- Text Size +

 

                Kristie slid out from underneath the car on Howie’s skateboard, wiping sweat off her brow. “All right, I think all the belts are tightened, or at least as tight as I can get them,” she said, standing up.

                Howie grinned softly, “I’m sure they’re fine,” he said, trying to reassure his friend. He had been leaning over, tightening a few nuts and bolts which were holding the carberator in place.

                Kristie nodded and set the towel down, glancing at him, “Thirsty?” she asked, reaching for a towel, wiping her hands off so Mrs. Dorough wouldn’t kill her for getting oil and grease all over her kitchen.

                “Yeah, I am actually,” he admitted. “A little hungry, too.”

                Kristie started towards the door and glanced back at him, “Any requests?”

                “Nope,” he said, leaning over the car again, starting to work again.

                When he heard the door close, he snuck under the hood, tightening all the belts, hoping to be able to get them all done before Kristie came back outside.

                It wasn’t that he didn’t appreciate the help. Aside from his dad, Kris was the only one even willing to help him rebuild his mustang. It had honestly surprised him how many “friends” were blowing him off when it came to working on the car. He figured as soon as it was done, that would be when his “friends” would pay attention to the fact he had a car, begging him for rides. He was generally a nice guy, willing to bend over backwards for people he cared about, but he made himself a promise: Kristie was the only one he would give rides to. It was only fair since she was the only one who had been helping him this past month.

                He heard the door open then close and ice tinkling in the glasses before he saw feet walking towards the car. He briefly wondered if he had enough time to slide out from under the car but saw Kristie’s face in the gaps of the machine leaning over, looking straight at him, and knew he couldn’t.

                “Tightening the belts?” she asked, perking an eyebrow.

                “Uhh-“ he couldn’t think of an excuse to be under the car fast enough.

                “How much of my work have you had to redo?” she asked, frowning a little.

                “Uhh-“ he started again, not wanting to admit to fixing almost all her work.

                “I see,” was all she said and put her foot on his shoulder, pushing him so he slid out from under the car. She walked around to where he was not sitting on the skateboard.

                “Kris-“ he started, looking very apologetic.

                “Do you even want my help?” she asked, sitting cross legged in front of him and handing him the lemonade his mom had just made.

                “Of course! I swear, all I do is tighten bolts  so they don’t fall off while I’m driving!” he explained to his friend. “Kris, you’re my best-friend, and I love hanging out with you here.  Besides, your hands are small and can get into places I need to but can’t. Please, don’t stop helping me,” he pleaded gently.

                “Are you sure?” she asked, searching his eyes.

                “Positive,” he smiled. “Cross my heart,” he finished, crossing his fingers over his heart to show her how serious he was.

                “Hope to die?” she whispered, looking up to see Howie’s nod. “Okay…” she took another sip of her lemonade before standing up and getting back to work. “You know, if you had tried to lie I would’ve seen right through you.”

                “Curse of being the best-friend,” he chuckled. “You realize you’re the only one who’se been helping?”

                “What about Dan? Or Josh?” she asked, surprised he didn’t count them.

                Howie shook his head no, “They keep saying they will, but then things keep coming up.”

                Kristie nodded, “So even though you have to fix everything I do, you don’t want to get rid of me… I see, I’m in a position of power now, it seems.” She looked over at him,  smirking.

                “You’re female, that auttomatically gives you power,” he said honestly.

                “I can tell you’ve been paying attention to what your mom’s taught you, good boy,” she laughed, ruffling his hair before getting back to work.

                “Hey! Watch the hair!”he laughed before snapping her ass with a towel.

                She shrieked and tried to cover herself from future attacks while running away from him at the same time. She dropped her wrench with a loud clatter, which made Howie laugh.

                “Think that’s funny?” she asked, scowling at him. She reached for her own towel, twirling it before snapping it at him.

                The car was forgotten as the two teens just played around before Howie’s mom came outside. “Hard at work, I see,” she chuckled. “Howie, dinner’s ready,” Paula smiled, picking up the lemonade glasses.

                Howie nodded softly and turned to Kristie, about to say goodbye. The words died on his lips as he heard his mom say something else.

                “Kristie, you’re always welcome to join us. There’s always plenty of food left over,” Paula smiled at the young woman.

                Kristie smiled at the older woman. “Thank you, Mrs. Dorough. I’m never afraid of being poisoned when I eat here,” she laughed. “May I use your phone to let my parents know?”

                “Of course you may,” Paula smiled, starting towards the door. “I trust you know where it is by now? Maybe after dinner you can help Howie with his homework? He’s been struggling in chemistry lately,” she said before going inside, kicking the door shut behind her.

                Kristie looked at Howie, “Why didn’t you tell me? I can always help you with your homework, it’s no problem.”

                Howie nodded and smiled at his friend. “I’ll have to remember that,” he said before snapping her with the towel one last time.

Chapter End Notes:

Hope you're enjoying!!!