- Text Size +
Author's Chapter Notes:


If you're still with me, thank you! I am having so much fun writing this story! Enjoy!


But Ava couldn't forget that kiss. The way his lips felt. The hunger she felt as his arms wrapped around her. The feel of his hair in her fingers. Their bodies connected in a way she'd never felt with another man in her life. Sure Adam made sure she was satisfied but there were Sundays she and Joe would spend in bed making love until they couldn't move. The Sunday funny papers crumpling under them before being tossed to the floor. Barb was right. The world wasn't right if she and Joe weren't in it together. She decided that she couldn't keep seeing Adam because he deserved better. He asked her if there was somebody else and she said yes. He asked if she was in love with this other man. She gave the same reply. He was crushed but she just couldn't continue hurting a good man.

She was having lunch with Barb and was staring out the window of the restaurant when the waiter came to take their order.

“Ava? Ava!”

She turned and looked at her friend.”What?”

“You know what you want?” Referring to the man patiently waiting to take her order.

“Just give me whatever she's having.”And handed him the menu.

“Where are you girl?”

“Did I tell you what happened the other night at your party?”

“Why do I get the feeling I'm not going to like it?”

“I think it's something you'd actually approve of had I not walked away.”

“What did you to to Joe?”

“We kissed. It was amazing. Just like the first time he kissed me. I miss him.. I just think that after leaving him like that.......”Ava trailed off and fidgeted with the cloth napkin setting on her plate.

“Are you fucking kidding me?! That boy has been waiting for you to show up on his doorstep.”Go! Get out of here. Be happy.”

“What about Gretchen?”

“What about Adam?”

“I broke up with him.”

“I don't think you'll have a problem.”

“You know something I don't?”

“No.”

“You sure?”

“Ava, I'm not lying this time. He's friends with Tom and he trusts my husband for the same thing you trust me. I don't share the deep stuff. That's our stuff.”

“Okay. What about the food though?”

“You'll owe me one.”

Ava grabbed her purse and leaned over to hug her friend.”Wish me luck.”

“You don't need it. Just go get him.”


She stood there forever debating how to handle it but she finally talked herself into just going with the flow. Exhausting a deep breath, she knocked on the door. The butterflies started flitting around in her stomach like this was the first time she'd ever been here. It was the first time she'd been here since the break up. What was taking so long? He had to be here. His car was here. What if they took Gretchen's car though? She rang the doorbell.

“Be there in a second!”He called out from the other side of the one thing keeping her away from the love of her life.

She took another deep breath before he pulled the door open wearing nothing more than a pair of well worn blue jeans. She wanted to lift her eyes to his but his bare chest was staring her right in the face. Get a grip on yourself Ava! “Hi,”she managed to squeak out.

“Hi,”he returned; his grip firm on the door handle. He wasn't sure why she was here but he was praying that it's why he thought it was.

“Can we talk?”

“Uh, yeah. Come on in.”

She stepped inside and he closed the door.

“Can I get you something to drink?”

“No thank you. I.....just … I don't know why I came here.” Turning back for the door. His hand landed over hers as she grabbed the knob.

“It's probably the same reason I've been trying to get your address out of Barb.”


She turned back to face him and his eyes met hers. “She lied to me.”

“It got you here didn't it?” That smile that melted her to the core.

“True.”

“What are we doing Ava?”

Her back was against the door as his mouth slowly moved closer to hers.”I don't know but maybe we shouldn't be doing it.”

His breath was on hers and before even considering the consequences their lips were locked for the second time in three days. Her hands slid up over his bare skin and around his neck; fingers slipping into the thickness of his hair. She could feel the hunger of his body growing for her and she pulled away breathlessly. She really wanted it to feel wrong but their lips reconnected; their tongues eventually joining in that game.

He drew her leg up around his hip as his lips traveled down her neck and back up; rejoining them as though they'd never left hers. He drew the other leg up around his hip. Her legs locking around him like it was the most natural thing in the world. Her lips drew away from his and softly nibbled along his jaw before whispering in his ear,”Let's go to the bedroom.” The same sentiment as though she'd never left though.

The knock on the door came disrupted something he'd been wanting for so long and now it was wrong.
He completely forgot that Gretchen was coming over.

Ava disengaged her hold on his body and glared at him.”I knew this was a bad idea.”