- Text Size +
Story Notes:

This fanfic was a remake of my very first original story. It is complete and the first of a series. I hope you will enjoy it and the stories that are to follow.  

Yes, it’s true; my best friend since the diaper years was Nick Carter. We grew up together and I was one of his main supporters when he first became a Backstreet Boy. Nick was the best friend a girl like me could ever have and even though he became famous, Nick was still just Nick in my eyes. The whole rock star persona never really took over him.  

Distance threatened to ruin our friendship but in many ways it made us stronger, a lot stronger. We would call each other as often as we could day or night and I had to tutor him a few times while he was being schooled on the roads. We both promised each other that we would still be best friends and we kept true to our word.

I loved having Nick as a best friend but ever since I was 16, I started to look at Nick with different eyes.

 

It all started before my sweet 16 birthday party. Nick was doing a lot to help my mom and I plan the party. He even helped set up the Elks lodge that held the party. I still laugh to this day when I remember how we almost got kicked out by my own mother because we were horsing around so much while we were decorating. He, my sister and I kept fighting over what decoration to put where. Nick would drive my sister Kim crazy because if she put up a decoration he would take it down and put it in another place. Let me tell you, Nick wasn’t the greatest decorator and the lodge finally ended up being decorated the way Kim planned it out.

He also helped with creating the guest list. He knew just who to invite and pretty much made my guest list for me; all I had to do was approve of it.

The day of the party came pretty quickly. And to tell you the truth I’m not sure who was more excited, myself, my sister, or Nick.

Nick promised he would be the first one to show up, but as usual he was late because of some meeting or practice or something. So instead of being the first to show up he was the last.

I smiled widely when Nick finally walked in. He was wearing a gray suit with a dark purple shirt and tie that matched the color of my dress perfectly. I knew Nick was wearing it just for me, because purple is my favorite color. He looked really, really handsome and my heart started to flutter when he smiled at me. I could feel my face become hot as I stared at him and my hands started to quiver with nervousness. I only acted like that when I was around my crush, Ryan, who I have known since 8th grade and was another good friend of mine. To this day I couldn’t believe that I was able to talk to Nick and that I was actually acting like that around my best friend.     

“Well, look who finally showed up!” I said to him as he walked into the front door of the lodge.

“Kalie I’m so sorry I’m late. I had…”

“I know you were caught up with ‘work’.” ‘Work’ was what we called it when Nick had something to do with his future with music.

“I tried to get out but Lou wasn’t listening to me. I really wanted to be the first one here.”

“I know you did. But you’re here now Kaos. That’s all that matters,” I hugged him tightly, “and you are just in time for food. Go eat and then we’ll start partying. I have to go dance with Dad, Grandpa, Kyle and Kasey.”

“Did you eat already?”

“Yeah Kaos. Don’t worry about me. I got it covered.”

“You know I’ll be asking you all night tonight right?”

“I know, I know but you don’t have to. Kaos I’ll be ok tonight, trust me.”

“Kalie, I’ve known you since we were in diapers and I still don’t trust you,” he said jokingly.

“I know you don’t because I don’t trust you too,” I joked back and stuck my tongue out at him.

Nick grabbed a plate and piled as much food as possible on it being typical Nick, the bottomless pit.

As a family tradition I slow danced with my twin brother Kasey first, then my older brother Kyle. Then he handed me over to Grandpa, and finally my Dad got the last dance. I was really glad and relieved that my dad and grandfather didn’t start tearing while we danced; instead their eyes were filled with pride and happiness. I made them promise me before the party that they wouldn’t cry and they didn’t. I figured they should save that for my wedding.

I waited for my friends to finish their dinner then asked the DJ to start up the party. The lights were lowered and all of my friends were on the dance floor, even Kim, Kyle and his longtime girlfriend Melissa were dancing with us teens.

Even though pretty much all of my friends were at my party, I stuck close to my main best friends. I tried my hardest to mix and mingle with everyone but Crystal, Daniel, Chris, Michelle and Nick were right by my side where ever I went, like they always were. The six of us were inseparable and we truly were best friends since day one.

My party was amazing and everyone was having a great time expect for my crush Ryan. He was sitting by himself for most of the night. He was the “James Dean” rebel in our grade but he never really did anything to get himself into trouble. He was a smart rebel. He looked like the iconic movie star but with coffee brown hair and chocolate eyes that I often found myself day dreaming about. I loved Ryan’s style but I have to admit that he cleaned up nicely in his dark gray suit and blue shirt. He looked really good and Crystal, Michelle and I agreed that he should get on the dance floor to show off like everyone else was doing. It took a lot of coaxing but my girls and I finally got him on the dance floor. Besides his looks and his kind personality, Ryan was a good dancer. Nick even had challenged him to a dance contest. Ryan was pretty shy but he seemed to shake his fears while he was dancing with everyone else. Nick was the biggest ham and had a blast showing off his moves.

Everyone stayed on the dance floor for most of the night and the party was going smoothly… until the slow dance.

I was really wishing that Ryan would ask me to dance and it looked like he was going to until he asked me, “Kalie, where’s the bathroom?”

My heart dropped a little as I answered with my finger pointed, “It’s right there.” He was having such a good time dancing with me and my friends that I was sure he was going to ask me.

I solemnly walked back to my table and sat down as most of my friends paired up.

Ryan came back from the bathroom and headed for my table. My heart started to beat faster but he walked right past me and sat down at the table across the room. I felt like I was going to cry when someone tapped me on the shoulder and nearly scared the crap out of me. It was my twin Kasey.

“Kayl, you can’t be a wall flower at your own sweet 16. Come dance with me.”

“Ok Kase.” I took his out reached hand and he escorted me to the dance floor.

I had a bad feeling when Kasey flashed one of his mischievous smiles at me. Kasey and I had the strongest relationship out of all of the siblings, although Kim, Kyle, Kasey, and myself were all very close. (And yes our parents had a thing with names starting with K if you didn’t figure that out yet. LOL) He and I always got in trouble with each other but we could also get each other out of it. Kasey and I had been ball room dance partners since we were six. We were the best partners because we could read each other’s mind and Kasey could read me like a book.

“What’s up your sleeve bro?”

“Nothing. I just wanted to slow dance with my favorite sister. But don’t tell Kim I said that.”

I giggled, “I won’t. You’re secret is safe with me.”   

“So…” Kasey started. “I can’t help but notice that you’ve been crushing on Ryan lately. Why aren’t you dancing with him?”

I let out a sigh.

“I know that sigh. You’re either too chicken to ask him yourself or you’re over him or you thought he was different.”

“Damn Kase. You’re right with all three. I really thought he was going to ask me to dance but he just wanted to know where the bathroom was. I don’t know. It seems like he doesn’t notice me.”

“I think he knows you like him and he’s afraid to do anything about it. He may seem like James Dean on the outside but he’s probably a chicken like you in the inside.”

I lightly slapped his arm, “I am no chicken. I’m probably the bravest girl in our grade.”

“Kalie you are the bravest girl in our grade. You’re the only girl I know who has the guts enough to stand up to the biggest bully in our grade who beat up Daniel that one time. Remember that?”

“Oh I remember. That was 1st grade. Billy pushed Dan into the mud in the playground then kicked him pretty hard.”

“Yeah and you stopped him from kicking Dan again and made him fall to his knees when you kicked Billy’s nuts! He never picked on any of our friends again.”

“I take after Kim. What can I say?” We laughed then Kasey’s girlfriend showed up from her softball practice like she said she would. Kasey flashed me one of his smiles and I nodded my head approvingly. He left me standing on the dance floor to go dance with his girl. I don’t blame him really, she was one of the better girlfriends he has had and they really loved each other. At least I wasn’t a wall flower for the whole song.

I made my way for my table again and out of nowhere someone grabbed my hand. I turned around and found Nick was the one clutching my hand.

“Where are you going missy? You’ve got a song to slow dance to,” Nick smirked at me and pulled me back on the dance floor. I had no chance to protest.

At first it was awkward. I have never danced with someone beside family members like Kyle and Kasey before. We never switched partners in dance class either so Kasey was always the person I danced with.

I looked up at Nick and he just grinned at me, “So what’s with being a wall flower all of a sudden?”

“I didn’t feel like dancing, that’s all.”

“You not wanting to dance? Are you feeling ok? You’re always up to dancing. Besides you’re the best one on the dance floor. Ryan is being a jerk isn’t he? P.S. I know you like him.”

“How’d you find out? The only people I’ve told are…”

“Crystal and Michelle I know. Kalie I know you way too well. You can’t hide things from me. Besides I was there when Tally and Mich were trying to talk him into asking you to dance. I knew I better watch out for you when he answered, ‘I don’t know. I’ll have to think about it.’ Then I saw the look on your face when he asked where the bathroom was. I was going to grab you before you sat down but Kasey beat me to it. But I see he has left you for his girl so…”

“But can you blame him though? Trish is one of the better ones that he’s had in a while. You didn’t have to drag me onto the floor. I could have sat down. Actually I would have gone out to the terrace I need a little fresh air.”

“I couldn’t have let you been out there alone. Besides it’s a lot more fun in here.” He flashed a cheesy smile at me and I giggled shaking my head.

“You’re too much Kaos.”

“I know I try. So… have I told you how lovely you look tonight?”

I was taken aback by his words, “What did you just say?”

“I said you look beautiful tonight Kalie. Purple is really your color.”

“Thanks Kaos. And you clean up pretty nicely yourself there bud.”

“Why thank you. So… are you really crushing hard on Ryan that it upset you this much that he didn’t ask you to dance?”

I looked into his eyes and saw a mixture of sympathy, concern and something else that I couldn’t figure out. I kept my gaze on his sky blue eyes and answered, “After he did that… I think I’m ok with just being friends. And I don’t think I’m ready for another relationship just yet… not after Paul.”

“Yeah that jerk. Well you can take all the time you want. And just remember that I need to approve of the guy before you start dating him.”

I laughed, “Nick you’re my best friend, not my father!”

“I know but remember I’ll still have your back no matter what.”

I grinned, “You really are the best Nick.”

“I’m glad you think so.”

“Paul wasn’t really that bad was he?”

“He was a complete ass hole to you after you broke up with him.”

“Yeah he was a jack ass after that. Well I don’t have to talk to him anymore.”

“That’s a plus.”

We continued the rest of the dance and when it finished Chris’s voice came over the microphone. Nick still held me like we were slow dancing as we listened to Chris, “Hi everyone. I would just like to invite everyone out to the terrace but first I wanted to say Kalie, I hope you really like your surprise. Kim, Kyle, Kasey, Michelle, Crystal, Dan, Nick and myself threw this together for you so happy birthday! We love you Kay!”

“Come on we have to get you the best spot!” Nick grabbed my hand again and pulled me out to the terrace. My best friends followed and everyone waited for the surprise.

Nick had me stand right by the railing which was not the best idea.

“Nick you know I’m terrified of heights!” I said nervously to him who was standing behind me.

“Kalie its ok I’m right here. You know what,” he looked at me and offered his hand, “just hold on to my hand. And look the banister is concreted to the terrace. This thing won’t break. And if it does…”

“Oh great! Don’t even make me think about that!” I slapped his hand.

“It’s not going to break. I was just saying that if it does I’ll be here to catch you. I promise.”

“Ok. Why are we out here anyway?”

“You’ll see. Just look to the sky.” He moved closer to me as I took his hand and he put his other arm around my shoulders. I don’t know why but I felt really secure with him standing like that and I started to notice butterflies fluttering around in my stomach. Why was I feeling like this? Nick was my best friend I couldn’t be crushing on him. Could I?

I noticed him staring down at me. I looked up into his eyes that were shinning like the stars above our heads. I never really noticed how tall he was until now and how defined his facial features were.

“What are you looking at?” I asked with a raised eyebrow.

“You duh!” he said kiddingly.

“When will I see my surprise?”

“In a matter of seconds. Just keep looking.”

Just as Nick said that a loud firework lit up the sky!

I watched the fireworks in awe as the vibrant greens, blues, reds, and golds lit up the night sky. I couldn’t believe my siblings and best friends set this up just for me.

The second to last firework exploded into a giant purple 16. Nick said in my ear as the 16 faded, “Happy sweet 16 Kalie!” Then he kissed my cheek and as he did the final firework erupted into a purple heart with a golden K in the middle. Before the sparks were extinguished my best friends and siblings screamed, “We love you Kalie!”

Nick squeezed me and for some unknown reason I just wanted to stay like that forever. I wanted each night to be just like my sweet 16.

As the smoke cleared Nick looked down at me and asked, “Did you like it?”

“I loved it Nick! That’s the sweetest thing anybody as ever done for me! Thank you so much Kaos!”

“You’re welcome Kalie.” He hugged me again and kissed my forehead. I looked up at him one last time before we went back inside.

There was something about the way he looked under the moonlight. I couldn’t put my finger on it but I couldn’t keep my eyes off of him. I started to go into some sort of trance when my best friends and siblings ambushed me from behind.

“What’d you think of it sis?” Kim asked.

“I loved it! You guys are the best ever! I love you all so much you have no idea!” I exclaimed as I hugged everyone involved with setting up the fireworks.

“You’re welcome Kay. You made each of our 16 birthdays special so we wanted to make yours special,” Michelle replied.

“You guys really did make my sweet 16 sweet!” 

We went back inside to have cake then have a few more dances, the last one being a slow dance, which Nick grabbed me for.

I was pretty tired by the final song so Nick let me rest my head on his chest while we danced. At first it felt weird but then it started to feel natural. I kind of liked that feeling but I never really expected that I really wanted that feeling, that I would long for that feeling.

I didn’t want Nick or any of my friends for that matter to leave. I tried my hardest to keep Nick with me for as long as possible but he had work the next morning. He promised me he would be over at my house in time to watch me open my presents but I wasn’t getting my hopes up about that because I knew his manager could be a prick at times.

“So how was dancing with Nick?” Crystal asked me the next afternoon while we were eating lunch. She, Michelle, Dan and Chris showed up to watch me open my presents. Nick showed up too but he couldn’t stay for lunch, work had to be done. At least he stayed to watch me open his gift last, an amethyst ring from Tiffany’s with quarts around the purple heart shaped stone.

“It was nice.”

“How did he behave?” Michelle questioned.

“He behaved like his normal self. Why’d you ask?”

“I think he likes you Kayl,” Dan stated plainly.

“Nickolas Gene Carter likes me?! No way! That can’t be possible! He’s my best friend and he’s like a brother to me!”

“He’s crushing on you Kayl! And I think you’re crushing on him,” Chris said in the same matter as Dan.

I looked at Michelle and Crystal and they just nodded their heads. I didn’t know what to say.

“I saw you lay your head on his chest during the last song and I also saw how he was holding you during the fireworks. Nick likes you Kay!” Michelle exclaimed.

I was in shock. I felt like I was the Little Mermaid when the wicked sea witch stole her voice; I couldn’t utter a single word.

Was it true? Was Nick really crushing on me? And was I starting to like him more than just a friend?