- Text Size +
Story Notes:



I know this new for all my followers but when I find something I like I just go with it. Hope you'll join me for the ride. Also, thanks to Dottie for banner!


“Are you sure?” He said as she continued throwing item after item into her bag. This wasn't supposed to be how it ended. She was supposed to understand his life and that there were certain things that had to be done to appease the public. Not that there weren't the overzealous ones that thought he shouldn't have anybody but them in his life.

She didn't answer. Not immediately. She was a patient woman but the one that night just pushed it way too far knowing that she was with him. The sad part is the girl didn't care. Not one little bit. Joe's a nice guy and didn't want to hurt her feelings so he played along. Have you ever felt so helpless you didn't know what else to do but run away? That's exactly how Ava felt. Like she didn't matter to him at all anymore.”Why should I stay? It's obvious I don't matter anymore,”she replied sharply. She refused to cry. There was no way in hell. It wasn't worth the waterworks.

“You know that's not true Ava.”He started toward the bed.

“Then tell me why is it you let her sit on your lap?! I'm your girlfriend and I don't even expect you to let me do that.”

“You know you can.”He attempted to lighten the mood. Maybe he wasn't trying hard enough to keep her there.

Ava stopped in front of the open bag.”Was that supposed to be funny?”

“No but I came home with you baby. Doesn't that count for something?”

“It's not just this time Joe. There have been others. This one crossed the line. Your fans know you have a woman in your life.”

“And they're also women themselves.”

“So it's okay for them to get a little frisky with the man I share a bed with?!” She headed back to the dresser and yanked another drawer open. The tears were starting to force their way out of her eyes but she remained strong. She slammed her palms against the edge of the dresser just as he came up behind her. His hands rest over hers as he remained behind her. His body so close she remembered why she loved being with him.

“No it's not but what was I supposed to do?”

“You should have politely refused her advances then if that didn't work, tell her to leave you the hell alone.”

“I can't do that and you know it.”

“The hell you can't! These women take that customer is always right policy to the extreme in your case because they know you won't say anything. When do I come first?! Huh?”

“You always come first.”

“You have a funny way of showing it,” She pushed him back so I could continue packing. He wasn't going to kiss this one away like he always did. She wouldn't allow it.

“Nothing I say is going to make this right is it?” He could see nothing was working as she turned from the dresser and into his chest. It was killing him knowing that she thought she didn't matter to him. He loved her with all his heart and it was tearing his in two.

“I don't think it can this time. I'm a tolerant woman but I just can't do this anymore. I can't always stand aside and let these women do as they please because they expect me to be some mousy little thing and just look the other way. I just can't.” She stepped to the side and started to pass him but he drew her back.

God it had been so long since he'd really touched her; showed her he cared about her and her alone. The only thing he had was a memory of what she looked like as he lifted her up onto that dresser and loved her after removing his favorite blue sweater of hers that she loved to wear. He noticed her eyes lifting and he took his opportunity to say something.”You have to know that you do come first Ava. You always come first where it matters.”

“So out in public I just have to stand by and watch then I get you when we get home?”

“If that's how you want to see it but I was talking about here,”He replied as he drew her hand up against his chest where his heart was.

For a split second she wanted to believe it but he'd said it before. He was grasping at straws to keep her there; knowing full well he'd lost the battle.”Joe please. You've said it before. How can I trust that you mean it this time? I've let myself be fooled over and over again.”

He took her face in his hands and softly brushed his lips against hers. Those big blue eyes filled with hope. And desperation.

“No. It's not going to work this time. I've had it,”Ava replied; the floodgates had opened and she found the remainder of what she needed to get her through the next few days. She informed him that she'd be back for everything else and said she would call so their paths didn't have to cross.

“You're really leaving,”he stated more than questioned. It was really happening. Was he so naïve to believe that she would just keep loving him unconditionally when he couldn't even say the words?

She nodded. She didn't want to but maybe losing her would open his eyes so the next girl didn't end with a broken heart like hers. She opened the door and it was almost closed when she heard the words she'd been longing to hear come from his lips.

“I love you Ava. Please don't go.”

Too little. Too late.