- Text Size +

The Truth Between The Lies

By Terri

Copyright 2012

 

Chapter 3

 

Lily

 

 I hated flying.  Lord did I hate it!  I always said a little prayer every time I set foot on solid ground.  We all have our phobias and flying was mine.  I was even more of a wreck at night but at least the weather had held up.  Like it wouldn’t flying from Phoenix to Los Angeles.   We were just at the start of the monsoon season so I was thankful to get out of the heat.   My life had been no picnic since I’d seen them last.

 

They think I led this perfect little life out there in the middle of the desert.  It wasn’t horrible but when you find out the man you’ve been living with for two years is gay, kind of puts a damper on the whole dating game.   You don’t know who to trust.  You get to thinking that a vibrator is a better mate than the real deal. At least they don’t talk back and you don’t have to sleep in the wet spot. I felt bad for Aspen.  Four years without a man?  Two was bad enough for me but I couldn’t imagine being that long without having the one on one.

 

 I was initially only going to bring a carry on but with a niece as adorable as Reese, I had to have luggage with the way I spoiled her rotten.  Aspen hated me for it sometimes but when we would Skype, those big blue eyes sucked me in every time. 

 

I was really happy for my sisters.    As far as I knew, they were doing exactly what they wanted.   Some example I was. Maybe I did help them in ways I’d never understand but with our folks always at odds; I knew that someone had to show them a little stability.  I had to grow up a lot faster than I wanted to and sometimes I do resent it.  Not them but our parents.  They should have been the ones there for their moral fiber and life lessons. I didn’t know any more than they did with us all being so close in age. Thank God our parents had family in the vicinity or not a one of us would have survived emotionally.   Well there were the Backstreet Boys.

 

 

Music was the one constant we had.  It was the ONE good thing our parents gave us. Appreciation for song.  And it settled my nerves on days like today.  As said before, I hate flying. I hate airports.    Once I was off the plane, I pulled my I-pod out and put my earbuds in. The boys always soothed me. Upbeat or romantic, the harmonies were amazing.   I took the long stroll to baggage claim and staked my claim to a spot for the long haul. I had the playlist on shuffle and Nick’s song Burning Up came on.  Good song. Even better video. The boy is fucking hot!  So hot! I closed my eyes, lost myself in that club with him, not even realizing I was singing out loud.  What?!  I’m in LA.  People are weird here. Well except for my sister but it was the voice that stopped me in my tracks.

 

“You sound better than I do.”

I looked up. Okay. This had to be a dream.  Really good one.  I closed my eyes and when I opened them he was there. What was Nick Carter doing here?   I was on a connecting flight from Nashville and they did have a few days between dates but the odds?  No way.

“What? You don’t think you have a good voice?”

I think I was at the point of starting to believe this wasn’t a fantasy. Tall, blond and gorgeous was right there next to me.  A gray hoodie and faded blue jeans.   I have truly died and gone to heaven. Speak!  “My sisters tell me all the time.”

“Then believe them. You have a great voice.”

“But it’s not as good as yours.”

 

“This didn’t happen overnight.”

 

“It’s always sounded pretty good to me.” Oops! There came the fangirl.

 

“So I can assume you’re in town for the show.”

“It’s my sister’s 29th Birthday for the second year in a row.” I laughed slightly.

 

“Just you and her?”

“There’s one more of us but she doesn’t fly in until tomorrow.”

 

The baggage carousel started rolling and I was really hating for this moment to end. Nick fucking Carter! I still couldn’t believe he was talking to me. “Well I hope in time for the show.”


“She gets in around noon I think.” Why the hell couldn’t I flirt with him?! What happened to me? Damn!

 

“So is your sister picking you up?”

 

Talkative isn’t he?  Keep him talking. “I’m actually gonna take a cab to her cupcake shop and get the house keys before I headed to her place.”

“Why don’t I give you a ride there? My friend’s picking me up at the curb.”

 

“I couldn’t impose.” What the fuck are you doing Lilly?  Nick Carter is offering you a ride.  Take it!

 

“It’s no problem…..?” He looked at me for a name.

“Lilly.”

 

“We’ll grab our bags and I’ll call my friend. Let him know he has another passenger.  Pretty one at that.”

 

Did I just get one of his infamous grins?  I think I did.  Oh My God!   I barely saw my bag out of the corner of my eye. “Jeez! There it went!”

 

“Which one?”

I pointed at the case that matched the color of his hoodie and before I knew it, he had retrieved it.

 

“There you go.”

“Thank you but are you sure about that ride?”

“I’ve met a lot of people in my lifetime and you hardly strike me as psychotic.”

“How do I know you’re not?” There we go Lils!

 

“Be careful. I may reconsider.”

“You wouldn’t do that to a pretty girl now would you?” I batted my lashes. Turn it up!

 

He grabbed his bag off the carousel then pulled his phone out of his pocket; all the while smiling at me. If he had a girlfriend these days, he certainly wasn’t being faithful by flirting with me. “J, you got room for one more?”