- Text Size +
Author's Chapter Notes:

double post today in case I can't tomorrow!  :)

 

Chapter 29

            When we're close to home, Ella says, "Mom, can Jamie stay again tonight?"

            I say, "If it's ok with Linda, I'm fine with it.  Want me to call her?"

            She says, "Please?"

            After talking to Linda, I find out Jamie's got family visiting and her cousin is spending the night at Jamie's house.  They plan on going bowling and she invited Ella to go with them and stay at their house tonight.  I tell Linda I will call her back as soon as I talk to Ella.

            When I hang up and explain what's going on, Ella seems sad.  I say, "What's wrong, Ella?  Don't you want to go?  You love bowling."

            She says, "Yeah, but..."

            AJ says, "Ella, if you want to go, it's ok.  I'm not going to be mad or hurt.  I can spend tomorrow with you and we can do whatever you want."

            She says, "Are you sure?  I mean, I want to spend time with you too."

            He says, "I know Ella.  But I know you want to hang out with your friends.  I remember being 14. When you come and see me on the road, you won't have them.  I'm not mad if you want to go."

            She hugs his neck and says, "Thanks.  I'm really glad you're here."

            Holding her, he looks at me and says, "So am I, Ella."

            I call Linda back and tell her Ella wants to go with them.  She says she'll pick the girls up at 8:00 for bowling.   We get home at 7:15 and I send the girls immediately up to shower, telling Ella to use my bathroom. 

Before they go, they both hug Nick, thanking him for their fun day.  When he kisses them each on the cheek, both girls blush and almost break out into giggles.  After they disappear, Nick says, "I'll see you at the air port, AJ."

I say, "You're staying in town?"

He says, "Yeah, just gonna go to a club tonight and relax with a friend."

AJ says, "Well, I hope you have fun, Man."

When I see Nick's eyes find Susan, I know something is going on.  He says, "OH, I think I'll have a lot of fun, AJ."

When Susan's eyes meet mine and she blushes, I get the stupidest smile on my face.  I hug Nick and say, "Thanks for today.  The girls had a blast."  I hug Susan and say, "I get details, Suze."

She laughs and says, "I'm sure I'll see you tomorrow.  I'll talk to you later."

After they leave, I put away the photo albums while AJ falls back on the couch.  He says, "Thanks for taking the pictures for us to look at.  Mom loved them."

I say, "I'll put together an album for her too. Ella will help me, she loves to scrapbook."

He says, "Hey, what about me?"

I laugh and say, "We'll make one for you too. You didn't think we'd leave you out, did you?"

He stands and comes over to me, pulling me into his arms.  He says, "We're talking after the girls leave, aren't we?"

I say, "If you want to we can."

He says, "I want to. It's important."

I lay my head on his shoulder and say, "I know."

He rubs my back and says, "Today was fun."

I say, "It was.  I thought Nick was just here to meet Ella, but now I'm thinking he had an ulterior motive."

AJ says, "What kind of motive?"

I laugh and say, "Susan.  Who do you think he's clubbing with tonight?"

He says, "Really?"

I say, "Yeah, remind me to call her tomorrow and find out what happened."

He chuckles and says, "You got it, Babe."

I hear Ella calling me from upstairs.  She says, "Mom, where are my green shorts?"

I say, "In the laundry room in the clean laundry. I'll bring them up."  I look up at AJ and say, "Why don't you relax and unwind?  I'll be right back."

He says, "Why don't I go up and do some reading?"

I know he's talking about my journals. I say, "Wait till the girls leave.  I'm sure you'll have questions."

I go into the laundry room and grab the basket of clean clothes, carrying it upstairs.  AJ follows closely behind me.  When I knock on Ella's door, she opens it just enough to take the basket.  I say, "Just get what you need. I can put the rest away later."

She says, "Thanks Mom," and shuts the door.

I look at AJ and say, "I do believe I was dismissed."

He laughs and says, "She's very independent."

I say, "More than she should be."  Going into my room, I kick off my shoes and throw them in the closet.  I turn to see AJ holding one of my journals.  I say, "Anxious?"

He says, "More than you know.  But you could distract me."

Seeing the smirk on his face, I say, "How?"

He leans back on his elbows and says, "Strip for me."

Laughing, I walk over to him and stand by his legs.  I say, "I would but I think the girls need to leave first."

He sighs and sits up, pulling me into his arms.  I cradle his head against my stomach as he says, "I'm looking forward to what's underneath these clothes."

I look at the clock and say, "I need to rush the girls.  Linda will be here soon." 

He pulls my shirt up and kisses my stomach before saying, "To be continued."

I go to Ella's door and knock, saying, "Girls, Linda will be here anytime, let's go." 

Ella opens her door and AJ says, "Wow, look how cute you look."  And she does.  She's wearing green shorts with a pink top and has her hair in a French braid.  When Jamie steps up, I just smile.  She's wearing pink shorts with a green top, and her hair fixed the same way.  AJ whistles and says, "You both look cute.  I think we should keep you home."

Ella rolls her eyes and Jamie giggles.  I say, "Ella, did you pack your bag?"

She picks it up and says, "Right here Mom."  Before I can reply, a horn blows outside.  We walk the girls downstairs and hug them at the door. 

Jamie says, "I really had a blast."  Turning to AJ she says, "It's been really great meeting you."

He says, "Thanks Jamie.  I'm glad you got to be here with Ella this weekend."

Ella hugs me and says, "Thanks again Mom."  When she hugs AJ she holds on for a few extra seconds and says, "I'm really glad you're here."

He kisses the side of her head and says, "This is the happiest weekend of my life Ella.  I'm so glad to be here too."

After they leave, I close the door and lock it, leaning against it.  AJ puts his hands on the door by my head and says, "I think I'll shower and do some reading."

With my hands tickling his sides, I say, "Would you like something to drink?"

He says, "No, I'm good.  But I could use some company."

            Smiling shyly, I say, "Why don't you go get in the shower.  I'm going to lock up.  I'll be right there."

            He kisses me and says, "I'll look forward to it."

            After he disappears upstairs, I take a minute to catch my breath.  He's got me on a roller coaster of emotion.  I'm so afraid of what he'll think of me when he reads my journals, but at the same time, excitement fills my soul.  I love this man.  He acts like he loves me.  I guess now it's time to find out the truth.

Chapter End Notes:

let me know! :)