- Text Size +

 

“What do you mean you didn’t know Sphynkter was in Colorado Springs? It's only thirty minutes away, how could you not know they were coming by?” Kristie shrieked. The band was Howie’s favorite, and had she known sooner, she would have saved up to buy tickets to go with him.

                Howie shrugged, “I was focusing on the car, what can I say?”

                “But it’s SPHYNKTER, Howard! You keep saying you’re going to play guitar for them after high school,” she sighed. She walked with Howie through the halls of the school and finally outside into the afternoon freedom.

                Howie shrugged, “Doesn’t matter, no one would go with me anyway.” He looked at his friend wondering if she would take the bait.

                “You know that’s not true, D. I would go with you,” she said as he unlocked the door for her.

                “Good, because I have two tickets,” he grinned, opening her door.

                Kristie shrieked and threw her arms around his neck, laughing. Howie, in turn, wrapped his arms around her waist, lifting her up off the ground. As he spun her around, he leaned down, his lips landing on hers before gently setting her down.

                The kiss deepened before both kids suddenly stepped away. It wasn’t necessarily a shock they shared a kiss, though it was a shock they both enjoyed it as much as they did.

                Kristie cleared her throat and pulled away from Howie. “Sphynkter!” she yelled, laughing.

                “Sphynkter!” Howie chuckled in return. “Come on, your parents won’t let you go unless your homework is done,” he said, holding her door open again.

                “You all ready asked them?” she asked, mildly surprised.

                “As soon as I bought the tickets,” he said, closing the door. He moved to his side of the car, unlocking the door and climbing in.

                Kristie perked an eyebrow, a bit shocked because Howie talked to her parents, and her parents had agreed. Her parents were not that cool. Plus, she could usually tell when they were hiding something from her, but this time, she had no clue.

                Kristie climbed out when Howie dropped her off. She leaned over, looing at him through the door, “What time are ya picking me up?” she asked, double checking her watch.

                “Six, and don’t eat dinner. I figure we can grab something on the way,” he smiled.

                Kristie stood up straight and readjusted her bag on her shoulder, “See you at six, then!” she closed the door and headed inside,t urning to wave at Howie before he drove away. She then headed upstairs and started on her homework.

                Howie honked the horn a few hours later. He had been running a few minutes late because his dad had to review the rules with him, again: Call if you’re going to be late; don’t get into trouble; follow speed limits; no drinking; make sure Kristie stays safe… The rules kept coming, and eventually Howie told his dad he was going to be late. That was the only reason his dad let him go. Howie knew the rules, they were the same rules he’d been hearing since he started driving. Howie briefly wondered when his parents would stop lecturing him, but realized that would never happen.

                Kristie came running outside in a skirt that was entirely too short, and Howie couldn’t remember her ever wearing anything that short. He glanced at her again and fought to keep his jaw from dropping. Cleavage. Kristie had cleavage. He was speechless as the girl opened the door and slid into her seat.

                “Drive! Go! Hurry, before my mom comes out to see what I’m wearing!” she said, fumbling with her seat belt.

                “What are you wearing?” he asked, following her demands and starting to drive away.

                “You don’t like it?” she asked, looking over at him.

                “I’m just not used to you in skirts,” he said weakly, hoping she bought that.

                “Well it’s Sphynkter!” You can’t go to a Sphynkter show in just anything, D!” she laughed, relaxing in her seat the further they got away from her house.

                “If you say so,” he said, glancing at her again. “They’re going to confuse you with the groupies,” he chuckled.

                “Laugh now, Howie, but we will see who gets the last laugh when I get us invited backstage,” she teased.

                “Yeah, we will see,” he smirked, continuing to drive. He pulled into a parking lot a few minutes later, looking up at the building. “It’s not fancy, but it’s quick,” he said as she looked up at the golden arches.

                “I would have been shocked had you gone anywhere else. I know how much you love your big macs,” she smirked, climbing out.

                “Oh shut up,” he laughed, climbing out and heading inside.

 

 

Chapter End Notes:

Hope you're enjoying!