- Text Size +
“What are you getting at? Amanda asked, as Nick laughed.

“I invited a special guest to your party.”

Just then, the curtain on the stage opened and the New Kids On The Block came out on stage, singing their song Happy Birthday to Amanda. Jordan Knight pulled her on stage where there was a chair with balloons tied to it and he took her hand, singing to her as the others joined him.

Happy Birthday to you
This is your day, on this day for you
We’re gonna love you in every way
This is your day, your day
Happy birthday to you, to you


Amanda’s smile grew wider and wider, trying not to cry as her favorite band serenaded her in front of all of her friends. Her face was pure happiness and Nick was happy to see this. He took video of the whole thing on his phone so that Amanda could have it for later, her expression was priceless. Everyone was dancing and laughing, clapping along to the song.


“Happy birthday, Amanda.” Jordan said, as Donnie kissed her hand and winked while giving her a rose.

“This is the best gift I’ve ever gotten.” Amanda blushed.

“That’s not all.” Nick called to her as the guys got ready to do another song. Nick had thought and tried to figure out what her favorite NKOTB song was, because his first inkling was wrong. Amanda was always asking him to do a cover of Please Don’t Go Girl, but he never got around to it.

“Nick had asked us to sing Please Don’t Go Girl, but the fellas and I thought that Cover Girl was a better choice.” Donnie winked as Amanda went redder in the face and laughed. Nick looked confused. This wasn’t the song he had asked for, but he did like how Amanda reacted. He also felt embarrassed that he didn't know her favorite song because he thought he knew everything that she liked from A to Z.

“Hey, is he flirting with her?” AJ asked, nudging Nick in the arm and pointing at Donnie who was right in front of Amanda, doing some very suggestive dancing. Nick did not want to think this way because of what just happened with Savannah and Amanda trusting him, so he knew he trusted her just as much. Donnie was just putting a show on for her birthday party.

“AJ, don’t cause drama. Donnie literally always does this song like this.” Brian hissed.

“Does he really?” Nick asked, feeling relieved. AJ gave Brian a look as if he were judging him and Brian coughed.

“I used to listen to their stuff and sing it to girls at school. That’s how I got the date with Jessica to go to prom.”

“Maybe Brian should join the New Kids.” Nick laughed.

Brian rolled his eyes. “You’re the singer, dude. Not me. I’m a cop. Not my thing.”

Nick kept watching the performance and at the end Donnie ripped his shirt, throwing it on Amanda as she screamed in delight. Lisa was totally into it as well, Nick knew she was also a fan of theirs. Skye didn’t seem impressed but everyone could tell she was putting on an act because AJ had said she liked them too a long time ago, which was why Nick invited her to the party.

“What’s the matter, Skye? You don’t like boy bands?” Nick teased.

“Not really my type of music.”

“She’s full of crap. I’ve caught her jamming to your music.” AJ said, laughing as Skye hit him in the arm. They often did this to play around with each other, play fighting was something they liked to do.

“Nick isn’t a boy band. Thank god.” Skye said and Nick chuckled.

“Nah, I’m cooler.”

Skye rolled her eyes at him.

“What about boy bands?” Donnie asked when they came off the stage after serenading Amanda, who clearly had the best time of her life.

“Skye thinks she’s too cool for boy bands.” Lisa said.

“Nobody is ever too cool for boy bands sweetheart.” Donnie and Jordan laughed and Skye blushed, nudging her boyfriend and pretending she had to go to the bathroom. Everyone laughed and they all sat down for cake, along with presents. It was a great evening and it went pretty well, Nick was super relieved.

The New Kids gave Amanda some signed merchandise as a birthday gift, as well as a four pack of tickets to their next concert, which she immediately promised to take Nick, Lisa and Brian. She figured they could double date. Brian said he would try to get the night off of work for the show and Lisa rolled her eyes. Amanda watched Lisa look kind of disappointed because Brian was always working and they didn't go out very often or get to spend a lot of time together. Lisa loved Brian but knew she couldn’t wait forever for him to make any more moves.

After the whole party was over, everyone said their goodbyes and went home one by one, leaving Nick and Amanda to themselves.


“Did you enjoy the party, baby?”

Amanda leaned in and kissed him, the confetti and streamers under her feet.

“This was the best birthday ever. I can’t think of anything else I would have wanted more.”

“Well, I have one more present to give you but you need to wait until we get home.” Nick explained with a wink.



When they got home, Amanda kissed the babies good night while Nick got ready for the second part of her birthday present, Lisa stopping into the room to see who was there.

“Everything okay, Lisa?”

“I want to be excited about that concert but….never mind. It’s dumb. I don’t want to ruin your birthday.” Lisa said softly in the doorway. She walked into the room, sighing as she sunk into the armchair near the cribs where Nick would often pick up Bryan or Celine, hold them and sing them to sleep.

“You’re not ruining anything. It’s Brian, isn’t it?” Amanda said.

“I love Brian but he’s always busy with work. Sometimes I think he’s too busy for me. Before I moved here from Texas, we used to have so much fun talking online and on video chat. Then when I came here at first he kept it going. Now all of a sudden, whenever I want to do something it becomes this big thing to get time off of work.”

Amanda thought this was odd behavior for Brian but kind of understood because she had broken his heart….so he had his guard up. She knew he loved Lisa too but was too afraid to say anything, much like Nick was for a long time.

“Brian is crazy about you. He talks about you all the time. I’m sure he’s just been swamped at work since he got promoted. Maybe you two need to have a talk.” Amanda suggested. Lisa nodded but she did not feel any better.

“I guess. Maybe I’m trying to rush things too much. We’ve only been together a few months. I just don’t see myself dating anyone else...I want to be with him the rest of my life because I look at you and Nick and want that for myself. You’re both so happy and in love and you have your children. I would love to have a family of my own but I don’t want to wait forever, you know?”

“I totally understand. Brian is just taking it slow because he kind of rushed his last relationship and had his heart broken. Just be patient with him.” Amanda said. She supposed she should have told Lisa she dated Brian for a short time but decided that she would let him tell that story when he was up to it. She knew the two of them belonged together and hoped that maybe they could help them.



After talking with Lisa, Amanda went to her bedroom to find out what Nick was up to.

“Baby?”

The room was dark but the bathroom glowed with soft yellow light from candles around the bathtub where Nick had drawn a bubble bath.

“Come on in, the water’s great.” Nick laughed, splashing a little but making sure not to get it on the floor. Amanda smiled and undressed, joining him while he poured them glasses of champagne. They drank and kissed, until the bubbles started to fade away. They were both very relaxed when they left the bathtub, and continued onto the bedroom. Nick was ready to give her the best present yet.


It was definitely a night to remember.