- Text Size +

A few more weeks passed, and finally the car was almost ready to take its maiden voyage.

                Howie sat in the backseat, cleaning the windows, while Kristie sat up front, cleaning the dashboard and seats. They were both waiting for Hoke to come out and take them to the mechanic shop, to see what else needed to be done.

                Total Eclipse of the Heart came on the radio, and Kristie chuckled, “Oh! Sing with me! It’s your turn,” she grinned, knowing how much he hated that song. She was graced with a scowl before she began singing, “Every now and then I get a little bit lonely…”

                “Oh, please,” Howie said, leaning over the front seat and flipping the radio to something- anything else.

                Kristie pretended to pout, “Oh come on, Howie. It’s a good song, you just don’t want to admit it.”

                “Yeah, sure,” he said, getting back to work, singing along to the Sphynkter song that was currently playing.

                Hoke came out a few minutes later, “Ready to go?” he asked both the kids.

                Howie nodded and looked at Kristie, “Want to go with us? It’ll be boring, I mean, it’s just an inspection…”

                “Sounds real fun,” she said sarcastically, before ruffling his hair. “Love to. I wanna hear how good we did,” she grinned.

                Howie nodded and climbed out, wiping his hands off before grabbing the keys off the counter. Kristie climbed into the backseat so Hoke could sit up front. “Giving me shotgun?” Hoke asked, climbing in.

                “Only fair, you are the adult, after all,” she smiled.

                Howie drove carefully, almost nervously, to the shop. He was trying to get used to the sounds his car made, hoping every hum and clank was supposed to sound like that. The only person who spoke along the way was Hoke, giving his son pointers in how to handle the car and how to drive safely. When they finally arrived, everyone climbed out and waited for the mechanic. Hoke spoke to the mechanic once he actually arrived, explaining how the kids had worked on rebuilding the car. He gave the keys to the guy and let him get started, glad when the mechanic allowed the kids to watch the inspection.

                The mechanic popped the hood, “Well I can tell you did a halfway decent job at least. I mean, you got here without smoke or a break down, so that’s something at least. Let’s get to work, though, and make sure you won’t have any problems.”

                The kids watched the mechanic work, jot down notes on the car, and tighten a few things here and there. Finally, after nearly an hour, the mechanic pulled the trio aside. “Everything looks good. I just had to tighten a few things here and there for your safety. Otherwise, you all did a great job. As long as you can keep up with the oil changes and routine maintenance, this beauty should last you a long time.”

                Howie smirked and looked at Kristie, high-fiving her, “See! Told you we could do it!”

                Hoke disappeared to pay the mechanic and get the inspection report before returning to the kids. “So, where’s the first stop after you drop me off?”

                “Kristie’s house, to drop her off. Then? It’s just me and the open road,” he said, moving his hand through the air like he was driving on a curvy road.

                “Oh, I see how it is,” Kristie said. “Use me to build your car then dump me before the firsst real drive. Classy, Howie,” she said, leaning over to mess up his hair. “Jerk!”

                “Hey! The hair!” Howie said, dodging away from her.

                Hoke laughed at the two kids, “Feeling used and abuseed, Kris?”

                “Yes, Mr. Dorough,” she admitted, glaring at Howie who simply laughed in return.

                “How about this: I don’t want to be in the middle of a lovers quarrel-“ Hoke started.

                “We’re not lovers, dad!” Howie frowned.

                “-so I’ll walk home,” Hoke said, ignoring his sons interruption. “You two figure out what you’re doing, and Howie? Home no later than ten, and make sure Kristen isn’t out past her curfew,” he said, giving his son the look that every father gave his son when regarding females and making sure their son respected the girl.  With that, Hoke turned and started to walk home.

                “I’m not far from here, either,” Kristie said to him. “Enjoy the “open road,”” the girl said, mimmicking his earlier motions, before turning to leave.

                “Where ya goin;, Kris?” he asked, reaching for her hand before pulling her back towards the car. “I was just teasing ya. Of course I want you to come with me for the first drive. Besides, if we break down on the side of the highway, who else can help me fix her?”

                Kris grinned and walked with him back to the car and perked an eyebrow but stayed silent as he opened her door for her.

                Once they were both in the car, Howie drove right out of town, just wanting to get away for awhile. The two kids didn’t speak, just listened to the radio until eventually Howie pulled off the highway and began following dirt roads. After another ten minutes of driving, he pulled to a stop on the edge of a meadow.

                Kristie climbed out of the car and looked around, smiling. “I haven’t been here in forever. The last time was probably-“

                “when your parents took us on a picnic?” he asked, chuckling when Kristie nodded. He reached up and ran his fingers through his hair, “I remember we got rained out. Your parents retreated to the car, while you and I hid under the trees.” Howie grinned, watching Kristie as she leaned over, beginning to pick some flowers.

                “Umm, if I remember correctly, you hid in the trees while I tried dancing in the rain.” She chuckled softly and stood up straight, smelling the flowers in her hand. There were a lot of memories she shared with Howie, and she was grateful for his friendship. She honestly didn’t know what she would do without him in her life.

                “You always want to dance in the rain. Ever since we met, you always try,” Howie laughed.

                “Maybe one day I will meet someone who will dance with me,” she said, walking around the meadow some more.

                “Hopefully. You deserve at least that, Kris,” Howie said. He sat down, watching her awhile longer.

                They stayed in the meadow reminiscing for a few hours, before Howie stood up, “Come on, let’s head home.”

                Kristie followed him back to the car, smiling over at him, “Thank you.”

                Howie looked up at her and perked an eyebrow, “For what?”

                Kristie simply shrugged, not answering as she slid into the car, waiting for Howie to start driving.

Chapter End Notes:

Thanks for sticking with me! I think this is the longest I've ever managed to get in a story so far!