- Text Size +

The Truth Between The Lies

By Rachel

Copyright 2012

 

Chapter 13

 

Aspen

 

As I was making breakfast and talking to Jade, Nick appeared. I'd never imagined two Backstreet Boys would be in my house. Jade's body stiffened as Nick entered the kitchen. I wanted to give them privacy, but I was in the middle of making pancakes, bacon, eggs, and hash browns.
 
"Jade we need to talk." Nick pleaded.
 
"Not right now. You've pissed me off. I mean I pissed myself off. Just leave it alone. I'll be fine." She assured him. I knew she was lying. Her voice had change; a clear indication she wasn't telling the truth. Jade didn’t think anyone knew when she was lying, but after years I picked up on it.
 
"Nick, can you please let everyone know breakfast is ready." He walked out giving me a moment with Jade. "Twig, I know you're upset with Lilly Blue. You need to know that she was with Brian last night."
 
"Well, it's good to know I'm not the only slut in the family." She scoffed as she grabbed her coffee cup.

“You’re not a slut and neither is Lilly. I don’t know why it always comes down to the two of you fighting. No guy is worth it, not even Nick Carter.” I placed the food on serving dishes.
 
"Auntie Jade." Reese yelled happily from AJ's arms. The bond between them was surreal. She took to him faster than any other person she met. The same went for him. I groaned inwardly. Life was not fair.
 
"Hi Ree. I see you got yourself a boyfriend." Jade teased.
 
Reese reached over and whispered in her aunt's ear. What was it with all these secrets? My own daughter was hiding stuff from me.
 
As we sat down, Lilly walked in. Nick's eyes went directly to her long legs. She was wearing a short silk chemise and her robe was falling off her shoulders. I saw Nick taking a mental picture of her. Jade was watching him, tears threatening to fall.
 
I got Reese's pancakes cut up. She started talking to AJ. "Reese Elizabeth, chew with your mouth closed." I scolded her.
 
She sighed and gave me a look. Apparently I was bothering her. "Yes mommy."
 
I could see a chuckle forming on AJ's mouth. I didn't think it was funny. Reese was usually a sweet little girl. I didn't need her turning into Miss Attitude as a preschooler.
 
Breakfast was quiet. Jade was watching Nick and Lilly. Nick had his hand on Jade's thigh, but she kept removing it. His eyes were on Lilly's ample bosom. What an ass? He was playing with fire. The Grey sisters were a force to be reckoned with. My gosh he didn't want to piss them both off at the same time.

Things were going to go from bad to worse, if Nick didn't stop. He needed to gain some self-control. Both of my sisters had tempers. I didn't like the fact that he was putting a wedge between them. I saw it happen before and it wasn't pretty.
 
I looked over and saw AJ making funny faces at Reese. She couldn't contain her giggles. I wish he would lavish that much attention on me. How pathetic was I? I was jealous of my daughter.
 
"Just stop it Lilly!" Jade commented with a bite.
 
"What? What am I doing?" Lilly asked with a smile.
 
"Stop looking at him that and pull up your nightgown. You're giving a free show." Jade pushed her chair away from Nick.
 
He looked pissed and amused at the same time. I'm sure it got him off, having two sisters fighting over him. He didn't realize that Lilly really didn't want him. She just liked playing the game. For some reason, Lilly wouldn’t allow herself to fall in love. I was hoping that maybe Brian could be the man to change her mind. But with Nick in the picture at the moment it was never going to happen. Her guard was up and Lilly wasn’t going to let it down for anyone.
 
I knew that Jade was in love with Nick. This was the first guy she had fallen for completely. The love radiating from her eyes was something I wished for all my life. Nick needed to pull his head from his ass.  He was going to lose out on the best thing for him if he continued to ogle Lilly. His eyes showed lust for Lilly but that was it. When he looked at Jade it was completely different. His eyes twinkled with love.
 
"I'll wear whatever I want. I can't help it that men like my body."
 
Jade snorted with laughter. "I don't see AJ looking at your ta-tas."
 
"Mommy what are ta-tas?" Reese asked curiously.
 
I glared at Jade. She mouthed sorry to me. I took a breath before answering. My family was going to give me gray hairs before I was thirty-five. "Aunt Jade was just commenting on Aunt Lilly's earrings."
 
"Silly Aunties." Reese started giggling.
 
Nick scooted his chair closer to Jade. She was ignoring him. "Why, Lilly? First Nick, then Brian. Is AJ next? I'm sure you want a taste of all of them before you decide which one to put your claws in to." Jade remarked rudely. Okay, that was a low blow, even from Jade.
 
"Why are you such a bitch? You have no room to talk with your sexual history." Lilly countered.
 
AJ picked Reese up and took her into the living room. I had to thank him later. Nick was sitting there with a smug look on his face. I wanted to smack him.

“Well, if I’m a bitch so are you. You know what; if you want Nick take him. Apparently, I’m only a good fuck to him.” Jade glared at Nick. He slunk down in his seat.

“At least you’re good at something.”  Lilly cackled. This was ridiculous coming from grown women.
 
"Go to hell Lilly!"
 
"I've been there since you've arrived. I'm sick and tired of how perfect and wonderful your fucking life is. You're successful, gorgeous, and can have any fucking man you want. The rest of us are just useless compared to you." Lilly yelled.
 
Things were starting to get out of hand. I had to do something. "Can the two of you stop? This was supposed to be my weekend. All you're doing is ruining it." I said softly.
 
Jade stood up ignoring me. "Well, then I suggest you cool off." With that Jade picked up her glass of orange juice and dumped it over Lilly's head. “You won, Lilly, but at least I have a part of him you will never have. I'm out of here. Fuck off, bitch. "
 
With that Jade bolted from the kitchen and my house. I frowned at Lilly and Nick. He jumped up to follow Jade. I hoped AJ would stop him.
 
"What Aspen?" She glowered at me.

"You think everyone has a perfect life but you. Did you really think Jade deserves to be treated this way?"
 
"Why do you have to take her side?" Lilly started drying off with a dish towel.

"Lilly, get over yourself.  Jade might be a bad ass, but it's all an act. She's more sensitive than you think. She’s in love with Nick, you idiot. Why are you trying to ruin that?" I explained as I started gathering the dishes from the table.
 
"What about my feelings? Mine never seem to matter." Lilly said sadly.
 
"Give me a minute to call Jade. Then we can discuss this."
 
I called Jade and it went straight to voicemail. I left her a message. I wanted my sisters to get along. The bond we had years ago was missing. We needed each other more than we thought. Now it was time to talk to Lilly.
 
She had changed into dry clothes. "Red, I'm sorry about today. It's your birthday, and I've ruined it."
 
"Lils, it's fine. You need to stop thinking mine and Jade's lives are perfect. We both are human."
 
"Red, you have a beautiful daughter and a successful career." Lilly pointed out.
 
"I'm far from perfect. My job requires a lot out of me. I don’t get to spend a ton of time with my daughter. That is not the type of mother I want to be. Sebastian isn’t Reese’s father.” Lilly looked at me like I grew three heads. “I had a fucking drunken one stand with AJ fucking McLean and got knocked up. How's that for perfect?" I said sardonically.
 
"Aspen, is that true?" AJ stared at me from the door. I couldn’t read the look on his face. His eyes turned dark as he stared at me.
 
Oh, shit. I couldn't deal with this at the moment. I had to find Jade before I talked to AJ. I didn't know what to say to him. This wasn't how I wanted him to find out about Reese being his daughter. Why was life so cruel?
 
"AJ, we'll talk about this later. Can you watch Reese while Lilly and I go search for my sister?" I couldn’t deal with my sisters and AJ at the same time. It was just too much to handle. My heart was hurting for AJ and my daughter, maybe even myself. Reese wasn’t completely mine now and that frightened me. What if he took my baby away from me?
 
"Of course, we will have that talk before the day is over. Go find Jade." He said coldly and left the room.

“Let’s go Lilly.” I whispered. My mind was in two different places.
 
"I'm not going."

“You are, too. Lilly, you helped cause this mess. We, Grey sisters need to stick together. No man is worth losing a sister over.” I grabbed my car keys.

“Jade doesn’t want anything to do with me. She hates me. It would be better if I didn’t go.” Lilly wasn’t budging.

"Get your ass up and let's go." I wasn't doing this on my own. “We’re going to find our sister and get past this shit with Nick. If you two need to beat each other up, so be it. I will not have either of you in my house again, if this continues. You both need to grow up.”

“Fine, Red. Just stop trying to be a mom to Jade and me. We’re grown adults. Just worry about Reese’s well-being.”

I chose to ignore my sister. She was in bitch mode and didn’t care who she hurt. Quickly, we got the car started and we were off to find Jade.