- Text Size +

 

Chapter 04

            Genevieve had handled all the plans for the 5-anniversary party, leaving Brian and Nick to do what they did best...keep the customers happy and looking forward to the party. The day of the party, Genie had gone to work before noon to oversee the early deliveries and make sure the decorations were up.

When Brian and Nick show up, they were amazed at how great the place looked. While Brian was dealing with the local celebrities that were tapped to make appearances, Nick had gone to find Genevieve to tell her what a great job she had done. When he found her, she was in her office crying. Nick didn't know why, she wouldn't tell him. So he did the only thing he knew to do. He held her and let her cry it out. When she had finally pulled away from him, his hands came up and cupped her face. He gently wiped her tears away with his thumbs before lowering his lips to hers.

Many times before he had kissed and hugged her, but not like this. This kiss was unexpected and so hot and intense it left them both breathless. When they broke apart, they just stared into each other's eyes, neither saying a word. The spell was broken when Brian came rushing in. Guests were arriving early and everyone was needed in the bar. Brian seemed oblivious to the tension between Nick and Genevieve.

Nick had left with Brian to give Genie time to change. When she had come out wearing the slinky purple strapless number she had bought for the party, Nick's couldn't tear his eyes away from her. Not even when Lacey had shown up. Nick was seeing Genevieve in a whole new light and it was doing strange things to his mind and body.

When it came time for pictures to promote the bar in a local paper, Nick had grabbed Genevieve's hand and pulled her into them. He had wrapped his arm around her and held her against his body, his hand resting on her hip. For some reason, she fit. It's like she had always belonged there. When he had looked down at her pressed against his body, he knew in that he had fallen in love.

After the photos were finished, Genevieve had excused herself. She had come back into the bar just in time to hear Lacey announce she and Nick were getting married. When Nick's eyes had finally met hers, he saw it. She loved him as much as he loved her. He tried to go to her, make her understand he had never proposed to Lacey, but she ran. Genevieve ran away from him and the shattered look on her face still haunts him today. He should have gone after her then. Should have told her it was all a lie, but he didn't.

He looks around the club before his eyes fall on the picture of him and Genevieve behind the bar. She looked so beautiful that night. Her creamy white shoulders, her shoulder length hair soft and wavy. The smile on her face was breathtaking. He cursed himself for not chasing her and making her come back.

He moves to stand, intent on figuring out how to find her again. When the door opens, he turns his head to see Lacey walking in with the wedding planner.  He groans loudly and picks up his beer, taking another long slow swallow from the bottle. Lacey gives him that ‘look' of hers that tells him she doesn't approve and she says, "Nickolas, isn't it a little early for that?"

He stares at her intently, trying to figure out why he ever let it get this far. He says, "I can't do this Lacey."

She says, "What? Did you forget we had to finalize the menu and pick the band today?"

He says, "No, we don't. Because we aren't getting married."

She looks stunned and stammers, "Wh-what?"

He says, "I never wanted this Lacey. I went along with it because I didn't have a reason not to, but I can't marry you. Now or ever. I don't love you."

She says, "You cannot do this to me, Nick. We talked about this..."

He stops her say, "No, you talked, I gave in. It's over." He looks at the shocked wedding planner and says, "I'll pay you for my half of your time. Send me the bill." Looking at Lacey he says, "It's over."

She slaps him hard across the face and says, "You bastard! How dare you treat me this way!"

She starts to slap him again and he blocks her arm. He says, "Get out Lacey."

She whines, "Nick, baby, please..."

He just looks at her and says, "Stop, Lacey. It never would have lasted. Please, just go."

She takes off the ring she forced him to buy her and flings it at him screeching, "You'll be sorry!"

After she's gone and he talks to the wedding planner about his payment, he walks into Brian's office and flops down on the sofa. When Brian looks up from the ledgers he's balancing, Nick says, "How do I do it?"

Brian drops his pen and says, "Do what?"

Nick sighs and says, "Find Genevieve."

Brian isn't surprised at all and he says, "What about Lacey?"

Nick holds up the ring and says, "Not an issue."

Brian smiles and says, "For what it's worth, Nick, you're making the right decision."

Nick says, "I hope so Brian. I've missed her so much. If I ever mentioned her to Lacey, I'd just get bitched out."

Brian says, "That's because Lacey knew you loved Genie as much as she loved you. She was threatened."

Nick looks at Brian curiously and asks, "Why didn't you say something before now, Brian?"

Shaking his head, Brian says, "I should have.  But you're a grown man Nick. You make your own choices. I knew I was going to have to say something. There's no way I could have let you marry Lacey without at least mentioning Genie to you. You're miserable without her here. Hell, I miss her too and so does Terri. We need to bring her home."

Nick says, "Brian, what if...we know she's been with that crew chief for Alex McLean. What if she...what if she doesn't want to come back?"

Brian says, "Nick, at least you'll know for sure."

Sighing, Nick says, "You're right. So, what do I do?"

Brian says, "I have tickets to the race this weekend. Shouldn't be hard to get pit passes. Charlie is still working security for the race. I'll give him a call."

Nick says, "Brian, how could I have been so fucking stupid?"

Brian says, "Nick, you and Genie were doing the same thing. Neither of you wanted to admit how you felt. I was sure the night of the party one of you would have said something. Then Lacey..."

Nick says, "Then Lacey drops her bomb and I kept my mouth shut so the party would be a success."

Brian says, "What's done is done Nick. For now, let's focus on finding Genie. Why don't you take the night off and relax. I can keep an eye on things here."

Nick says, "Thanks Brian. For everything."

Brian says, "I'm just glad you're not marrying Lacey."

Staring at the ring in his hand, Nick says, "Me too, Bri.  Me too."

Chapter End Notes:

PLEASE let me know! :)