- Text Size +

The Truth Between The Lies

By Rachel

Copyright 2012

 

Chapter 4

 

Aspen

 

My oldest sister would be arriving at any moment. I let Reese stay home from daycare so she could see Aunt Lilly. She sat a table near the window drawing pictures for her aunties.

 

I was running around like a chicken with its head cut off. My cashier called in sick, so I was baking and manning the store front. I brought out of tray of red velvet cupcakes to ice. That way I could keep an eye on my daughter and get my work done. Luckily this was the slow time of day. Since it was Friday, business would pick up around three, as people had a tendency to to buy from the adult line for their romantic weekends.

 

“Mom, I hungry.” Reese called from her seat.

 

“Would you like a cupcake?” I asked while icing the last cupcake.

 

“Yes. Chocowate, pwease wif sprinkles.” She smiled at me.

 

I placed the red velvet cupcakes in the display case and went back to get my baby her cupcake. When I got back, she was running out the door.  I ran after her. “Reese Elizabeth Get Back Here NOW!” I yelled. What was she thinking running out of the store?

 

She turned around and looked at me. “It’s Aunt Wiwy.” She said in her baby voice.

 

I looked up and saw my sister. She looked absolutely stunning in her red sundress. Then again she looked beautiful in anything. “Lilly, it’s so good to see you.”

 

“Aspen, it’s been too long.”  She hugged me and then she bent down. “Reese, how’s my favorite niece?”

 

“I gweat.” She ran into her aunts arms. “Da Backstweet Boys.” She pointed at the men standing behind Lilly.

 

I looked behind my sister and saw Nick and AJ standing there. Oh, holy hell, I looked like shit. My ponytail was a mess and my apron was full of flour and icing. I was embarrassed at the mess I was. My sister on the other hand was standing there looking like a model. I was jealous.

 

Wait, what was she doing with two of the hottest Backstreet Boys? Why was Nick taking her luggage of out a black Escalade? This was so not happening. I had to be dreaming.

 

“Nick, AJ I would like you to meet one of my favorite sisters. This is Aspen.”  I hurried to wipe the flour out of my blond wavy locks. I’m sure I was making myself look worse.

 

“It’s nice to meet you.” Nick gave me his trademark smile. I couldn’t help but swoon. I mean what woman wouldn’t, he was hotter than hot.

 

AJ stood back watching me. He had shades on so I wasn’t sure of his expression. It was kind of unnerving. I couldn’t take my eyes away from him. He was so sexy and mysterious at the moment.

 

“She normally doesn’t look like a human cupcake, but I assume she’s been baking all day.” Lilly explained. Duh, I own a cupcake shop. My sister loved to humiliate me.  “This little munchkin is Reese. She’s my favorite niece.”

 

“Hi AJ and Nicky.” She waved at them.

 

“Well, she’s certainly a cutie!” AJ said with a smile. I thought it was adorable how he made over my daughter, but why couldn’t it be me he was making over.

 

“Why you draw on your arms?” Reese asked. She was never shy with strangers. Sometimes I wish she wasn’t so friendly.

 

“I like to have pictures to look at.”

 

“Mom, can I draw on my arms?” She asked curiously. Reese was three going on thirty.

 

“When you are much, much older.” She smiled at me. AJ laughed and walked over to my sister and Reese. My little girl started tracing his tattoos with her tiny index finger. My daughter had more swagger when it came to guys than I did and she was three. Could this get any more uncomfortable?

 

“Thank you guys for driving my sister from the airport. It was nice of you. Would you like to come in for a cupcake?” I asked politely. Why was I feeling so shy? I could see the amusement in my sister’s face. She thought this was so funny.

 

“Sure, we have some time, and I could always go for a cupcake.” Nick started towards the door.

 

When we got inside, Reese started pulling Lilly towards the back. “Wet’s go see my room.”

 

“Aspen, what is she talking about?” She gave me a look.

 

“I’ll explain later.” I said as I watched the guys checking out the display case. “What would you guys like?”

 

“I’ll take carrot cake.”

 

Here you go.” I hand him his cupcake and turned to AJ. He had taken off his sunglasses. I was drawn to his brown eyes. He stared back into my baby blues. Neither of us spoke for what seemed like a few minutes. I was mesmerized by the intense eyes staring at me. I finally got the nerve to speak. “What kind would you like?”

 

His eyes never left mine. “I’d like to try Better Than Sex Chocolate.” Damn his voice was oozing with sexuality as he said it. My face turned three shades of red.

 

As I bent down to get his cupcake, I noticed Nick smirking. He thought it was amusing. My face among other things was on fire. I placed AJ’s cupcake in his hands. He took a bite. “This is delicious. I think it might be better than sex, but I would need to compare it to the real thing.” AJ never stopped looking at me. I couldn’t take it. I hadn’t felt this turned on in forever. My ex didn’t make me feel this way. Nick didn’t even make me feel this way. AJ had me lusting after him. I was ready to take him in the middle of the store with Nick watching. That’s how horny he had me.

 

“Well, we better head to rehearsal. Lilly said you were coming to the concert. So we will see you tomorrow. Thanks for the cupcake” Nick said and went outside.

 

“Aspen, I look forward to coming back for some treats. It was a pleasure meeting you.” AJ took my hand and placed a gentle kiss upon it. “Take care, sweet lady.”

 

“It was nice meeting you.” I said shyly. What was wrong with me?

 

AJ’s finger moved toward my face. He brushed a curl out of the way. “You have some icing on your face.” Then his tongue slowly licked the icing near my mouth. “Mmm….cream cheese frosting.”

 

I died and gone to hell. With that he left, and I was all hot and bothered. I leaned against the counter trying to regain my composure, should a customer walk in.

 

“Did AJ Fuck Me McLean just lick your face?” Lilly asked as she walked back in from upstairs.

 

“Where’s Reese?” I ignored my sister’s comment.

 

“I put her down for a nap. She was tired.” Lilly jumped onto the counter. “So tell my about AJ.”

 

“There’s nothing to tell. Apparently you saw it.” I giggled. “Why don’t you tell me how the hell you snagged a ride from two Backstreet Boys?”

 

Lilly proceeded to tell her story in great detail. I enjoyed living vicariously through her life. She always had the coolest things happen to her. I was happy for her. She deserved it for taking care of me and Jade all those years.  I hoped that she would be able to have some more fun with Nick. He gave her his phone number. I told her she better call him or Jade and I had no problem doing it.

 

“Okay time to get serious. Why are you living over top the store?”

 

I didn’t want to talk about my issues. This is the one reason; I never invited my sisters to visit me. I didn’t want their pity. Sure things were tough, but I was bound and determined to make it on my own.

 

“I couldn’t afford the house. It was too much money. I had to cut costs, so I decided to turn the upstairs into an apartment.”  I made sure my voice had a happy tone to it.

 

“You’re lying.” Lilly jumped down and walked over to me. “I’m your big sister, and I want the truth.”

 

I hesitated for a moment. “Fine. I hate when you pull out the big sister card.” I couldn’t look at Lilly. “About a year ago, Sebastian took the house away from me. He met someone new, and he wanted the house.”

 

“What a fucker! Take a house from his daughter and her mother. Why didn’t you fight him for the house and child support?” Lilly was mad. I couldn’t blame her.

 

“He signed his parental rights away the day after Reese was born. Sebastian only wanted the house because his new girlfriend was pregnant with his child.” It still hurt talking about it.

 

“What a fucking bastard. If I see him, I’m going to kill him.” Her temper was coming out.

 

“Stop. You’re in L.A. to see the Backstreet Boys and have a great time. Let’s enjoy ourselves and send Jade some texts rubbing it in how we met Nick and AJ.”

 

That sent us into a fit of giggles. “I love how you think.” Lilly grabbed her cell and started typing away.