- Text Size +

 

Violently, he woke. His mind, still immersed in the emotions generated by the nightmare, tried to grasp images and details of the dream but, as usual, they fled too quickly. Heart pounding, he stared wide-eyed up at the dimly lit ceiling. It took a few moments to realize he wasn't in his cell.

Thank the gods.

He forced his breathing to even out, his pulse to calm; by degrees, he left the pain and terror behind. Slowly, he sat up, scrubbing at his face with a hand. His knee was pounding, as was his head; he let out a soft groan when he checked the time. It was still hours before their wake-up call.

Experience told him it would be pointless to attempt sleep again. However, there wasn't any need to endure the physical pain... not when Aleta had given him medication for that purpose. Before his imprisonment, he'd resisted taking meds for something as trivial as pain. He'd thought it a sign of weakness. Unless it was driving him to the point of unconsciousness, he could handle it. But that was in his other life. His time with the Enemy had changed that.

It had changed a lot of things.

Carefully, Kevin got to his feet, assessing the condition of his knee. Kicking the chair earlier had been a stupid stunt, one he was now paying for. At least Howie had managed to stop him from punching the wall.

He made his way out of his quarters, heading for the main room where he'd left the meds. When he got to the doorway, he saw a familiar figure silhouetted against the starry backdrop of the view portal.

“Vosh,” he said softly. Silver eyes quickly met his gaze. “What are you doing?”

She gestured briefly.

“Just looking, huh? Yeah, I guess we didn't get much of a chance to do that back on the Ship.” He hesitated. “How are you feeling?”

Okay.

“We haven't gotten much of a chance to talk.”

She measured his words, and frowned.

You should sleep, she said.

“I know,” he replied, moving to the table. He reached for the small bottle.

Dreams?

He merely nodded. She understood.

He unfastened the closure on the bottle and dispensed two pills into his hand. She watched him with curiosity.

“For pain,” he explained. “My knee... I tweaked it before. And a headache.”

Vosh came to stand beside him. He waited as she examined the small blue tablets in his palm.

“Aleta gave them to me.”

Magic? she asked.

He gave her a small smile. “Kind of. They'll eliminate the pain, help me to rest.”

Can do, she said, tapping herself on the chest.

“You should be resting, yourself,” he said. “I know this hasn't been easy for you lately.”

She looked at him questioningly.

He sighed. Carefully sitting down on the couch, he said, “I know about the attack. Here on the ship.”

Her expression was neutral as she sat beside him. She waited for him to continue.

“Why didn't you tell me earlier?” he said after a while, anger at the edges of his words. “You are supposed to be safe here, and-”

She stopped him by grasping his arm.

You hurt enough, she signed.

“Vosh, it's not right!” he said, looking down at her. “You were treated like... like the Enemy, and someone-”

It is over.

“Someone should answer for it,” he said, shaking his head. “The man who attacked you should pay, he broke our basic laws and morals-”

I am alive, she said. I am healed. I do not look back.

“How can you say that?” he exclaimed. “You can't just let this go!”

I do not forget, she said. But I move forward. It does not control me.

“It's still not right,” Kevin insisted. “Vosh, what...” He stopped, finding the words difficult to say. “What did he do? I know he hit you, and Nick said your uniform was ripped...” He closed his eyes for a moment, pushing back the wave of nausea. “How far did the attack go?”

She remained still for so long he thought she wasn't going to answer. But finally, she replied.

The man wanted control. To hurt, to make fear. To punish. To feel power. She paused. He did not get all he wanted.

Kevin weighed her answer. He opened his mouth to ask more questions, but stopped when he looked into her silver-gray eyes. They had been through so much; he knew better than to push the issue. Some things were not meant to be shared, and he accepted it reluctantly.

“Are you all right?” he asked painfully. “Really?”

I am, she said.

“I'm sorry it happened,” he said. He reached out a hand, and she was instantly in his embrace. Silently, the two held each other for several minutes.

Vosh drew back at last, and tilted her head up. With a hand, she traced a line across his forehead and looked a question at him.

“I can take the meds for that,” he said. “You shouldn't-”

Please.

He didn't have the ability to deny her request. Setting the pills down on the table, he turned back and gave her a gentle smile.

At her gesture, he stretched out on the couch, surprised that the piece of furniture easily accommodated his tall frame. He closed his eyes, feeling her feather-soft touch on his face as he had a thousand times before. Slowly he relaxed; he had learned the healing went much better if he was receptive. Within a minute, he felt the slightly odd sensation of energy flow through her fingertips onto the surface of his skin. Then, all his focus was on the headache pain as it slowly, but surely, vanished. He wanted to open his eyes, tell Vosh it had worked, but for some reason his eyelids were heavy as lead. Without warning, he slipped into sleep, never realizing that Vosh had put him there.

~*~

Brian Littrell rolled out of bed, looking very un-Captain-like. His dark blond hair stood at odd angles, and sleep wrinkles cris-crossed his face. With a yawn and a slight stumble, he made it to the bathroom and made himself somewhat presentable. At least, it was good enough to wander out and get coffee.

He stretched and yawned again as he made the short trip down the hallway to the main lounge area of the Suite. Going directly to the sidebar, he punched an order in for coffee, and watched the cup fill with hot, strong liquid. He added milk and sugar, inhaling the aroma from the cup with something akin to pleasure. Some of the simplest things were the best.

He took an appreciative sip and turned around, halting his step when he spied the couch. After a moment, he resumed drinking his coffee, quietly taking a seat where he could observe.

It didn't take a lot of hard thinking to figure out that Kevin must have been restless, probably due to nightmares or pain. The man was sleeping soundly now, however... no doubt thanks to the figure curled up on the floor.

Brian knew Vosh could ease pain as well as heal; since she was asleep now, he guessed that she'd done something to help Kevin. He wondered how deeply their feelings went for each other... obviously there was a bond, a strong connection, between them. It seemed to go beyond friendship; could they have become lovers on board the Enemy Ship? He couldn't imagine the hell that his friend had endured; to think Kevin had found solace in Vosh's arms gave him a small measure of comfort.

And what was her story, exactly? He wondered if he would ever know.

He took another sip of coffee, then turned at the sound of someone approaching from behind.

“Mornin', Cap,” AJ said in a rough voice. “A bit early, isn't it?”

“We're going back to the Parrin today,” he answered quietly. “I want to be ready to leave directly after the assembly.”

“I hear that,” AJ muttered. He glanced at the sleeping pair, then fetched a cup of black coffee for himself. “Wonder what's the story there.”

“I think Kevin probably couldn't sleep, due to pain, and came out to get his meds. They're still on the table-”

“Not that,” AJ interrupted. “I mean, with those two. You know.”

“Not sure,” Brian said after a moment. “Kevin hasn't really talked about his life on the ship, what conditions he had to endure. Obviously he and Vosh had access to one another, but...” He shrugged. “Until he tells us, himself, we won't really know.”

Although they were being quiet, a few seconds later the figure on the couch began to stir. Kevin blinked several times, and the pair could see the temporary confusion on his face.

“Good morning,” Brian greeted.

With a glance and a slight scowl, Kevin looked his way. Then, in an instant, awareness clarified. Inhaling deeply, the tall man pushed himself into a sitting position and yawned.

“Morning Bri, AJ. What time is it?”

“About an hour and a half before the big ceremony, or whatever it is, that Miles has concocted. How you feeling?” Brian asked.

After a slight pause, Kevin smiled. “I feel good,” he said, marveling at the sensation. “Leg's a bit stiff, but no headache.” He looked down and his expression softened to what could only be called affection. Gently placing a hand on her shoulder, he gave a solid shake.

At first, there was no response, but when he called her name and shook again, Vosh opened her eyes. Before she even sat up, she gave a quick sign.

“Yeah, I'm fine,” Kevin answered, holding a hand out to help her up.

She studied his face briefly before taking his hand, then nodded.

“Want coffee?” AJ asked, raising his cup slightly.

“Shower first,” Kevin said. “Then a definite yes.” At a touch on his arm, he looked back to Vosh. In a flurry of motion, she asked a question. “Sure, come on.”

He stood, stretched, and gave another yawn. “We'll be back in a bit,” he said to his two shipmates. “Can you call for some breakfast? I'm starving.”

“Ah, sure,” Brian said. “Anything in particular?”

“It's all good,” was the answer. Kevin took Vosh's hand and headed down the hallway towards the bathroom facilities.

There was a long silence until AJ said, “Well, I guess that answers that question.”

“I'll order us breakfast,” Brian stated, refraining from comment.

A few minutes later, Nick stumbled into the main room, hair sticking out in all directions and blinking sleepily. Without asking, AJ dialed up a cup of coffee and handed it to the silent young man.

Nick mumbled something that AJ knew was a thank-you and plopped down on the couch. Brian grinned; he knew, from experience, that it would be a two-cup wake-up for the Navigator. Until then, he wouldn't be of much use.

Howie strode in a minute later, looking perfectly groomed, already wearing his dress uniform. “Good morning everyone,” he said cheerfully.

Nick gave a small groan, but the other two returned his greeting.

“Looking pretty sharp today,” AJ smirked.

“I look sharp every day,” Howie responded automatically. “You should try it, Aje.”

“Which one of us has more female action than they can handle, hmm?”

The question was pointedly ignored as Howie fixed some strong tea for himself. Cup in hand, he took a seat. “Is Kevin up?”

“Apparently,” AJ said with a gleam in his eye. “He and Vosh are taking a shower.”

Howie choked on his tea, nearly spilling some on his uniform. He glared at his friend. “Warn me next time, will you?”

“Say... what?” Nick asked, speaking at last.

“Kevin. Vosh. Shower. Together,” AJ said. “My admiration for the man just went up several points.”

“Bri, is it true?”

“What Kevin does and does not do is his own business, and I want all talk of it belayed.” His words were spoken in the 'command' tone they knew so well.

AJ raised an eyebrow at the order, but said nothing. The subject was, for the time being, closed.

~*~

Breakfast arrived with a visitor: Aleta Simpson greeted the four men with a smile. She took a second look at Howie, and her smile hitched up a degree.

“There's nothing like a handsome man in uniform,” she said, a spark in her eye.

Howie, despite his best efforts, blushed hotly. Aleta merely laughed and patted his shoulder.

“Kevin?” she asked.

“Ah, he and Vosh haven't finished with their, um, shower.”

She considered Howie's statement. It seemed to answer quite a few of her own questions.

“I need to speak with him before the ceremony.”

“Have you had breakfast yet?” Brian asked. “There's plenty.”

“I'll stick with juice,” she said. “I've been up for several hours and ate before my shift began.”

They were engaged in a light conversation when Kevin, dressed in the formal uniform Brian had kept, arrived.

He nodded to Aleta and headed for the breakfast mini-buffet that had been delivered. “I think my appetite is coming back,” he said as he filled a plate.

AJ snickered, but Howie quickly elbowed him into silence.

“I need to speak to you,” Aleta said. “It's about Vosh.”

“She should be finished in a minute or two,” Kevin said, bringing his plate to the table. “She didn't want to get out of the shower.” He grinned briefly and shook his head.

“I... can imagine,” Aleta muttered. She cleared her throat. “You know you'll be expected to give a small speech,” she said. “Have you thought about what you'll say?”

“I'm no speech-maker,” he replied. “But for sure I want to make it clear that Vosh is not the enemy, and that Miles made a huge mistake in addition to acting like a jerk.”

“What will you say when you're asked about Vosh? Because the questions will come, and soon. Which is what I need to talk to you about.”

“Well,” Kevin said slowly, “I was planning on sticking with the truth.”

“Perhaps that's not exactly the wisest choice.”

He looked up with a question in his eyes.

“I don't mean about her being an ally, or an alien that was a prisoner. Or that she helped you during your imprisonment, and escape.”

“Then what-”

“I think you should keep silent about her healing abilities. Completely.”

Puzzled, the former captain lowered his cup. “But why? What she can do is incredible-”

“Exactly,” Aleta declared. “It'll be bad enough once we get Home... there will be throngs of people wanting to take a poke at her. Although she's not the Enemy, she is an alien... and very close to us, physiologically. I personally know a dozen researchers who would kill to get a first hand look at her.”

“She's not a specimen,” Kevin said indignantly. “I won't allow that kind of-”

“You won't have a choice,” she interjected. “You, yourself, will be going through countless evaluations, debriefings, tests and interviews during the first few weeks, at the very least. She won't be allowed to be with you during that time.”

“There's no way she should go through that crap,” Nick said hotly. “She doesn't even understand our language! Well, not a lot, anyway. It's not right.”

“I agree,” Aleta said. “Now, take it one step further. If it were known that she could heal, simply by touching...” Her words faded.

Silence enveloped the group for nearly a minute.

“The demand would never stop,” the doctor said quietly. “Her life would never be her own.”

“I've seen her pushed almost past her limits,” Kevin said in a near-whisper. “There was one time that the Enemy... they...” He stopped, closing his eyes.

“They tortured her?” Nick asked, horrified.

“No,” Kevin said roughly. “It was me. They nearly killed me. I had... I was unconscious, so I had no way of preventing...” He fought to control the memory. “She healed me, saved my life, at nearly the cost of her own. When I found out, I was... less than thankful. I didn't want to live with her death on my conscience, and... well, I made it clear that I wasn't worth it. Not at her expense.” He swallowed. “She, in turn, made it clear that she made her own choices, and as a Healer, did what she felt was needed.”

“Which is my point. She should be allowed to make her own choices, in her own time.”

“I take it you have a plan of some kind?” Brian said.

“I do.” She leaned back. “Nothing can be done about the fact she's an alien. That's already made news back Home... but only a few people know about her unique talent. The five of us, three second-level certifieds, and two of my med techs. I'm not sure about Lt. Raines, but I can ask.”

“But... what about everyone that saw Kevin's hand so badly damaged? It's healed, and he's been all around the ship. How can that be explained?” Howie asked.

“Yes, well...” Aleta began. She cleared her throat. “Sorry to say, but I have to admit I made an... overestimation... on the extent of the damage. I found one scanner to have a defective feedback unit, and in all the excitement of the event, I made a diagnostic error.” She gave a convincing, apologetic sigh. “The surgery I and my team performed was able to correct the relatively minor amount of damage that was actually present.” She bowed her head in shame.

“You're good,” AJ said after a moment. “I even believed that for a second.”

The doctor looked up, the remorse gone from her expression. “If Miles can buy it, we're home free. I have the loyalty of my people, the records have been properly, ah, adjusted, and with a little luck we should be able to pull it off. I have a flexi-cast Kevin can wear during the ceremony for effect, which you can ditch the moment you get back on the Parrin.”

“I'm glad you brought this up,” Kevin said. “I hadn't really thought about the implications.” Suddenly he flinched as a hand touched his shoulder from behind. He turned quickly, meeting Vosh's even gaze.

“We-”

She signed a question, not waiting for him to finish.

“All right.” He indicated the array of food on the side tables. “Get something to eat and I'll explain.” He addressed the others. “Apparently she heard us talking.”

“And...”

“She didn't understand all what we said. I've got to translate.”

“She'll be coming with us on the Parrin, right?” Howie asked. “Maybe we can try and teach her more of our language.”

“I was hoping you'd offer,” Kevin said. “You know more than the rest of us.”

The Communications officer seemed taken aback for a moment, then said, “I can try. But what about the signs you two use?”

“Maybe you can learn them from her. She's pretty smart.”

“You know, if she could write, it'd make things a lot easier,” Nick said, pushing his plate to the side.

“Thanks for volunteering, Nick,” Brian said. He grinned. “I'm sure you'll do a great job.”

“What? Me? But I...”

“You do know how to read and write, correct?”

“Well, sure, but-”

“Then it's settled.” Brian gave a satisfied nod.

“Thanks, Chaos, I appreciate that.” Kevin gave him a sincere smile.

“Ah... sure.” He looked a bit confused, but didn't protest any more. There wasn't any way he would ever want to disappoint his oldest 'brother'.

~*~

Howie watched as Kevin explained... or tried to... the earlier conversation to Vosh. The look on the small woman's face was one of intense concentration as they signed back and forth, and it wasn't long before she gave a signal that Howie now knew meant 'stop'. But instead of asking for a better explanation, or indicating he was going too fast, she simply gave Kevin a nod.

“Kev?” he asked, when the man stopped and went back to finishing his breakfast.

“She understands,” Kevin said. “Apparently this isn't the first time the issue has come up.”

Howie frowned. “What do you mean?”

“She didn't give me any details,” he said. “Just that she knew her ability had to be kept secret, and she would be careful.”

“Just like that?”

“Howie,” Kevin said carefully, “in all the time I've known Vosh, there's one thing I've learned. When she stops giving information, that's it. And it's not because of the language barrier.” He shook his head. “I imagine it's part of how she survived so long on that Ship.”

“How long was that?” Nick asked in a quiet voice.

“I don't really know,” Kevin admitted. “Her concept of time is really different. Maybe once she has grasped our language she can give more details. She had to have been there since before the War. She came along with the O'mosk.”

He watched the woman in question as she surveyed the buffet offerings. The look on her face was one of curiosity; he wished he knew what she was thinking, as he had a thousand times before.

“I want to go through what I'm going to say for a few minutes,” he said, turning back to his former crew. “We should leave for the gathering hall in twenty.”

“You heard the man,” Brian said, standing up. “Pack all your gear, I don't want to waste any more time here than we have to.”

“I should be going,” Aleta said. “And here,” she said, handing Kevin a small packet. “The flexi-cast for your hand.”

“Thanks,” he said. “For this... and everything.”

She smiled. “No problem. Good luck with the speech.”

~*~

The Captain of the Sealk checked his appearance one final time in the full-length mirror. He flicked away an imagined dust mote from his shoulder lapel, then allowed himself a satisfied smile. The throngs back home would see what he could: the steadfast, heroic captain that had brought the War to a close. The buttons and ribbons and insignia of his rank glimmered on his immaculate uniform, the perfect picture of sharpness and order. It was impressive, to say the least.

The broadcast back Home had been his own idea; a little advanced glory would only help his personal plans for the future. Soon he could dump the tedious military life and begin focusing on the truly important things; namely, his political career and the accumulation of much deserved wealth.

He checked the time and exited his quarters, striding confidently down the corridor. He reviewed his speech as he walked, knowing countless people would be listening. The only slight flaw in his plan was Richardson. The man was unpredictable; the violent episode in Sickbay had only confirmed his instability. No one knew what he might do when it was his turn to say a few words.

Miles shrugged; he doubted Richardson had enough mental clarity to put together anything significant. While the spotlight would be on the ex-prisoner of war for a few minutes, the rest of the focus would be on himself.

Smiling, he made his way to the conference area.

~*~

“Nervous?” Howie asked in a low voice.

“Not really,” Kevin answered. “I'll be glad to get this fiasco over, though, and get off this ship.”

“I second that,” Brian said. “I mean, the crew is friendly enough, but-” He paused. “Ah. Here comes Captain Peacock now.”

Howie stifled a snort. True or not, he didn't dare laugh out loud.

“Ah, come early to get a front row seat?” Miles asked as he approached the five men.

“Hardly,” Brian said in a calm, even voice. “We wanted to make sure we had a spot nearest the exits.”

“Believe me, Littrell, no one will be celebrating more than I the moment you leave my ship.”

“I have my doubts about that,” came the reply.

Miles ignored the shorter man and turned to Kevin. “Is that the only thing they could find for you to wear?” he asked, indicating the loose-fitting uniform.

“It's my uniform, and I'll be wearing it proudly,” Kevin declared. “Got a problem with that?”

“No, I don't really care one way or another. I can't force someone to take a little pride in their appearance.” He glanced around. “Where's your little shadow?”

“Her name is Vosh, and-”

“Easy, Kev,” Howie muttered, placing a warning hand on his friend's arm.

“She's resting,” Brian provided. “Away from this circus. She's the lucky one this morning, I think.”

“Mmm.” Miles looked past the blond and saw someone gesturing. “Unfortunately I have to leave this riveting dialog and check on the proceedings. Don't worry, Richardson,” he said, giving a glance in his direction, “I've got all the bases covered. You don't have to say anything at all if you don't want to. I'm sure everyone would understand.” With a final, condescending look, Miles brushed past the group and crossed the room.

“You okay?” Howie asked once Miles was out of range.

“Yes,” Kevin answered through gritted teeth.

“Don't let him get to you,” he said. “Honestly, Miles would be overjoyed to see you lose it in front of everyone.”

“It'd almost be worth it.” Kevin let out a long, slow breath. “But I won't give him the satisfaction.”

~*~

“...so you can rest assured, our place in the history books is guaranteed,” Miles continued. “It just goes to show what superior leadership, and discipline, can accomplish.” He paused. “Everyone here should be proud of their service to the Defense Force, and to the Sealk. We shared the work, we will share the glory as well.” He looked up and gave a broad, satisfied smile. Applause from the gathered crew came quickly, and he basked in the glow for a few moments. Then, clearing his throat, he spoke again.

“It seems only fitting that Captian Kevin Richardson say a few words at this time. We all know of the ordeal he's been through, so I'm sure he'll be brief. Captain,” he said, stepping back from the podium and nodding towards Kevin.

As Kevin took his place, AJ McLean leaned next to his fellow crewman and said, “I thought Miles would never finish.”

“Well, anything that Kevin will have to say is bound to be a zillion times more interesting,” Nick whispered back.

The two fell silent as Kevin stepped up to speak.

For a moment, the former prisoner's eyes scanned the crowd slowly, deliberately. Then, after taking a deep breath, he began.

Hero. I've heard that word a lot lately. But what makes a person a hero, really? With all due respect to Captain Miles, I have to disagree with his definition.

“A hero isn't someone who seeks fame and glory. The title doesn't come from some great achievement that is fit for history books. No, I believe a true hero is someone who does their best with what they have, who gives their all for a purpose greater than self. That describes every single person here... each of you have given up comfort of home, the security of family, everything familiar back Home to fight against an Enemy who share none of our values or beliefs. Very few here were military personnel, yet you answered the call bravely and without hesitation. You all... each and every one... are heroes.” He paused, remaining silent for several heartbeats.

“I never thought I'd be returning Home,” he continued in a lower voice. “I can't begin to tell you how gratified I am for what everyone's done to help me lately. It was your teamwork, your efforts, that secured the escape pod that carried me and my companion. Credit goes to the crew of the Parrin as well.” He gave his former crew a momentary glance that was full of gratitude. “Without their insistence, and your cooperative efforts, the pod would have surely been destroyed.”

“But there's another who I owe my very life to... her presence has caused much confusion and misjudgment. I would like to set the record straight here and now.” He caught Miles' attention for a brief moment, then pointedly looked away. “As you all know, I was not alone in the escape pod. The woman who was with me was mistaken for one of the Enemy and treated harshly. Luckily the truth was revealed before too much damage was done.” A grim expression settled on his face.

“She was a prisoner aboard the Omosk, kept there since before the Enemy brought war to our people. Despite the fact that she cannot speak, and did not know our language, she risked everything to become my ally. She saved my life on several occasions... without her, I would have died.” He swallowed against his emotions, then continued. “She comes from another world, another people. So, alien... yes. Enemy... never.” Bowing his head for a moment, Kevin gathered his thoughts. “She's another example of a true hero. Her belief in me, the value she placed on my life, made all the difference in my survival. She managed our escape... against all hope and reason, she made the effort with everything she possessed. She didn't do it for fame, didn't do it for glory or riches or recognition. She did it because she believed. And in that way, she isn't an alien at all. She's one of us.”

He scanned the crowd one final time. “A true hero's reward is knowing, deep down, that what they did was right. That called to task again, they would do the same. I am truly grateful I'll be making the journey Home in such honorable company. Thank you all.”

For a long, suspended moment, silence permeated the room. Then the crowd broke into sincere, heartfelt applause, punctuated by cheers and shouts. Kevin left the podium to a standing ovation.

Brian watched his former Captain make his way through the crowd, noting with immense satisfaction that the only person in the room not smiling was Jeremy Miles. He clapped a hand on his friend's shoulder, shot Miles a parting look, and happily led his crew out the door.

~*~

Aleta turned off her vidmonitor with a smile. Kevin had come through, thoroughly undermining Miles and winning the respect and admiration of the entire audience, herself included. She turned around and said, “Okay, Vosh, it's time to go.”

The woman in question rose, a neutral expression on her face. Aleta doubted the alien had understood much of what had been broadcast; once her initial curiosity about the vidmonitor had been expressed, Vosh had pretty much ignored the speeches.

“You'll be much happier in a stable, friendly environment, I'm sure,” Aleta said as she led the way out of the Med bay to the shuttle hanger. “You're lucky to have Howie as a teacher, he's wonderful to work with.” She smiled. “Actually, they're a great bunch of guys, every one of them. The best crew I've ever served with.”

Vosh didn't respond, but Aleta wasn't surprised. She knew communication was difficult; hopefully Howie could build a bridge soon.

“You'll be able to relax on the Parrin, it won't be like here,” she continued. “We've got nine days until we get Home; I'll come and visit when I get the chance.” She stepped up to the lift and activated it. They moved onto the platform and the doors swished shut. “You'll be able to rest... and so will Kevin. I imagine things will be quite chaotic once we get planetside; there's no way around that, I'm afraid. Hopefully it won't last too long.”

Silver-gray eyes studied Aleta for a second, then looked away.

“I wish I knew what you were thinking,” the doctor said softly. “I imagine this has been so... confusing for you, to say the least.”

A simple nod, then a shrug, followed the comment, and Aleta realized that Vosh had indeed understood what she'd been saying. “You did follow that, didn't you?”

Vosh nodded, then qualified it with a slight hand gesture.

“Mostly,” Aleta guessed. A definite nod yes.

There wasn't any time left for questions and answers as they exited the lift directly in front of the shuttle bay. Instead, Aleta gave her companion a smile.

“Here,” she said, handing a small bundle to Vosh. “Your clothes, and a few extra items you might need.”

“There you are, just in time,” came the call from near the shuttle's door. “They're ready to roll as soon as we get aboard.”

Vosh looked from Brian's grin to the shuttle, her expression guarded. Then her gaze shifted to a more familiar figure.

Kevin greeted the two women with a smile. “Our gear's been secured... let me take that,” he said, reaching for Vosh's bundle. To his surprise, she clutched it to her chest. Her action made him pause. “Ah, okay, you can carry it yourself,” he said carefully. He was answered with a definitive nod.

“Excuse me, Captain Richardson,” said a uniformed man from the shuttle's hatch, “but the pilot would like to know if you'd care to sit in the second seat. Thought you might like to see your old ship on approach.”

Kevin blinked. My old ship... He found his voice a second later. “Yes, I'd be honored,” he said, hoping the slight tremor in his voice wasn't too audible.

Brian, who had joined the three, leaned over and said, “You're due. Go ahead.”

“Safe journey,” Aleta said. “I've got to get back to my duties, but I'll contact you soon.”

“Thanks, Doc,” Brian answered. “We appreciate all you've done.”

Kevin gave her a grateful look, then turned and walked through the shuttle's hatch; Aleta left with a short wave a moment later.

“Well, looks like they're waitin' for us,” Brian said, gesturing towards the ship. “A quick trip and then you'll get to see our home away from Home.” He took a step forward, but stopped when he realized Vosh hadn't moved. “Come on, darlin'... it's time to go.”

Vosh took a single step backwards, her face a shade paler than before. While her expression didn't qualify as fear, Brian recognized definite anxiety.

“What's wrong?” he asked, puzzled. When the only reply he received was a shake of her head, he frowned. He took a step closer to her. “It's safe, I've done this a hundred times,” he said. “Nick and Howie and AJ and Kevin are already on board. It'll be okay.”

His words didn't seem to help, and he wondered if she'd understood them at all. He tried again. “Vosh, we have to go on board. Don't you want to leave this ship, and go to our own? I'm sure Kevin has talked about the Parrin before.”

She bit her lip, flicking a glance at him for just a second before returning her gaze to the ship.

He was about to call to Kevin when realization struck. He ran a hand through his hair, then spoke softly.

“It's the ship itself, isn't it?” he asked. “First the O'mosk, then the escape pod... now here. No wonder you're gun-shy. Space ships haven't exactly equaled good experiences for you, have they?” After a second's hesitation, he held out a hand. “Come on,” he said. “You trusted me once, now I'm asking you again.”

She wrenched her focus from the sleek lines of the shuttle to his outstretched hand. For several seconds, she studied his face, then bit her lip again. Slowly, she moved forward and, after an agonizingly suspenseful pause, took his hand.

He gave her an approving smile. “I promise this trip will be a good one. Let's go make sure it's not Nick navigating, we'll want to actually find the Parrin.” He smirked. “Don't tell him I said that.”

He laughed at Vosh's raised eyebrow, squeezed her hand, and led her to the hatchway. He was gratified to notice only a tiny falter in step when Vosh crossed the threshold.

~*~

A wealth of emotions flowed through Kevin as the short trip progressed. Gratitude, relief, apprehension, anticipation... As the small ship came into clear view, unexpected memories bubbled to the surface. The day he'd taken command of her, his pride in launching their premier mission, the first battle she'd fought in... the last time he'd seen her through his viewscreens as he flew on special solo assignment. Although it had been just over half a year since that moment, it seemed an eternity. He had changed, fundamentally... but she looked exactly the same as he remembered. The thought gave him an odd sense of comfort.

The shuttle pilot deftly maneuvered the craft to the Parrin's docking bay, linking up without so much as a jar. Kevin acknowledged the skill of the man, gave his thanks, and wasted no time getting to the doors. He realized that excitement had overtaken all other emotions... something he hadn't anticipated. Unable to keep the smile from his face, he greeted his shipmates as they all gathered together. Then, the doors opened, and he stepped forward, never so glad to see the inside of the humble ship as at that very moment.