”

“It's going to be different,” Howie said. “Everything's changed. But I know what you mean... I can't imagine a life that doesn't involve fighting.”

“So you got anyone waiting for you back home?”

He shook his head. “Not really. Before the war, I just wasn't interested in a serious relationship... too young, you know? Then, once I was in the action... it seemed foolish to try and start something when it was all so uncertain.”

“Any family?”

Howie regarded the rim of his glass. “Last I heard, my mother was all right, and my youngest sister. My brother Julian was stationed on the Trask, but we've been out of contact for a couple months.” He looked up. “My father, my oldest sister... they're gone.”

“Sorry,” Raines said. “This war cost way too much. Everyone's suffered losses. I honestly don't know how my folks are doing. My sister... there was just the two of us... she wanted to join the relief corps, last I heard.” He took a drink. “They were in Epandra when the Enemy hit the city.”

Howie winced. Epandra had been devastated about a year earlier. “Maybe they were lucky.”

“Maybe,” Raines answered. “Guess I'll find out soon enough.”

“At least we can focus on recovery, rather than destruction, from now on.”

Raines raised his glass. “Hear, hear.”

Howie echoed the toast and drank to the future.

~*~

Nick glanced around uncomfortably. He wasn't used to this many people in one place; all he'd ever really known since the war was life aboard the Parrin. Not counting home, of course. When he'd finally been old enough to enlist, three years earlier, he'd been assigned to the Parrin for training. But when time had come to move along, Kevin had asked that he stay. It was practically unheard of for a Captain to request a newbie to remain, but the older man had fought long and hard to keep Nick in place. When Nick had gained the courage enough to ask why, Kevin had simply grinned and said that he saw great potential in him. Nick couldn't have been happier when the request had been approved.

In a sense, he'd grown up with the other four. He secretly thought of them as his older brothers, but would never admit to such a thing. Military life was too unpredictable, and there were risks his heart wouldn't take.

When Kevin had accepted a clandestine mission six months earlier, as a favor to their regiment commander, Nick had misgivings. But when the report came in that Richardson's craft had crashed, and he'd been assumed dead, it had been devastating. He'd been afraid that their tiny unit would be broken up and reassigned, but then Brian had been promoted and the team kept together. Apparently, the upper brass had looked at their excellent mission record and decided to keep the Parrin's crew as it was.

Now, with Kevin's return...

Nick shook his head. It would be a while before Kevin was ready to take back command, if ever. With the war over, nothing was certain. He had no love of the military, although he hated the thought of leaving his comrades. He'd never really thought past the latest mission; the idea of a peaceful life was daunting.

He looked around again, spying AJ talking with one of the Sealk's crew. The woman was pretty, with long blond hair and a trim figure. He gave a grin; that was AJ, alright, the romancer of the group. While he could barely think of things to say to the opposite sex, AJ seemed to be a magnet for their attention. Maybe he could get a few pointers from him, later...

“Hi there, Nick,” someone said, causing him to jump.

“Oh, uh, hi, Aleta,” he muttered.

“Having a good time?” she asked with a smile.

“I suppose so,” he said. “But actually I'm thinking of turning in early, our schedule has been way off and I want to be ready when... if...”

“Kevin wakes?” she prompted.

“Yeah,” he said.

“He's been showing signs of awareness for the last half an hour or so,” she said. “Which is a good indicator that he'll come around by tomorrow.”

“Really?” Nick said, blue eyes mirroring his excitement.

“Really,” she affirmed. “But just remember, he's got a long way to go. The physical injuries are bad enough, but there's a lot of stuff he needs to face.”

“His imprisonment.”

“Yes.”

Nick fell silent, trying to imagine what his oldest brother and friend would have to deal with. A touch on his arm brought him out of his thoughts.

“You know, despite the, ah, generosity of our 'beloved' Captain, I'm not in much of a partying mood. I think I'm going to take a walk. Want to join me?”

“Where are you going?” he said, already standing.

“Not sure,” she said, scanning the room. “Never know where random footsteps might lead.”

Nick thought about her words, then spoke in a low voice. “It wouldn't be a restricted area, would it?”

“Restricted is an ugly word, Nick. I prefer to use 'limited access'. And it so happens that, as First Medical Officer, I have access to all areas of the ship.”

“That's fine for you,” he said, “but what about me? The last thing I can afford to do is get in trouble here.”

“You're a guest,” she said with an easy smile. “And I'm only giving you a tour. Of course, if you're not interested...”

“Are you kidding? I've been dying to see the al-”

“Ahem.”

“Er, the... her.”

“Then let's blow this party and take a hike.”

The pair left the festivities, unnoticed.

~*~

“You've grown,” Aleta said as they walked down the corridor. “You've topped me by at least what, three inches. I bet you'll be as tall as Kevin soon.”

“AJ said he never could understand how I could keep growing on the rations we get,” Nick said, grinning. “At least he doesn't call me shrimp anymore.”

She laughed. “I sure miss serving with you guys. Even standard supply runs were an adventure.”

“Yeah, it wasn't the same once you moved on,” Nick said. “But I'm glad you finished your training. How is it, being the head Doc around here?”

“It has its moments,” she said. “Serving a crew this size is a challenge, but definitely worthwhile. I can't say there's any love lost between me and the Captain, but it's been a great experience.” Her hazel eyes darkened. “Up until recently, that is.”

“About that... why, exactly, are you risking trouble taking me to see the, um, prisoner?”

Aleta pressed the lift button in front of them and considered his question. “Well, it's hard to explain. There's something about this woman... alien or not... that has me intrigued. She's been conscious for quite a while, but hasn't uttered a word or fought back or tried to escape. She has this weird calmness about her... I don't know. Miles says she's a heartless, cold alien, but I just don't see it. I was hoping that I could get your opinion, gauge your gut reaction.”

“My opinion?”

“Nick, you're one of the most openly honest people I know, and I value your judgment. I was just wondering if maybe I'm trying to see things that just aren't there.”

“If she isn't talking, how can you tell anything?”

“Just look in her eyes, Nick. I think you'll see.”

The lift carried them to the lower deck; with a purposeful stride, Aleta led the way to the imprisonment cell. She showed the guard outside her ident pass, and he stepped aside. He didn't question the tall young man beside her.

Nick felt awkward and more than a little apprehensive. What if this alien was the one who did all those terrible things to Kevin? What if she was waiting for the slightest chance to spring free and kill them all? What if-

“Come on,” Aleta said gently, “it's okay.”

He stepped close to the bars and looked in.

The small figure was pressed against the corner, knees drawn up and arms wrapped around them. Her head was bowed, obscuring her features. She was as still as a statue.

“Hey there,” Aleta said, quietly addressing the prisoner. “I'm going to come in, to check out those bandages. Okay?”

No response.

Aleta keyed the lock and cautiously entered. She motioned Nick to follow her. After a second's hesitation, he did so.

The doctor knelt by the woman, making sure her movements were deliberate and measured.

“How are you doing?” she asked.

The prisoner raised her head slowly, her eyes locking with the healer's.

Aleta gasped; Nick automatically took a step backwards in reaction to the sound.

“What happened?” Aleta exclaimed. No reply came, and she moved forward cautiously. “This wasn't here before,” she said, half to herself. Carefully she reached her hand towards an ugly bruise on the woman's left cheek.

“This is new,” the healer declared, a tinge of anger in her voice.

“Maybe she fell?” Nick asked, daring to ease closer.

The prisoner's glance flickered to his tall form, her eyes widening slightly.

“Nick,” Aleta said evenly, “I think you're scaring her. Kneel down.”

He did as requested, making sure he gave the woman plenty of space.

“No, she didn't fall,” Aleta continued. “This is a handprint. See, there? Fingermarks.”

Nick frowned. “But who-”

“The list should be fairly short,” Aleta said. “We'll see about that later.” She placed a gentle hand under the woman's chin, tipping her face upwards just slightly. “I'm sorry this happened,” she said. “Someone will answer for this, I promise.”

Gray eyes met hazel; it was Aleta that looked away first. She opened her bag. “I want to change your bandages and check your injuries,” she said. “Is that okay?”

A blank, gray stare was her only answer.

Cautiously, the healer touched the woman's injured arm, and, meeting no resistance, began unwrapping the dressing.

“Do you think she understands any of what we're saying?” Nick asked in a soft voice.

“I doubt it,” Aleta said. “I think it's more tone than anything. Why don't you talk to her while I work? It might distract her, put her at ease.”

“Um... what do I say?”

“I don't think it matters much.”

“Okay,” he said uncertainly. “Well, ah... you know, I never really met one of you. An alien, I mean. I always imagined the Enemy would look, I don't know, kind of ugly. You know, kind of reflect the way they treat other species and all. But you sure don't fit that picture,” he said.

Silvery gray eyes met his gaze, and he stopped speaking for a moment. He'd never seen eyes like those... he sensed intelligence, wariness, curiosity, and despair all at once. Her features were delicate and refined; still, there was a hardness, a determination, that was almost tangible. He imagined she might be quite attractive in other, cleaner, circumstances.

“Nick,” Aleta prompted.

“Yeah, sorry,” he said, flushing a bit. “Um... well, like I said, you sure don't fit the picture I had in my mind about what an alien would be. You could pass for anyone back home, except for your eyes, I mean. Never saw that color before. Strange, but pretty.” He shook his head. “Never mind I said that. This is just weird, talking to someone that probably doesn't understand anything I'm saying.” A small grin appeared on his lips. “I used to have a reputation for that... saying things no one else understood. They made sense to me, but for some reason it would confuse the guys. Brian... he's my best friend, even though he's Captain now... used to tease me terribly. Just like AJ. Howie, he used to just laugh, and Kevin... I guess I confounded him totally. He'd just shake his head and mutter something under his breath.”

The woman blinked, a flicker of a wince crossing her face.

“Sorry,” Aleta apologized, “I know that hurts. I didn't mean to do that.”

Gray eyes went back to Nick.

“Do you have a name?” he asked, then shook his head. “Of course you have a name, everyone has a name. That was a stupid question. Can you tell me what your name is?” He waited, but was answered with silence. “Right,” he said. “Well, my name is Nick. Nick Carter. I've known Aleta here for, well, I guess it's been three years now. We used to work together.”

The healer made a slight hissing sound, drawing Nick's attention. “What?” he asked.

“Her uniform,” Aleta said darkly. “It wasn't ripped before.” She indicated a tear that went from neckline to shoulder.

Nick went slightly pale. He didn't need a map and a guidebook. “But she's-”

“I need to examine her further to see how far this assault went,” she said. She schooled her voice and said, “Will you let me check you out? I want to know if you've been hurt any more-”

The moment Aleta's hand touched the alien's shoulder, it was caught in a vise-like grip. The pressure didn't increase; the woman simply held the hand steady, not allowing it to move.

“Okay,” Aleta said after a moment. “Maybe later.”

The grip eased, and gray eyes watched carefully. Aleta sat back with a sigh.

“This is wrong,” Nick declared.

“More than just wrong,” Aleta said. “It's an abomination.”

“What can we do?”

“After I'm done here, I'm going to have a little chat with the Captain. Then I'm going to find the security recordings and see if I can find out what happened that way.”

“Is it safe to leave her alone?” he asked. “I mean... whoever did this, he's got to have access. What's to stop him from coming back?”

Aleta chewed her lip. “I know you were going to turn in early, but do you think you could watch over her for about an hour?”

“Me?” he asked, startled.

“I trust you,” she said. “I know you. I can't say the same for that many people on the rest of the ship.”

“But... if anyone comes in, they'll know I don't belong here. I'll get in trouble, along with you, and I don't want to jeopardize your position, your career.”

“Here,” she said, withdrawing something from her breast pocket. “You're officially deemed a Medical Attendant third class.” She handed him a small ident tag. “I have the power to do that, you know. And now, you are acting under my orders. As far as my career... I'm a healer, a doctor. Once this ship gets back home, I'm out of the military for good. I've already composed my resignation.”

“If you're sure...”

“No one should be treated this way,” Aleta said, indicating the woman in the corner. “No one.”

“I agree,” he said. “Yes, I can stay. However long you need me to.”

She reached over and hugged the younger man. “Thanks, Nick. I owe you big time. If you're worried, just wait outside the cell. I'll be back as soon as I can.”

“Do what you have to,” he said.

Aleta turned back to the woman, who had been watching the couple closely. “I'm going away for a bit, but I'll be back. Nick will be here to watch over you, to protect you. You can trust him.”

She stood, took her medical kit, and stepped outside the cell. Without any more words, she left, locking the chamber door behind her.

Nick turned back to the alien and sat down, getting more comfortable. She didn't seem to mind; at least, it looked that way. He scooted back until he was pressed against the front bars, giving her the maximum amount of space in the cell.

“She's right, you know,” he said at last. “I'm here to protect you. It seems to me that you've been through enough as it is.” He paused. “Even if you did... I mean, if you had a part in what happened to Kevin... you deserve better treatment.” He shook his head slowly. “I have three sisters, you know. I keep thinking about them, wondering if they're okay and all. I suppose you have family somewhere... maybe they're wondering and worrying about you, too.”

He leaned back. “Back home, my family lives on this great coastal bay. We have an autofarm for fish... we raise them in the ocean, and make sure the harvest is replenished each time. The beach is great... I love the ocean. My brother Aaron and I... he's younger by three years... we go windriding and surfing whenever we aren't working. At least, we did. That was before the war. My folks were mad when I enlisted, but they didn't have a choice. They get government support for the farm... it's considered a vital industry... so they can't make too much of a fuss. I guess Aaron is still at home, we don't get much mail on duty. I bet he's grown a lot since I saw him last, four years ago. I hope they're all okay.”

The woman seemed to relax, just a little, her eyes studying his face as he talked. He continued.

“Now that the war is over, I really don't know what everyone's going to do. I don't think I could go back to my family life like before... I'd go stir crazy. I suppose I could go on to advanced education, but right now it just seems so... boring. I guess I'll have to wait and see what the guys decide. Cause, to tell you the truth, if there's any way to stay connected with them, I'd do whatever it takes. In a lot of ways, they're closer than my real family... my blood family. I remember once, when we were doing supply transfers to the fleet...”

~*~

She hadn't been able to enter Sleep; her newest injuries had generated too much pain to allow her to concentrate properly. Even if she were able to block it out, the risk of sustained unconsciousness was too great. She could not become any more vulnerable than she already was. The man with the hateful light in his eyes had easily overwhelmed her earlier; eventually, she would have no choice, but for now she wanted to remain aware.

She tensed when she heard a noise in the outer chamber, then settled into a still pose. The element of surprise was one of the few advantages she had.

There were voices, one familiar. The Healer had returned, but another man was at her side. There was no malice in the woman's voice, and she raised her head. The Healer seemed to have no knowledge of the earlier events; her gasp of surprise was sincere when she saw the mark. The man who now stood in the cell towered high; despite herself, she felt a flush of apprehension. But the Healer said soothing words, and the man knelt. He seemed to be wary.

She allowed the Healer's touch; without Sleep, she needed their primitive ways. Then the man began speaking, his words soft and rambling. She could almost hear the music in his voice. Among his flowing speech, she heard one word that captured her attention fully: he spoke of K'vn. Could K'vn be alive? Was he in this terrible place? If this was his people's place, they might be able to help him. Hope suddenly grew.

The Healer finally noticed the torn cloth; anger colored her words. A touch was halted; no more could she stand. The woman and the man spoke rapidly; the Healer left, while the man remained.

She couldn't help the worry; this man was almost as tall as K'vn, and could easily overwhelm her. But instead of coming closer, he sat farthest away and began speaking in rhythmical patterns.

His eyes were fascinating. They were such an unusual color, so much like the k'artith stones drawn from deep underground. His hair was as amazing; she had never seen such brightness. It seemed to glow with light. Against all reason, she felt the urge to touch the strands, wondering about their texture.

She allowed his voice to wrap around her like a blanket; other than the Healer, his words were the only gentle ones she'd heard. Of course, she could not completely trust him; too much was unknown. Once again, she wondered where K'vn was.