- Text Size +

The Truth Between The Lies

By Dottie

Copyright 2012

Chapter 2

Jade

            I’ve always been a procrastinator. My sister’s hate it. But I can’t help it. I’m easily distracted. I guess that’s why I never have a boyfriend for more than a minute.  I’m 32 and never been engaged. Never even thought about it.

            Now that my baby sister, who HAS a baby, is turning 31, I wonder where the time has gone? Am I so driven I can’t stop and look for Mr. Right? OK, so years ago I found Mr. Right and if my sisters knew they would kill me. DEAD.

            You see, here’s what happened.  Back in 2001, we saw the Backstreet Boys in concert for the first time.  I was barely 21 and looking for trouble when I snuck out of our hotel room. And boy did I ever find it.

            I went to the hotel where the group was staying and managed to meet Nick. He was a total ass then, but hot as hell. Jumping his bones had been my goal and Baby, let me tell you, I succeeded that night and many nights to come. Every time they were in town, he’d call me up and we’d do some mattress dancing. I never told my sisters because let’s face it, we all wanted Nick. They wouldn’t have believed me if I told them the truth.

            It’s been a while since I saw him. Gotta tell you, I have missed him. The rumors about his big dick don’t even compare to the real thing. I thought he’d split me open the first night…but I wouldn’t trade it for anything. I’ve been with guys since him…but honestly, he’s the only guy I ever came back to. I know he has a girl now. Some kind of self-help wizard who wants to fix people. As much as I’d love to renew our friendship, not sure that will happen if she’s around. He seems to really care about her, if the reports are true. 

            OK, so this trip to LA is to see the Backstreet Boys with Aspen and Lilly.  Little does Aspen know I’ve got plans to make the weekend even better.  What my sisters don’t know yet is that I haven’t been working at the ad agency for almost two months.  I hit the big time when I finally published my book and it skyrocketed on the Best Seller list.  Thanks to my pen name, Lacey Shadow, they don’t have a clue what I’ve been up to. And, thanks to my very carefully worded dedication in my thriller, “Crash and Burn”, my sisters and I are having a VERY special brunch on Sunday with the four LOVELY gentlemen known as the Backstreet Boys.

I dedicate this to my family. Mom and Dad, who taught me that it’s ok to be different. And my sisters who taught me that it’s ok to be just like them.

I also dedicate it to the Backstreet Boys. The fodder for my fantasies. The inspiration for my characters. The fuel for the fire in my soul. Your music carried me through dark times and brought me out of the shadows.

OK, OK, it’s corny.  Guess what! Corny got me noticed and an invite for them to meet me. THEY want to meet ME! Well, AJ anyway. I was told he got hooked on the book and made the other’s read it.  Boy are my sisters gonna FLIP! And I’m thinking Nick might be surprised too!

 

Just as I’m getting ready for bed, my phone rings.  Lilly. “Hey, Jade, what’s up?”

I have to laugh at her. I know why she’s calling. I say “I’m sorry Lilly, I know you’re mad I’m not coming in till Saturday. I really can’t make it before then.”

She sighs and says, “You work too hard.”

I say, “No, Aspen does. I hate how hard she works. You know she has no time with Reese. Hell, I don’t think she’s had a date in forever.”

Lilly says, “She’s not the only one. So how’s YOUR love life?”

I snort and say, “I have a steady thing going with a vibrator how about you?”

Lilly says, “GOD we’re all so fucking pathetic! I thought you had a hot time every night.”

I sigh and say, “Slim pickings in New York. You know that Lil’s.”

She says, “What? There are hot guys on every corner!”

I say, “Yeah, and they fuck anything that moves. I’m not out to get VD Lilly. I may have a rep, but not because I’m easy.”

Lilly says, “Honestly, how many guys have been with?”

I think a minute and say, “As in had sex with?”

She says, “Yeah, how many?”

I say, “Six.”

She says, “Really? That’s all?”

I can’t help but snap. I say, “Dammit, Lilly, I’m not a whore. I don’t jump in bed with every man I see.  I go out on dates. We have fun, but very few of those led to the bedroom.”

She says, “Geesh, touchy aren’t you?”

I sigh and say, “Can we please drop the current topic and talk about something else?”

Lilly says, “We could, but I know it’s REALLY late in New York.”

I glance at my clock.2:30 am.  I say, “Yeah, it is.”

She says, “I’m sorry, Jade. I didn’t want to make you mad.”

I say, “No, it’s ok. I’m sorry for snapping. I know I have a reputation, but 99% of it is just not true.”

Lilly says, “You know, I’m kind of happy to know that. I’ll see you Saturday, Jade. Don’t forget to bring her gift.”

I smile and say, “It’s in my purse. Don’t worry. Get some sleep and I’ll see you in 3 days.”

After I hang up, I stretch out on my new bed and think about my sisters. We’ve been apart for so long. I’ve missed them. You’ll never know how badly I wanted to share my success about the novel, but…well, neither of them really ever thought I’d make it as a writer. I wanted to prove them wrong, but what if they don’t like my book? What if they think it’s too graphic? Too explicit? They know I’m not an angel, but…when it comes to them, I’m not sure how well my book will go over.

I turn on my side and stare at the nightstand, just like I do every night. On it is a picture of Nick and I taken in 2009. The last time I saw him. He looked good enough to eat.  In fact, he was good. That was our last fling.  He saw me in the crowd. Found me at the hotel. Cornered me behind a Ficus and kissed me till my knees buckled.

That night had been different from our other encounters. I knew it was the last. When it was over, he had said, “It’s been good, but…”

I didn’t let him get past the but. I couldn’t. I didn’t want to hear the words ‘I found someone.’ Instead, I covered his lips with mine and after they parted, I whispered, “See you around.”

We both knew it was unlikely. But he knew I couldn’t stand to hear him say the words. Hugging the pillow tightly, I close my eyes…wanting just one more fling. One more taste of the luscious Nick Carter.