- Text Size +
Author's Chapter Notes:


If you're with me this far, thank you. It means so much to me that you're enjoying it as much as I am


Several months had passed now but that first week was a killer. He tried to reason that he didn't wait too long to say the words but he knew better. She would always have a part of his heart. Now it was time to move on. It was four months later when their paths crossed again. She'd met somebody. Watching him hold her hand as he leaned in to whisper something funny in her ear. The sound of her laughter. That should all be his. Something else had changed about her. She changed her hair. Something so simple that when they were together he never even noticed when she did. The little things he should have noticed.

It wasn't like he hadn't not met someone else himself. Gretchen strolled into his world two months after the breakup. She was a wonderful woman. Beautiful inside and out but she wasn't Ava. Their first date at his place was awkward to say the least. Ava had left some of her perfume sitting on the bathroom counter and when Gretchen asked about it, he had to tell her about his most recent break up. Most women wouldn't have been so understanding. Gretchen didn't fall into that category. She even tolerated all the fanatics that crossed their path. The exact reason Ava left.



On that particular evening, they were at a party neither of them knowing the other would be there. Damn matchmaking friends! He looked happy enough. Maybe it was all for the best. Adam made her happy. At least she thought he did. If he had to leave her place in the morning before she woke, he would always leave her a little love note on the dry erase board hanging on the wall beside the refrigerator. He knew her morning routine with or without himself there. Joey never did but that didn't mean he didn't not ever care about her. The words just came when they should have been said so long ago.

Tom and Barb were being the ever cordial hosts. They were the epitome of all the things she wanted to have with Joe. All the dreams she thought would come true with him but he let her go. Didn't even try to rush out the door after her. Just 'I love you Ava. Please don't go'. She sipped her drink as she , Adam, Tom and Barb carried on a conversation. Adam's hand never left the small of her back as they did so. When Tom offered to show Adam one of his most prized possessions, Barb took the opportunity to start a reunion she should have known just wasn't going to work.”So how are things with Adam?”

“Good,”Ava replied simply.

“He seems like a nice guy but …

“But what Barb? He's not Joe? I know that,”Ava interrupted her well meaning friend.

“I try not to interfere if I can help it but you and Joe just fit. The world isn't right if you two can't make it work.”

“I know your heart is in the right place Barb but he never told me he loved me . Not once did the words come from his lips until the door was practically slammed in his face.”

“He's not happy either you know. She's a nice girl but I can see it in his eyes all the time. You're the spark that still hasn't left them.”

“Barb. Tone it down. You're starting to sound like a romance novel.”

“You know that's just me but I think you should give him another chance. To prove that his I love you didn't come too late.”

“You really think I should?”

“I remember how miserable you were that night when you showed up on our doorstep. You knew he meant the words then but your Taureaun bullheadedness wouldn't let you get past that. I can't make you but I bet he would drop her in a heartbeat if he knew you were still in love with him.

Ava let it sink in for a moment then replied,”You'll cover for me?

“I'll keep Adam occupied.”

“Thank you,”Ava said, hugging her friend.

“No need. Just go get your man.”

Approaching him was the easy part. What to say was more difficult. So gathering my strength, Ava said,” Meet me on the patio in five.” That would give her time to come up with what she needed to say and give him a little time as well. But he didn't let five minutes pass before he was there right in front of her; the pool lights the only illumination in an otherwise dark place.

“Is he treating you good?” Not that he wanted to know but since she was there, he wanted to know.

“Is she treating you well?” Ava answered his question with a question.

“I'd like to think so.”

“Which means she's not.”

“Why is it you asked me to come out here Ava? You need some sort of validation that I'm miserable without you?! You don't need an answer because you know. You know I love you but I was the fool to not say them before you walked out the door.”

“We're not teenagers anymore Joe. We know the truth. You know I never stopped loving you but as you said, you chose not to say those words. For whatever reasons, I'm not sure but you're the one that put us in this position. She seems like a nice girl. I'm surprised she left your side at all tonight. She was practically glued to it.”

“And you never were?”

“I was but we'd have separate hobbies that would keep us away from each other. It made things that much more special when we were together. You're the reason I can't sleep at night, don't want to eat and most of all caused me to be celibate for the last four months. I don't want to share a bed with anyone else but you gave me no choice.”

“You had a choice. YOU walked away from us. Not me.”

“You bastard! I gave you my love heart and soul but you couldn't give me the words until the threat of me leaving forced you too.”

“I love you Ava! Is that what you want to hear.”

“I want you to mean it!”

“ I do mean it.”The level of his voice and it's tone dipping as he pulled her against his body.”I love you Ava. Please don't leave me again. I don't think I could take it.”

And with those words I pulled his mouth to mine and kissed him. The hunger driving it at first but the smoldering burst that drew it to a close left us both breathless and looking at one another like we were out of our minds. We were here with other people. People that wouldn't understand. It was wrong but it felt just that right. That comfortable. That hot. Oh shit! She pulled out of his embrace. “ I'm so sorry. That was wrong.”

“Felt like it should be right.”

“I know but Gretchen seems like a nice girl. I'm just being a hopeless romantic. I do have to know one thing before I walk away.”

“What?”

“Does she look the other way?”

He knew what she meant but didn't want to answer her. Gretchen just stood by and let the fans have their fun but Ava had been right. Some of them did take it too far. Did he really want a woman that didn't care about such a thing?

His eyes said it all. Even though it was killing her inside, she walked away from him. She wanted to be happy but deep down she knew she never would be. He'd always be the one. The one she'd never forget.