- Text Size +

The Truth Between The Lies

By Dottie

Copyright 2012

 

Chapter 26

 

Jade

 

            By the end of lunch, Calleigh has managed to make her way around the table and by the time she got back to my lap, she was worn out. She curls up against me and snuggles. I kiss her head gently and rock her, feeling her body relax against me.

            I catch Aspen watching me and AJ watching her.  “Twig, I think Reese is going to want Calleigh to hang out with her today.”

            I glance at Nick and find him watching me intently. I say, “Why don’t you all come to the hotel later?  I need…to talk to Geri.”

            Brian’s looks puzzled. “Geri?”

            I nod.  “She’s my therapist. She and Dale were…worried. They brought Calleigh out to check on me.”

            Nick squeezes my hand and says, “Worried? Why were they worried?” When I just stare at him, it dawns on him.  He lowers his voice and whispers, “You didn’t…?”

            I shake my head and say, “NO, I didn’t. Didn’t even think about it.”

            Sensing things are getting deep, AJ says, “Well, Nick, looks like we have the makings of the Backstreet Babes started.”

            My giggles almost wake up Calleigh. She falls back on my arm, her thumb finding its way between her lips.  Looking up at AJ, I whisper, “AJ that just doesn’t sound like an appropriate name for a girl group. Especially with MY daughter involved. You better think of a new name.”

            Nick groans and says, “Think of a new career AJ. I don’t want my little girl being ogled by every horny man with a pulse.”

            Reese chooses this point to look up and say, “Mommy, what’s a horny man?”

            Everyone laughs.  Nick blushes and Aspen says, “Nick, first rule of being a parent…WATCH YOUR MOUTH!” She turns to Reese and says, “Uncle Nick is being silly, Reese.”

            She looks at AJ and says, “Do you have a horn?”

            While he sputters, blushing worse than a nun in a brothel, Nick looks at Aspen and says, “I’m sorry.”

            I can see she’s fighting the urge to laugh. Finally she says, “She’ll forget it soon, don’t worry. But seriously, watch what you say, ok?”

            Feeling more than contrite, he nods and says, “Don’t worry. I’ll behave.”

            Knowing I may regret it, I lean closer to him and whisper, “You don’t have to behave ALL the time.”

            When his eyes meet mine, I’m sure everyone else in the room saw the sparks flying. He smirks at me. I think he’s going to come back with something naughty, but instead he says, “Want me to hold her? Your arms must be tired.”

            I say, “I should get her back to the hotel for a proper nap, but Dale didn’t leave a baby seat.”

            Aspen says, “If AJ wants to hang with Reese a few, I’ll run you over then come back for them.”

            AJ nods and says, “Sounds good to me.” Looking at his little girl, he says, “How about a hot fudge sundae?”

            She says, “YEAH!”

 

            After dropping us off, Aspen hugs me tightly. “Call when she wakes up and we’ll come over. Twig, she’s SO adorable.”

            I kiss her cheek and whisper, “Thanks Red. I’m sorry I didn’t tell you.”

            She pushes me gently and says, “Water under the bridge. Call me.”

            Nick carries her to my room and lays her in the center of the bed.  I pile pillows up around her so she can’t roll off before turning to Nick. “Are you sure you don’t mind watching her for a few minutes?”

            He tweaks my nose as he says, “She’s my daughter, Jade. I just want to stare at her.”

            I blush and say, “I really am sorry, Nick.”

He shakes his head.  “Not your fault. Go talk to your friends. I’m not going anywhere.”

            On impulse, I reach up and hug him. After a brief pause he lets his arms slide around my waist as he buries his face in my neck. I sigh and enjoy the feel of being in his arms before I gently push away from him.  He stares down at me, his hands on my waist, and whispers, “I’ll be here when you get back.”

            I smile and step away, bending over the bed to give Calleigh a kiss before slipping out the door quietly.

           

            After talking with Geri, I feel a little calmer; more at peace with my decision to move to California and be close to my sisters. As much as I’m gonna miss her and Dale and DJ, I need to be close to my family.  Calleigh needs it.

            As for Nick, Geri says I have to either cut him loose or go all in. It’s shocking that she has that attitude, but she made sense when she said, “Jade, you’re an all-in sort of girl. Give it a chance.  Go all-in. If it doesn’t happen, you know you tried. Only then can you pick up and move on.”

            As I get closer to my room, I hear Calleigh squeal with laughter.  Leave it to my girl to only sleep forty-five minutes. Oh, she’s gonna be cranky tonight.  When I let myself into the room, she sees me and smiles. “Mama! Mama!”

            Nick is lying on his back on the floor and she’s sitting on his stomach.  He looks over to me and smiles, saying, “She’s got more energy than me.”

            I laugh, tossing my purse on the bed and folding my legs under me to sit beside them. Calleigh crawls over to me and hugs me tight. I kiss her neck and whisper, “Hey Peanut, you having fun with Daddy?”

            She reaches out for him. He sits up beside us, allowing her to grab his hand as he slides up against me. “How did it go?”

            I watch Calleigh playing with his fingers. “Good. Geri thinks my plans for the future are good as long as I can remain focused on what’s important.”

            Calleigh gets bored and heads for her big suitcase, pulling out the toys Geri packed. Nick takes my hand and says, “What plans?”

            I turn to face him.  “I’m going to try with you.”

            Shock lights his face.  “You are?”

            I nod. “This is how she explained it to me. I’m an ‘all-in’ kind of girl, and if I give it everything I have and it doesn’t work…well, I can move on from there and focus on what’s important.”

            He looks past me to Calleigh trying to stack blocks and getting frustrated. Focusing on me he says, “She is important.  But so are you Jade. I just don’t know if I’m good enough for you.”

            I cover his lips with a finger and whisper, “Shh. Nick, I fell in love with you so long ago. Remember when I met up with you in Tahoe?”

            He nods. “Three nights of sheer bliss. We never left the hotel room.”

            I smile and say, “I stayed naked the whole weekend. Nick…we can work. We just have to try. Please say you’re willing to try too.”

            He leans closer. I feel his breath on my face. “Jade, I promise. I’ll give it everything I have.”

            He kisses me gently and my heart flutters. When we pull apart, I whisper, “No matter what happens, Calleigh comes first. OK?”

            He nods and says, “OK.”

           

            A little over an hour later, Aspen and AJ show up with Reese to play. As I sit snuggling with Nick on the bed while AJ and Aspen sit with the girls in the floor so they can get to know Calleigh, Nick’s phone rings. The grimace on his face tells me it’s not good.

            He answers with a  gruff, “WHAT?” I watch his face, seeing his forehead furrow with frustration. “No, I forgot but it’s not a good time now.” I’m confused, but wait patiently to see what’s going on.  “Why? What’s so God awful important it has to be today?”  Again, another silence, followed by “I’m at the Redbury with...Never mind, just…I’ll meet you downstairs in twenty.”

            After he hangs up, I say, “What? What is it?”

            He grimaces and says, “Paige. Wants to talk.” I lower my gaze, not sure what kind of response he expects. He tilts my face back up with his finger and says, “Don’t do that. I don’t WANT to talk to her.”

            I nod and say, “It’s ok Nick. I understand.”

            He leans closer and whispers, “I mean it, Jade. I don’t want to talk with her. I want to spend the day with you and Calleigh.  I NEED to spend a lot of time with you.”

            I have to smile.  I lean closer to him, putting my lips close to his ear to whisper, “I need you too.”

I kiss his neck, just below his ear, eliciting an almost inaudible groan from him. Whispering into my hair, he says, “Maybe Aspen can babysit?”

I giggle and say, “I can ask.”  He hugs me tight.  When we separate, I catch his gaze and say, “Can I…go with you to meet Paige?”

He looks at me warily and says, “Why?”

I lower my gaze and say, “I don’t have to. Never mind.”

Raising his voice, he says, “Aspen, can you keep an eye on Calleigh? Jade and I have something to take care of.”

AJ snorts and says, “Not a good cover Nick. If you’re getting a room then say it.”

Nick laughs and says, “Not that.” Turning his gaze to me. “Not right NOW anyway. We’re going to meet Paige.”

AJ’s mouth drops open faster than Aspen’s.  “Why the f…” Glancing at the girls, he cleans it up.  “Why are you going to meet HER?”

Nick says, “I don’t know what she wants. But I aim to find out why she kept my daughter from me.”

Nick takes my hand and pulls me out behind him. As we’re heading for the elevator, he doesn’t let go. “Nick, I don’t have to…I mean it, I can wait with them.”

He pulls me against his body as we wait for the elevator. “No. Jade, you have to know I’m serious about us.  Not just because of Calleigh. I hurt you bad enough you wanted to die. I didn’t know I did that and I’m sorry. I’m more than sorry. I’ve never…Jade, I don’t know what it’s like to be in love. I know what I feel for you I’ve never felt for anyone else, but we always covered it up with sex and our games.  I thought that’s all it was for us.”

As the door opens, I say, “How do you know that’s not all it is now?”

We step in as he says, “Because, when I first laid eyes on you at the photo shoot, I got the same kick in the gut I always got before when I saw you. The same overwhelming urge to bend you over a table and take you. Then…when I realized how you felt…when you told me you loved me, I realized that kick in the gut wasn’t just about having sex with you. Jade, I want to BE with you. Talking, laughing, crying, I can’t stand the thought of losing you. The last two nights have been hell. Especially knowing I caused you so much pain. I don’t know how I can ask for forgiveness…or even another chance, but I’m asking.  I was going to ask even before I knew about Calleigh.”

The elevator opens but I don’t move. We stare at each other. Finally, I whisper, “I’m all in, Nick. I’m willing to try if you are.”

He drops his lips to mine, kissing me deeply.  Another guest clearing his throat interrupts us.  I blush as we step past him to get off the elevator. He just smiles at me and steps on.  Nick takes my hand and whispers, “I am spellbound Jade. You’ve got me hooked.”

I grin like a silly school girl.  Wait till he reads the book. My leading lady DOES have him wrapped around her finger.  My smile fades. That’s not what I want with Nick. I want a relationship built on honesty and trust and love. And all three are going to take a lot of work. On both our parts.

We go to the corner of the lobby and sit, waiting for Paige to arrive. When she walks in the door, I glance at Nick. He stares at her. I can see anger in his eyes. Anger I’m feeling too. She kept his daughter from him. She kept him from my Calleigh. 

As Paige walks up, he stands. She puts her hands on his shoulders and gushes, “NICK! You look great.”

Before her lips can connect with his, he pushes her back and says, “What do you want, Paige?”

She glances at me. “Can we talk privately?”

He says, “No, we can’t. What do you want?”

Belligerently, she says, “Nick, this is between US. PLEASE.”

I stand and say, “Why don’t I give you a minute?”

Nick brushes my cheek with his fingers. “Don’t go. Whatever she has to say she can say in front of you.” Turning to Paige he says, “This is my girlfriend, Jade.  The mother of my child.” Paige turns white as a ghost.  Nick smirks. “Oh, so you do remember her calling.  Good. Care to explain why you felt I didn’t need to know about my DAUGHTER?”

Paige blushes, even though she’s pale. “I…Nick, we were…I was…the last thing you needed was a brat taking over your life.”

If Nick hadn’t grabbed me, I would have lunged at her throat. I hiss, “Don’t you EVER speak about my daughter like that! How DARE you!”

Nick pushes me behind his body and says, “Paige, we’re over. We’ve BEEN over for a long time. What do you want?”

She backs up a step, saying, “I wanted…Nick we were good. You know we were. We can be again.”

He snorts. “You’re fucking kidding me, right? You think I’m going to choose you over Jade? You think I could EVER love you the way I love her? My God, look at her Paige. She’s everything you’re not. She’s warm, vibrant and most of all, she loves me for who I am. I don’t deserve her love. I damn sure am not good enough for her, but I’m going to spend the rest of my life trying to make up for all the ways I’ve hurt her.”

I stare at him. I can’t take my eyes off him. He turns, meeting my gaze and my heart skips a beat. “I mean it Jade. I want to be with you. You and our little girl.”

I smile, forgetting Paige is even there. Tears cling to my lashes. He brushes them away with his thumb. “I want to be with you too Nick. We both do.”

He leans down, kissing me gently. When our lips part, he presses his forehead to mine and whispers, “I need you, Jade.”

I rub my nose against his and whisper back, “I need you too, Nick.”

 

When we part, Paige is gone. He looks down at me and winks. “Guess she figured out who I belong to.”

I can’t stop the smile from spreading across my face. “You belong to me now?”

He grins and says, “Yes, Mistress. What is your bidding?”

Being on the other end of this game is new for me. But the look in his eyes tells me that no matter what I say, he’ll do it.  I slide my hand up his arm and whisper, “Let’s see if AJ and Aspen can babysit a little longer.”

He smirks holding out his arm. “Already taken care of Mistress. And I have a room waiting. Shall we?”

I slip my hand through his arm and let him guide me to the elevator. “You thought of everything, didn’t you?”

When the elevator door closes behind us and we’re all alone, he backs me against the wall and says, “I’m going to please you, Jade. In any way I can, I am going to make you feel as special as you really are.” He kisses me deeply, my hands trapped between our bodies. Our lips part and he whispers, “I think I love you Jade. Don’t let me fuck this up.”