- Text Size +

The Truth Between The Lies

Copyright 2012

By Terri

 

Chapter 24

 

LILLY

Aspen and I returned to the table.  Brian held the chair out for me.   He treated me like a lady. It was something I wasn’t accustomed to and thought I didn’t deserve.  Aspen looked so happy.  They may not be a family in the traditional sense but they already looked the part.  Reese had already wrapped AJ around her little finger and if he knew it, he didn’t care.   Then there was Jade with Nick.  I never thought he’d be the man that would almost come between us.   I never asked for it.  I never wanted it. I was enjoying my weekend and he almost broke my sister’s heart because he was chasing after a fantasy.   I don’t understand it myself but I had  to wonder if Brian was pulling out all the stops because he knew what he was getting and would continue getting if he gave me all  that every woman deserved.    I never thought I was trash.  I only believed I was worthless because men made me believe I was.

 

 

“Penny for your thoughts,” Brian leaned in and whispered.

 

“I think you’re gonna need a little more than that.”

“Name your price pretty lady. “

 

I was feeling pretty good up until that point. ONE little word could make me feel so small.  I was about to get up and make a beeline for the ladies room when Jade and Nick reappeared at the table.  My God! Calleigh was a mini version of Nick. I hadn’t really got a good look before but those big blue eyes and curly blond hair.  She was resting comfortably upon Nick’s chest; thumb securely in her mouth.  She certainly did know how to charm the masses already. She surveyed the table then buried her head in his chest before reaching for Jade.  I hadn’t even got to hold her and I was already melting.  I had another niece. Another adorable little girl. I was beginning to believe I’d never have that.  I’d almost forgotten what Brian had said to me. Almost.   His hand slid over mine and I pulled mine away.

 

“Would you mind trading seats with me Red?” I looked over to her.

 

She looked at me like I was insane. Maybe I was being foolish but it made me feel like I was for hire all over again.  Nick had made me feel that way all weekend.  It’s a wonder I didn’t go running yesterday. “No.” She answered me.

 

“Fine!  If you’ll excuse me!” I barked; proceeding to make a spectacle of myself as Brian grabbed my arm.

 

“Unhand me.”

“Not until you tell me what I did.”

“Who said you did anything?”

“Lilly talk to me,” he replied calmly.

 

“No.” He was strong but I managed to rip away from his grip. I ran into the ladies room and burst into tears.  He was the last one in the world I thought could make me feel lower than low.

 

“Lilly?” I heard his voice. What the fuck was he doing in the ladies room?  I couldn’t even get away from him for two seconds.  When I didn’t answer, he said,” I know you’re in here and I’m not leaving until you talk to me.”

I heard the door lock click.  I didn’t even notice the thing locked.   I swiped the tears from my eyes.  I swung the door open and glared at him.  “Why are you in here?”

 

“Because you scared the hell out of everybody out there and I told them I’d take care of it.”

 

“I get it. I’m not allowed to have feelings. I’m just good for a cheap thrill!”

 

“Lilly that’s not true and you know it.”

 

“Yes it is. All I’ve ever been is for sale.”

“Have you ever tried letting a man in?”

 

Lilly’s jawed dropped.  How could he even suggest that I never attempted to let anyone in?

 

“Well?” He got closer and I backed up.

 

“Brian please don’t make me answer that.”

 

“Is it so terrible you can’t tell me?”

“Not in a public bathroom.”

 

“Okay. Then why don’t we start with why you ran out on us?”  He moved closer.

 

I was clearly running out of space. “Because you made me feel cheap okay?!”

 

He gently took my hand. “Lilly I am sorry.”  He knew immediately what it was. “I don’t know why you think you’re anything but incredible.”

 

I broke down yet again. “Why won’t you let me stay mad at you?”

He let go of my hand and wiped away the tears. “Because despite the chemistry we know is already there, I want to work on getting to know the best part of you.”

 

“What’s that?”

“Your heart.”

 

Asshole!  No matter how I tried to fight him, he was determined to break down my walls. I couldn’t deny that he was doing everything a man should be doing to win the most prized possession I had.  The one I kept guarded like Fort Knox.

 

“So are you gonna come back with me cuz I’m pretty sure that there are a few women out that are gonna be mad if we don’t unlock the door pretty soon. And I’m not unlocking it until you tell me yes.”

I giggled. “How ‘bout I freshen up my face after I make sure the coast is clear for you?”

“You got it.”

 

“Hang on.”  I went to peek out the door and he was good to go thank goodness. “Coast is clear.”

“You’re not gonna back out on me are you?”

“I promise I won’t.” I kissed him softly and peeked out the door one more time. “Go.”  As soon as he was out the door I splashed my face with some cool water.  I looked at myself.   The makeup was gone and for the first time in my life, I didn’t care.  They could see the real me. The one I needed to stop hiding.  I made my way back to the table and Calleigh was charming the socks off him.  My heart melted.  He was just trying to make me fall in love with him.  It was working.  I took my seat next to him and looked at the little girl that was taking no prisoners.  Oh God Jade was going to have a handful when she grew up. I didn’t want to assume Nick would be there because I honestly didn’t know where thing were going with them.  

 

“Can you say hi to your Aunt Lilly?  Tell her how pretty she is?”

 

“Pwetty,” came her tiny voice; giggling and burying her little face in Brian’s chest.

 

“How’d he do that?”  Nick’s voice rose in shock.

 

“Women just know a good man when they meet one,” I returned with a smile.  He was a good man and for whatever reasons, I needed to start believing it was true.