- Text Size +

The Truth Between The Lies

By Dottie

Copyright 2012

 

Chapter 8

 

Jade

 

            I look at Lilly after Aspen runs off and say, “What the hell was that?”

            Lilly says, “I don’t know.”

            I lower my eyes and say, “She was right. I shouldn’t have kept secrets from you two.”

            Lilly says, “Why did you, Jade? Yeah, we would have been jealous as hell, but still…”

            I snort and say, “Truthfully? He was mine. If he had seen you or Aspen, he wouldn’t have been mine anymore. You and Aspen have always been prettier than me.”

            She says, “Jade, why do you always compare yourself to us? You’re beautiful.”

            I say, “You know what…we should go find Aspen and see what’s going on.”

            As we get back to our table, AJ says, “Where’s Aspen?”

            I shrug and sit beside Nick. He takes my hand which should comfort me, but somehow it just makes me feel even guiltier. Lilly says, “I guess she went home. I’m sorry, AJ, she won’t talk to us.”

            AJ stands and says, “Well she’s going to talk to me. See you later.”

            After he leaves, Brian says, “OK, so what’s really going on?”

            I sigh and say, “Well, usually we share everything, but lately, it seems we’ve all been hiding some kind of secret from the others. Maybe she’s just mad at me, I don’t know.”

            Nick says, “What did you hide from them?”

            I turn to him and say, “Besides you? Well, until today, they didn’t know about my book.”

            Colleen says, “Why didn’t you tell them about the book? It’s incredible.”

            Lilly says, “That’s my fault. She’s loved to write her whole life. Being the oldest, I felt I had to teach them to be responsible. I wasn’t very supportive of her dreams.” Looking at me, she says, “I’m sorry Twig. Forgive me for being stupid?”

            Before I can answer her, Nick says, “Twig?”

            I roll my eyes and say, “Gee, thanks for that one, Lilly Blue.”

            She blushes and Brian says, “Umm, what’s the inside joke?”

            Nick turns my face to his and says, “Come on, Twig?”

            I sigh and say, “It’s what they called me growing up because I hated my first name. I still hate it.”

            Colleen says, “Why do you hate Jade? It’s beautiful.”

            Lilly says, “That’s not her first name. Willow is.”

            I groan and “God I hate that name!”

            Nick says, “Willow Jade.  I like it.”

            Lilly says, “If you plan on getting lucky, don’t call her that.”

            He looks at me and says, “You’d really make me suffer that way?”

            Not caring that everyone is listening, I say, “I kind of doubt it. I’ve missed you, you big jerk.”

            He leans in and kisses me. Holy Moses, I felt it in my toes.  I hear Lilly say, “Would you two like to be alone?”

            I pull my lips from his, staring into his eyes and say, “Yes, Lilly Blue, very much so.”

            Brian clears his throat and says, “Lilly Blue?”

            I hear Lilly say, “My name is Lilly Sapphire. Hence, Lilly Blue.”

            Brian says, “What a pretty name! And so unusual.”

            Colleen says, “Both are pretty. What about Aspen?”

            I pull my gaze from Nick as he leans closer to me and wraps his arm around my shoulder. I say, “Aspen Ruby. Our parents were hippies.”

            Howie says, “And her nickname?”

            Lilly laughs and says, “Red.”

            We all chuckle before I say, “I’m going to call and check on her. Excuse me.”

            Little did I know when I left the table, Nick followed me.  I step outside the restaurant and dial her number.  When she answers, all she says is, “I’m fine. Just let it go.”

            I say, “I can’t, Red. I’m sorry for keeping secrets from you. I should have told you both about Nick. And about my book. I was afraid.”

            She says, “Why were you afraid? We love you.”

            I say, “I know that. But I was afraid you wouldn’t like my book. What if it flopped? There were too many what ifs.”

            She says, “Well, that doesn’t explain why you didn’t tell us about Nick.”

            I sigh, leaning against the building as I say, “I didn’t want to share him with you.”

            She says, “Jade, do you think we would have…could have?  Seriously, we wouldn’t have done anything…I mean…”

            I laugh and say, “I get it Aspen. You would have been happy for me. Still, I was 21 and what he and I shared…I don’t think I can tell you what it meant to me. What it still means to me.”

            She says, “Really, it’s ok. I get it.”

            I say, “Aspen, what happened? Why did you freak out? AJ was so confused. We all were.”

            She says, “You’re not the only one that kept secrets Jade. And I’m not ready to…hey, someone’s at the door. Can we talk tomorrow?”

            I say, “Sure. I just wanted to make sure you’re ok.”

            She says, “I’m fine. I love you Twig.”

            I say, “I love you too Red.”

            I hang up and close my eyes, leaning my head against the brick wall of the restaurant. I almost jump out of my skin when I hear Nick say, “What does it mean to you, Jade?”

            I groan and say, “Nothing. Nothing at all.”

            He turns me around and says, “Don’t lie to me. You never have before. Talk to me.”

            Lowering my head, I say, “Nick, I’ve known you over 10 years. The last three have been agony for me. Because you were with her.”

            He says, “What are you saying, Jade?”

            She says, “I…fell in love with you. A long time ago.” When he doesn’t say anything, I rush on, saying, “It’s ok. I don’t expect you to feel the same. I know what we had was just physical for you. I’m ok with that.”

            He says, “Jade, it wasn’t…isn’t…just physical. I just…I can’t say it’s love now. We haven’t seen each other in so long. I’m different. You’re different.”

            Feeling my heart slowly crack apart, I paste on a neutral look and say, “I told you, it’s ok. I didn’t expect you to be in love with me.” Pushing away from him, I say, “Want to finish dinner? Maybe hit a club or two?”

            He says, “No, I want to be alone with you after dinner. I want to take you to my house and make up for all the time I’ve missed you.”

            Forcing myself to sound upbeat and normal, I grab his belt and pull him closer to me and say, “I’d like that myself, Nick.”

            He kisses me. Oh Lord how he kisses me. In the midst of my knees buckling and my panties getting wet, little pieces of my heart fall away. All this is for him is sex. But if I give this up, I won’t have any part of him. I can’t give him up yet.

 

            When we get back to the table, my false face is still in place. I look at Lilly and say, “She says she’s ok. I think AJ just got there.”

            I know Lilly can see right through me.  She wisely doesn’t say anything, but she gives me that ‘we’re gonna talk’ look she always gave me growing up. Finally, she says, “Well, we were talking about hitting a club. You two up for it?”

            Before I can answer, Nick says, “As fun as that sounds, we’re gonna pass. We have some catching up to do. I glance up in time to see him wink at her and say, “Save me a dance for the next time, ok?”

            When Lilly says, “You’ve got it, Handsome,” I get so jealous, I almost cry. I bite my lip and turn away, hoping no one can see the torment on my face.

            Somehow, I make it through the rest of dinner. When we get back into the limo, Howie says, “They are going to drop us at the club, Nick, then take you and Jade to your place.”

            Leering at me, he says, “Sounds like the best part of the night.”

            OK, heartbroken or not, I know he wants me. He wants to take me home with him. It’s gotta count for something, right?  I mean, if he didn’t want to be alone, we’d be going out with them, wouldn’t we?

            After they get out of the limo, Nick leans back and says, “Come over here, Jade.”

            I slide over next to him and whisper, “Yes, Nick?”

            He plays with my earring and says, “You know what I want…don’t you Jade?”

            I wipe emotion from my face and whisper, “Yes, Master.”

            An evil smirk plays at his lips and he says, “Good, you remember our favorite game. Tell me, and be honest…do you want to play tonight? Or would you rather tonight be easier? Because trust me, as much as I want to just fuck you,  the thought of making love to you is just as appealing. Please, tell me Jade, what would make you happiest?”

            I study his eyes. I know he means it. I say, “I want you to make love to me Nick. It’s been too long. We can play other nights…can’t we?”

            He laughs and says, “Only if you want to, Jade. You never told me if you actually liked our games. Did you?”

            I think about all the times we played. I enjoyed most of it. Being totally honest, I say, “I wasn’t too thrilled about the spankings, but the reward afterward made them tolerable.”

            He smirks and says, “So we leave that part out. Tell me, Lacey Shadows, how much of yourself was in that book? Do you really want to try new things?”

            Running my finger across his lower lip, I whisper, “I want to try a lot of things, Nick.”

            He sucks on my finger tip before saying, “Tomorrow. Tonight, I’m going to make love to the most beautiful woman that’s ever graced my bed.”

            By the time we reach his house, my body is trembling with desire.  As he carries me through the front door and up to his room, he says, “Damn I’ve missed you Jade. I never stopped thinking about you.”

            His words go straight to my heart. Even though I don’t know where we’re gonna go, right now, he’s mine. And I’m gonna do whatever I have to do to make sure he STAYS mine this time.