- Text Size +

The Truth Between The Lies

By Dottie

Copyright 2012

 

Chapter 5

 

Jade

 

                When my phone starts beeping, I know its Lilly and Aspen. If they knew I was already in LA, they’d both kill me, but I had to get these promotional shots done for my new book, Spellbound. I have to tell the girls about it now. My picture is going to be everywhere and once the subject of my book gets out, the shit will hit the fan.

            Here’s the thing…I got my creative start writing fan fiction. That’s right, I’d take my favorite celebrities and turn them into whatever I wanted them to be. Naturally, I wrote about the Backstreet Boys. Why wouldn’t I? Plus, I knew things about Nick that no one else knows. I used that. 

            As the last of the shots are being taken, my agent walks in and says, “You are NEVER gonna believe what I set up!”

            I see the wicked grin on her face and say, “Now what have you roped me into, Pam?”

            She says, “Remember how we were jumping through hoops trying to get permission to use a picture of the Backstreet Boys for the cover?”

            I nod and say, “Yeah, I do. What, did they agree?”

            She says, “Even better. They’ll be here this afternoon to pose with you!”

            My mouth drops open and I stutter, “W-w-what did you say?”

            She laughs and says, “Figures you’d turn teenager on me. They’ll be here in twenty minutes.”

            I sigh as she walks away. OK, yeah, I’d LOVE to see Nick again…but with all of them here? How the HELL do I handle this one?

            I grab my phone to check the messages as they touch up makeup. Thankfully, they have me in all black, one of my best colors. The basis of the book is the main female lead is a witch and she casts her spell on the group.  It borders on erotica and the publishers seem to think it will be even bigger than Crash and Burn.

            When I start reading the texts from the girls, I can’t help but laugh. They are so trying to rub it in that they met Nick and AJ.  Wait till they find out what I’m doing this afternoon.  Wonder if I can get copies of the pictures today?

            As I’m pondering how to answer their texts, I hear a commotion and look up to find myself staring into a VERY familiar pair of eyes. When Nick’s gaze locks on mine, I can almost see the wheels turning in his head. When I smile at him, I can see the recognition on his face.

            He walks away from the others and strolls up to me. When he’s two feet away, he says, “Jade, is that really you?”

            I laugh and stand, saying, “Sure is. How you been, Nick?”

            He reaches for my hand then tugs me into his arms and says, “Good. Oh my God, I can’t believe…YOU are Lacey Shadows?”

            I laugh as I inhale his fragrance. I say, “Yeah, I am.”

            He says, “The first book was amazing! I just…WOW. I can’t believe…I didn’t think I’d ever see you again.”

            I glance away, then back to his eyes and say, “Can we talk later? Alone?”

            He smiles and says, “I was just gonna ask you the same thing.”

            Before I can say anything else, AJ walks up and says, “Nick…don’t tell me you know this ravishing creature!  That will be two beautiful women you’ve picked up today.”

            I start to giggle at Nick’s blush. He turns to me and says, “What?”

            I look at AJ and say, “Nick and I have known each other a while. I haven’t seen him for what, three years now?”

            At my questioning glance, Nick says, “Yeah, close to it. I never knew you were a writer.”

            I say, “I wasn’t till last year. I always wanted to be, but I never had a good enough story. Till Crash and Burn popped into my head.”

            AJ says, “God, I love that book. It was so amazing. I couldn’t put it down.”

            I smile at him and say, “Thank you, AJ. That means a lot to me.”

            Brian walks up and says, “He’s right, he got us hooked. What’s the new book called?”

            I say, “Spellbound. While we’re on the subject, I’d really like to thank you all for agreeing to let me publish it.  Did you get a chance to read the manuscript?”

            AJ says, “Nah. We’re waiting for the book.”

            I laugh and say, “You get the first copies, I promise.”

            Pam walks up and says, “As soon as the fourth member arrives, we can get started. Jade, back in makeup.”

            Brian says, “Jade?”

            I smile and say, “My real name. Lacey Shadows is my pen name.”

            Nick smirks and says, “Sounds kind of naughty.”

            Walking past him to get to the makeup chair, I lower my voice to a whisper, and say, “You should know.”

            I watch Nick as they touch up the silver eyeliner around my eyes. I’ve always LOVED the fact that my eyes are blue-gray.  I’m complimented a lot, and now that I have Nick staring into them again, I just can’t help but get all tingly inside.  When they start putting the flame red lipstick on my lips, Nick licks his. Odds are he’s thinking what I am. Where’s the nearest Ficus?

            Before I can get too involved in that fantasy, my phone rings.  After being assured my makeup is done, I answer it to find Lilly and Aspen on the other end.  I say, “Hey trouble makers, I got your texts.”

            Lilly says, “We wanted to make sure you weren’t mad at us. We had to share.”

            Staring at Nick staring at me, I say, “Why in the world would I get mad?”      

            Suddenly, Pam yells, “Jade, you ready?”

            I say, “Girls, I gotta go.  I’ll call you in a few.”

            I hear Aspen say, “What the hell?” just as I hang up. For good measure, I turn off my phone. No sense tempting fate.

            Nick walks over after having his own make up applied and says, “I still can’t believe it.”

            I smirk and say, “Know what I can’t believe?”

            He says, “What?”

            I say, “I can’t believe you picked up my sister at the airport.”

            The look on his face makes me giggle. I hear the makeup artist say, “You smear that lipstick and I’ll have to hurt you!”

            I laugh at her and say, “Hey, I’ll smear it if I want to!”

            She shakes her head at me as I turn back to Nick. He says, “Lilly and Aspen are your sisters?”  When I nod, he says, “No wonder.”

            I say, “What do you mean?”

            He says, “Your hair and hers. She reminded me of you.”

            I say, “Dear Lord, don’t tell her that. She’ll hate me forever.”

            He says, “I won’t. She’s a stunning woman.”

            OK, that one stings. I want him to be complimenting me, but he’s bragging on Lilly. I start to turn away and he says, “Jade wait.”

            Just as I turn to face him, Brian walks up and says, “Jade, this is Howie.”

            Howie says, “Sorry I’m late. LA traffic sucks.”

            I force a smile and say, “It’s ok.” Looking to Pam, I say, “Are we ready?”

            She says, “Sure, come on.”

            As we’re walking toward the set, Nick takes my hand and says, “Don’t do that.”

            I turn and say, “What?” pissed at myself that I can’t control my emotions around him.

            He says, “Don’t shut me out. All I meant is she is a beautiful woman…but I only flirted because she reminded me of you.”

            I say, “Don’t worry about it, Nick.”

            He says, “Can we still talk when we’re done?”

            I say, “Do you want to?”

            He nods and says, “More than you’ll ever know.”

           

            For the photo shoot, they sit me on a deep burgundy settee and have Nick on one side of me, Brian on the other.  AJ and Howie are behind the settee leaning over the back. All of them are supposed to be gazing at me while I look at the camera. Talk about unnerving!  I’m about to wet my pants! Having Nick drawing circles on my hand while we’re doing this isn’t helping any.

            About 12 shots in, I say, “Hey, AJ, can I ask you something?”

            Without moving too much, he says, “Sure thing, Darling. What?”

            I say, “Did you really lick my sister’s face today?”

            Brian says, “What the hell?”

            Howie goes, “Huh?”

            Nick starts laughing and AJ says, “Aspen is your sister?”

            I smile wickedly at the camera and say, “She sure is. How did she taste?”

            I see Pam looking at me like I have 3 heads.  It’s taking all I have not to crack up laughing. AJ says, “She tastes good. I’d like to taste more of her.”

            Brian says, “Dammit AJ!”

            I can feel Nick smirking when he mutters under his breath, “Bet she doesn’t taste as good as you.”

            OK, THAT made me feel better. After the shoot, I turn to AJ and say, “I can’t believe you licked my sister.”

            He laughs, kind of blushing, and says, “She’s a woman begging to be licked.”

            I say, “Well, you made her day! And apparently, Reese wants to draw on her arms now. Thanks for that.”

            He laughs and says, “I told her she had to wait till she was 18. Guess Mom missed that.”

            Nick says, “Yeah, she was focused on your tongue.”

            Brian says, “OK, will someone please explain this to me? AJ licked your sister? Where?”

            AJ chortles as Brian blushes, realizing how dirty his question sounds. I snicker and say, “I wasn’t there, but I have it on good authority he licked her in…” Brian’s face is blood red by now.  I continue by saying, “Cupcake shop.”

            AJ says, “Girl, you are WICKED!”

            I shake my head and say, “Not me!”

            Howie says, “Are your sisters as pretty as you?” Ever the Latin Lover. 

            I smile and say, “I think they are prettier, but you be the judge.” I take out my phone and show them pictures of Lilly and Aspen. When AJ sees the one of Aspen, I say, “Want me to text it to you?”

            He smirks and says, “More than you know!”

            I giggle and say, “You got it!”

            Brian, however, seems focused on Lilly. He says, “Wow, she’s beautiful. What color are her eyes?”

            Before I can answer, Nick says, “Light blue.”

            I turn to glance at him before saying, “He’s right. I’m jealous of her eyes. They have these green and gold flecks in them that sparkle.”

            Brian says, “I’m looking forward to meeting her. Both of them.”

            I smile and say, “Sunday at brunch. I was surprising them with that.”

            Brian says, “Forget that, let’s do dinner tonight!”

            I say, “Seriously? Don’t you have things to do before the show tomorrow?”

            He says, “Yeah. Meeting your sister tops that list. Come on, dinner?”

            How do you say no to those puppy dog eyes?  I say, “OK, but later. They don’t even know I’m in LA yet. This weekend is all about surprises and Aspen’s birthday.”

            AJ says, “Aspen’s birthday? This weekend?”

            I say, “Yeah, Saturday. That’s why we’re here for the show. Gonna party all weekend.”

            AJ says, “I think we’re gonna have to sing Happy Birthday tomorrow night, fellas.”

            On an impulse, I hug his neck and say, “That would be AMAZING!! I won’t say a word.”   I turn to Nick and say, “Want to get a cup of coffee? Maybe catch up before I surprise my sisters?”

            He says, “Sure. I’d love to.”

            Brian says, “Dinner around 9 ok? Nick get her number so we can make plans.”

            Nick says, “Not to worry, Brian. I’m DEFINITELY getting her number.”

            Pam walks over and hands me a flash drive. She says, “Here are the pictures. I have to know Monday which you want to use. The book is out in two weeks and we need to get the cover printed.”

            I say, “No problem. I’ll let you know tonight. Maybe Aspen and Lilly will help me pick it out.”

            As she walks away, Nick says, “I will. Wanna stay at my place while you’re in LA?”

            I say, “Thought you had a girlfriend.”

            He snorts and says, “I did too. Turns out SHE had another boyfriend.”

            I touch his hand and say, “Sorry Nick.”

            He says, “Don’t be. I’m not.” As I turn to say good bye to the rest of the guys, I hear him say, “I’m not sorry at all now.”