- Text Size +

The Truth Between The Lies

Copyright 2012

By Rachel

 

Chapter 25

 

ASPEN

When Lilly reappeared, she seemed more relaxed. Her smile lit up the room, especially when she looked at Brian. They were trying to make Calleigh laugh. Brian and Lilly would make beautiful babies. I really hoped that would be their future. Lilly would make the best mom. She took care of me and Jade all those years. Lilly did a fantastic job with us. It wasn't her job to be a parent to her younger siblings, but I'm forever thankful that she did.
 
Nick and Jade looked happy, but unsure of each other. I'm sure Calleigh had something to do with that. I wanted them to work things out. I think they needed each other more than they realized.
 
Reese was taking a few minutes to catch her breath. She had been talking nonstop since we'd arrived. She had an in-depth conversation on tattoos with AJ. She was so much like him it scared me.
 
She sipped her chocolate milk and watched Calleigh. The little girl fascinated her. I hoped that Calleigh and Reese would be close.
 
AJ took my right hand in his. I looked over and pressed a kiss on his cheek. He slid the ring off my finger. I gave him a questioning glance. AJ replaced it on my left ring finger.
 
I shook my head at him. "Not yet." I whispered quietly, so no one heard.
 
"Why not?" His eyes were unreadable as he stared at me.
 
"This isn't the time or place." I removed the ring and moved it back to my right hand. I knew he wasn't happy, but he'd have to deal. I wasn’t ready to get married.

“We can have a long engagement.” AJ whispered in my ear. Luckily everyone was deep in conversation and ignoring us.

 

“Not now, AJ, please. Let’s just enjoy the afternoon. My sisters genuinely seem happy for once. I want to savor this moment. Please, can we drop it?” I hissed in his ear.

 

I attempted to immerse myself in the conversation around me. AJ was pouting as the food arrived. I chose to ignore his childish behavior. Lilly and Jade looked over at me; I took AJ’s hand in mine and pretended like everything was perfect.

 

I got Reese’s food cut up, so she could eat. She picked up a piece of her chicken. “Here Calweigh.” She handed it to her cousin. “It’s yummy.”

 

Calleigh took the chicken and started munching. Jade and I looked at each other and smiled. I knew they were going to be the best of friends.

 

As we ate, AJ took my hand and shimmied the ring off my finger. I continued my conversation with Howie and his wife. Gently, he took my left hand and placed the ring on my ring finger. I removed my hand from his. Slowly I took the ring off my finger and placed it in AJ’s hand.

 

“Excuse me; I need to use the ladies room.” I got up and started to walk toward the restroom, but Jade grabbed my arm.

 

“Is everything okay?”  She knew something was up. I put a smile on my face and nodded. “Don’t do anything stupid.”

 

I ignored her comment and walked away. No one else had even paid attention.

 

“Can you watch Reese?” AJ asked Lilly and Brian. “I need a smoke.” He didn’t even give them a chance to answer before he left the table.

I looked at myself in the mirror. I looked like shit. Sure I was in a beautiful dress all done up, but the brightness in my eyes was missing.

 

“Why the fuck did you give me back the ring?” AJ announced as he stepped into the bathroom startling me. He locked the door and leaned against it.

 

“You’re pressuring me.” I blurted out. Usually I remained calm and collected, taking time to think about what I wanted to say. AJ had me pissed and it was hard to bite my tongue.

 

“What’s the difference between a promise and a long engagement? I really don’t see the difference.”

 

“Of course you don’t get it. You’re a man.” I turned the water on to wash my hands. Anything to distract me from him and his dark stare.

 

“Aspen, please talk to me. I can’t stand that you hold everything inside. I expect you to be honest with me about your feelings.” He moved behind me.

 

“Only if they are what you want to hear.” I commented dryly, pushing him away.

 

“You know that’s not true.”

 

“Fine, you want the truth. Here goes. I don’t know if I’m marriage material. I’m not the type of woman to dote on a man or fulfill his needs. Being dependent on a man is not the girl I grew up to be. Jade and Lilly for as wild and crazy as they are will dote on the man who steals their heart. That’s not me. Hell, I never even got attached to a dog.” I looked at my polished toes.  There was no way I could even look at AJ and tell the truth.

 

“I don’t believe that. I see the way you are with Reese. You love her so much.” He put a finger under my chin forcing me to look at him.

 

“There are days I question that, too. I don’t spend enough time with her. The shop has me so busy. I feel guilty that I’m not the mom I should be.”

 

“You’re a wonderful mom. Reese loves you. The time you spend with her is quality time. Don’t ever question your abilities as a mom.” AJ placed a quick kiss on my lips.

 

“It doesn’t matter anyway. She only has eyes for you. Wait until she finds out you’re her dad. I’ll be forgotten.” I whispered. I willed myself not to cry. It wasn’t worth it.

 

“Now I get it. You think I asked you to marry me because of Reese.” AJ pulled me into his body. “That is the farthest thing from the truth. Aspen, I care about you as more than just the mother of my child. From our first encounter four years ago, I fell for you.  There was never a day that I didn’t wish to have you back in my life. Now that I have you, I don’t want to let you go. Reese is an added bonus to our life. We created something special.”

 

I looked at him, not sure if he was feeding me a line or not. He seemed sincere, but I was skeptical.

 

“You still don’t believe me.” I shook my head. “Fine, I’ll just have to show you.”

 

His lips moved to my collar bone. AJ placed soft kisses all over. I tried to remain in control, but with his mouth all over me it was hard. The next thing I knew my dress was being lifted up and AJ was kneeling on the floor. He didn’t waste any time taking my thong off. “I’ll be keeping that.” He smirked as he placed it in his pocket.

 

What a dirty man! I was so turned on as his finger started playing with my clit. It was wrong to be doing this in a public restroom, but I didn’t stop him. I was enjoying it too much.

 

My body was on fire, and AJ was making me wet. “Oh! Yes! Yes! AJ!” I screamed.

 

He removed his finger and started using his tongue instead. He lapped at my wetness causing me to squirm. This was so hot and all I wanted to do was cum. Before I had time to think, AJ’s tongue was inside me. I was going to hell for this. His tongue moved in and out of me as my walls started to contract. My body writhed in pleasure from orgasm after orgasm as AJ continued to assault my pussy.

 

“That was amazing.” I said as I caught my breath. “We better get back before they wonder where we disappeared to.”

AJ remained on his knees. “Aspen Ruby Grey, will you do me the honor and marry me?”

 

 I couldn’t believe he was asking me to marry him for the second time in the bathroom of a restaurant. My heart said yes, but my mind was still hesitant. What would Jade or Lilly do? They would say yes in a heartbeat. Maybe I needed to be more like my sisters, instead of being so closed off.

 

“I will marry you on two conditions.” I grabbed his hand so he could stand up.

 

“What are they?” He drew me in closer to him.

 

“One, I want a long engagement. We need time to get to know one another. That means we spend time dating and that I don’t move in with you until I feel ready.”

 

“I can deal with that.” He pressed a kiss on my mouth.

 

“Second I want my thong back.” He looked at me with a devilish grin. I knew he wasn’t going to give it back. “I can’t go out there without any underwear on.”

 

“You can and you will. I’m not giving them back. I plan on taking them on tour with me.” AJ wiggled his eyes at me.

 

“You are a dirty, dirty man.” I sucked on his lip before I stuck my tongue in his mouth.

 

When we pulled apart, I notice AJ had slipped the ring on my finger. “So I take this as a yes.”

 

“I guess I don’t have much choice. You keep putting it back on my left ring finger.” I straightened myself out. There was no way I was going back to our table looking like I got fucked.

 

We walked back to the table hand in hand. Both of my sisters gave me a look. They knew something happened in the bathroom. I just smiled and took my seat.

 

“Mommy, I missed you so much. I shared my wunch wif Calweigh. She my best fwiend.”

 

I pulled Reese in for a hug. I loved her so much. “I’m glad you and Calleigh are best friends.”

 

Maybe things were starting to fall into place. I wanted to be happy in all aspects of my life. That included falling in love with the man of my dreams, who I believed was sitting next to me.