- Text Size +

The Truth Between The Lies       

By Rachel

Copyright 2012

 

Chapter 28

Aspen

Whoever said time flies when you’re having fun didn’t lie. Life was wonderful, and I had nothing to complain about. Reese and I were living with AJ now that the tour was over.  She was happy as a clam living with her daddy. They had bonded and were inseparable.

Jade and I continued to grow close, considering we spent a lot of time together while our men finished the tour. I talked to Lilly but she was busy with Brian. They were happy and in love.

Lilly never did tell me she was in the porn industry. I overheard Nick and AJ talking about it. I guess no matter what the Grey sisters would always have our fair share of secrets. I wasn’t mad that Lilly didn’t tell me, but sometimes I wished people weren’t afraid to tell me things. Sure, I may not have been as open about sex, but I watched a few porn videos in my life.

“Mommy, do you like my dress?” Reese twirled around letting her purple dress fly up.

“You look beautiful and so grown up.” I smiled at her. “But you need to make sure you don’t show your undies at the party.”

“I know. I’m four years old.” She sighed and ran out of the room.

After finishing my make up, I got up from the vanity and went to put on my dress. It was a stunning royal blue sequin lace dress.

“You need help zipping that?” AJ whispered in my ear. His hot breath sent shivers down my spine. “You look beautiful, Aspen.”

His fingers slid up my back as he pulled the zipper up. Once he was done, I turned around to face him. AJ looked sexy in his dark black dress shirt, blue tie, and glasses. I was a lucky woman.

“Thanks. You look good enough to ravish.” I licked my lips shyly, which caused him to pull me close and kiss me.

“We better head over to the party. Do you think everyone is going to be surprised?”

“I doubt it. I think they’ve been taking bets on us.” AJ laughed.

 

 

When we got to the club, the party was in full swing. Leave it to AJ to make us fashionably late. Reese found Calleigh and they ran over to Grandma Denise.

“You’re looking fabulous tonight.” Nick pressed a kiss to my cheek.

“Thanks Nick.” I smiled. “I love your dress, Jade.” She was wearing a gorgeous champagne colored strapless fitted a line dress. How she kept it clean with a toddler was beyond me.

Jade smiled at me. “Thanks, Red. You are stunning. Tonight’s about you. No one’s looking at me, except Nick.”

We both laughed. The guys excused themselves to get us drinks. Lilly sauntered over wearing a beautiful dark green dress. She had a glass of wine in her hand. “Hey sissies. This is a great party, Red. So, do you have a big announcement or something? This is a swanky party for no reason.” Lilly laughed.

I ignored her comment. “So, how’s married life?” I asked hoping she would take the hint.

“It’s awesome. Everything is great. Brian treats me like a queen.” Lilly gushed as Nick and AJ walk over with our drinks.

“That’s great Lils, you deserve to be happy.” I sipped my sparkling grape juice.

Lilly was staring at Nick who was currently picking up Calleigh and Reese. I had thought her attraction to him would be gone since was happily married. I hoped that Jade didn’t see her looking at Nick. A fight in the middle of my engagement party would not please me.

AJ and quickly excused ourselves to talk to our other guests. I had met so many people in the last hour that I would never remember their names. My feet were starting to hurt from the high heels I was wearing, so I found a table and sat down.

“Where my mommy and daddy?” Calleigh asked as she climbed on my lap. I could tell she was getting tired. She placed her thumb in her mouth.

“I’m not sure, sweetie. They can’t be too far.” I kissed the top of her head, as I looked for my own daughter. Reese was perched in AJ’s arms talking a mile a minute to Howie. “You can stay with Aunt Aspen until we find them. You having fun, Calleigh.”

“Yeah, but I sweepy.” She yawned. I rocked my niece until she fell asleep.

Where could Nick and Jade be? Knowing them they found a secluded place to have some fun. They had an adventurous sex life. Not that I would complain about mine. It was great but not as wild and crazy as most people would assume a sex life with AJ would be. That wasn’t his fault. I was pretty traditional when it came to making love. AJ accepted it, and we had no problems in the bedroom.

“Where’s Nick and Jade?” Lilly sat down. “I bet they are off fucking. I swear that’s all they do.” She exclaimed loudly and started to laugh.

“Umm…I don’t think that’s a conversation I want to have.” I tried to change the subject.

“Oh, come on Aspen. You’re not a prude anymore. You’re having sex with AJ fucking McLean. He’s the freakiest member of the hottest boy band in the world.”  Lilly didn’t even lower her voice.

“I’m not talking about my sex life. End of discussion.” I rubbed Calleigh’s back to help myself remain calm. 

We sat there in silence. Lilly was sipping a glass of champagne. I continued to look for Nick and Jade.

“Brian is everything okay with Lilly? She seems so different tonight.” Colleen, Howie’s wife questioned. “She’s drank a lot tonight. I’m concerned about her.”

“I know, but it’s a party. She’s just…umm enjoying herself.” Brian said uncomfortably.

“Just keep an eye on her. You don’t want anything bad happening.”  She said and walked away.

Lilly’s face was full of anger. Both of us had overheard their conversation. “Lils…”

“Save it, Aspen. Nothing you can say will make me feel better. No matter what I do I’ll always be a screw up. I thought marriage would change that.” She pushed back her chair and stood up. “I need some fresh air.”

What could I do? Lilly was drunk and pissed. There was no way she was going to listen to reason. Things would be better in the morning when she sobered up. Colleen wasn’t trying to be mean, she was worried about her. I won’t lie, Lilly had me more than a little worried.

“So, are you ready to make our big announcement?” AJ took a seat next to me. Reese scooted over to give me and Calleigh a kiss.

“Of course.” I giggled nervously. I had been wearing my engagement ring on my right hand when we were in public. It was nice having some time to enjoy being engaged without everyone knowing. “I’ll be even happier when I become your wife.”

“I can’t wait to be your husband. After we get married we’ll have a house full of babies.”

“Are you sure? I mean after all the chaos Reese has caused these last few months, you want more?”

“Reese is a sweetheart.” AJ squeezed her to his chest.

“I an angel, mommy. Daddy thinks I do no wrong.” She smiled her most angelic smile at me.

“You’re an angel, Reese. You just like to get into things you shouldn’t.” I chuckled as I ruffled her curls.

“I been good. I painted daddy a picture on the wall in his studio.”

“You did what, Reese’s Pieces?” AJ coughed out.

“I painted a picture on the wall with those markers I use to draw my tattoos.” She explained.

“We’ll talk about it tomorrow.” I saw Jade and Nick walking over. They clearly had some adult fun. “Hey, Nick, you have a touch of lipstick on your face.”

Jade just smiled a bigger smile than she was already wearing. She loved being naughty with Nick. They were really cute together.

“Hey, just wanted to let you know that Denise offered to take Calleigh for the night. She’s going to take Reese home after the announcement so she can go to b-e-d.”

“Mom, that spells bed. I don’t wanna go to bed. I wanna party.” Reese screamed in AJ’s ear. We all started laughing.

“She’s her daddy.” Nick tickled his niece.

Nick took his daughter into his arms. We all headed toward the stage. AJ and I stood there until everyone walked over.

“First of all we want to thank all of you for coming tonight. It’s been a lot of fun, and the party isn’t over yet. Aspen and I have an important announcement.”

Reese was twirling around on stage. I ran over and picked her up before she hurt herself. That girl was a bundle of energy.

“Sorry.” I smiled sheepishly.

“Hi everyone!” Reese squeaked into the microphone. She loved being the center of attention. Everyone laughed and smiled.

“Back to our announcement.” AJ got their attention.  “Aspen and I are officially engaged. She has done me the honor and decided to marry my crazy ass.”

“Daddy, you’re ass isn’t crazy.” Reese remarked. The crowd started laughing.

“Reese Elizabeth, we don’t say those words.”  I scolded.

“But daddy said it.” She squirmed into her daddy’s arms.

“Well, now that the cats out of the bag, we wanted to celebrate with all of our friends and family. We hope to see all of you at the wedding.” AJ wrapped his arm around me. “Now let the partying continue.”

 We walked off the stage as a happy family. Our friends and family were congratulating us. I was the happiest woman in the room. After talking to what seemed like a million people, we walked over to Denise.

“You are a beautiful family. Let me take her off your hands so you can enjoy some time to yourselves.”

Reese was asleep as we gave her to her grandmother. Denise had so much love for me and Reese.  She had taken to us right away. It was nice having her in my life.

“I’ll carry Calleigh out to your car for you.” Nick held his sleeping daughter.

“It’s no problem. Tony and I have it covered.”

“Well, Pixie’s bag is in the car, so I need to get it for you.”

AJ and I gave Reese one last kiss before she was on her way to grandma’s for the night.

The party was in full swing as AJ pulled me onto the dance floor. A slow song was playing. He enclosed me in his arms. We swayed slowly in time to the music.

“Have I told you how much I love you?” He whispered in my ear.

“Not in the last hour.” I leaned my head against his.

“I love you Aspen Ruby Grey McLean. You’ve made me the happiest man alive. I can’t wait to spend the rest of my life with you.”

“I love you Alexander James McLean. I never thought I would fall in love. I didn’t believe it would happen to me. I’m so independent that I wouldn’t let myself depend on anyone including a man. You made me change my mind. You let me be me and never force me to do something I don’t want to. I love the way that you love me.” It was the first time I had told him this.

“I love that way you accept me and love me unconditionally. Sure we are night and day when it comes to our personalities, but it works. I love you, Aspen.”

AJ didn’t give me a chance to speak. He placed his lips on mine for a long, slow, beautiful kiss.