- Text Size +

Chapter 20 Does That Sound Familiar?

The annoying buzz of my alarm clock woke Mark and me up. Well it scared the shit of Mark because he wasn’t expecting it to be so loud.

“Morning,” I said.

“Mornin’ Kay. What’s for breakfast I’m hungry.”

I chuckled, “You just woke up. How could you be hungry already?”

“I’m always hungry when I wake up. Come on lets go eat.”

He jumped off the window bed and ran down the stairs. I laughed and followed him a little more slowly.

Mark helped himself to a huge bowl of cereal as I smeared cream cheese on a bagel with the knife I didn’t use the night prior. Mark carefully watched me handle the knife and I reassured him, “Chill. It’s just a knife. It’s going in the dishwasher after I spread the cream cheese.”

He nodded his head and continued eating.    

Nick and Paris walked into the kitchen. Nick’s hair was a mess and so was Paris’s. They were holding each other’s hands and they wore these ridiculous smiles on their faces.

“Morning,” I mumbled as I sipped my milk.

“Good morning Kalie,” Nick replied cheerfully.

“What are you still doing here? I thought you two would be gone by now,” Paris asked like the snob she is.

“We just got finished with breakfast,” I spoke up. 

“Oh excuse me little Miss Snappy,” she scoffed.  “What’s for breakfast?”

How about a nice knuckle sandwich for breakfast? I screamed in my head. “I don’t know,” I said out loud. “You guys will have to fend for yourself because Mark and I have to get going soon.”

“Do you have the fixings to make French toast?” Nick asked.

“Yeah just look through the cabinets. You know where everything is,” I replied.

I ran up to my room and changed into my work out clothes.

“You’re going to wear that?” Paris wrinkled her nose at my outfit when I stepped back into the kitchen. It was my usual yoga pants and a short sleeved shirt. I didn’t find anything wrong with them and they matched.

“Yeah what’s wrong with my outfit? I teach kids how to ballroom dance. I need to wear flexible clothes. See,” I pointed to a picture of Mark and I performing together. He was just about to help me up from a full split.

“Oh,” she huffed. “I don’t know why you would teach something like that to little kids. It’s just teaching them to be little sluts.”

“What?!” I spat at her, “You have got to be kidding me! I’m not teaching my students how to be sluts! I’m teaching them to have confidence in themselves! And I couldn’t teach them how to be sluts but I’m sure you can!”

“Kalie,” Nick said applauded, “I can’t believe you just said that!”

“I demand an apology!” her hands went to her hips and she looked down at me like I was some inferior being.

“I’m sorry it’s the truth,” I said seriously. I rolled my eyes and grabbed my keys. “Let’s go Mark.  I don’t want to be late.” I stormed out of the kitchen door and Mark followed without a word.

“Kalie what has gotten into you?” Nick followed me out to the drive way.

I ignored him and opened the door so Mark could jump in the passenger seat.

“Kalie, please answer me.”

“She has gotten on my verves for the last time! I am sick and tired of her!”

“Why?”

“Why?! Because there is just something about her that I can’t stand that’s why! I want her out of my house Nick. When I get back home I don’t care if you are here but I don’t want to see her here. Got that Nick?”

“Got it,” he whispered.

I didn’t reply; I just angrily jumped into my car and started the engine.

“We need to talk about this Kayl.”

No words escaped my mouth as I drove away. 

After a few hours of practicing with Mark we went back to the house and hung out for a little bit in the pool.

Nick had left a note saying to call him so he could talk to me. So after Mark left I dialed Nick’s number.

He came over so we could talk face to face.  

“So Kay, I wanna know why you hate my girlfriend.”

She took you away from me! That’s why I hate her. I had to shake that thought from my head so I wouldn’t tell him the wrong thing.

“I think you guys are moving way too fast. And don’t get mad at me but I think this relationship is only about the sex.”

“What? No it’s not. We haven’t had sex yet.”

“Don’t give me that bull shit. Your sisters and I heard you two on New Years and the damn noises kept me up last night too. You’re a guy and she’s the perfect woman and I expected it to happen but I thought you of all people would have the decency and courtesy to restrain yourself when you had company over and when you are staying at someone else’s house! Especially when that person who owns the house is in the room next to you! My walls aren’t made out of steel you know!”

“That’s why you hate her?”

“There’s more to it than just that Nick! She treats me like I’m trash! She makes me feel like I’m not good enough to be your best friend and she is such the fucking snob towards me! Can’t you see it Nick?”

“I never noticed it.”

“Of course you didn’t! Your mind is fucking clouded by her beauty and the sex you have! Since when were you like that?!”

“My mind isn’t clouded by her beauty or the sex. It’s clouded by how much I love her.”

“WHAT?! You have got to be kidding me!”

“I’m not kidding you Kay. Look,” he showed me his wrist.

“Why is there a tattoo of her name on your wrist and when in hells name did you get it?”

“I got it today. She got my name on her ankle. We got them because we love each other.”

“No good is going to come from this. I’m warning you Nick, no good. What do you see in her?”

“Kalie,” he shook his head at me, “Can’t you see that I’m in love with her and she makes me happy? Does that sound familiar? Now you know how I feel about Ryan.”

I threw up my hands in annoyance and frustration, “Whatever you say Nick. Don’t come crawling back to me when she breaks your heart. And if you do prepare to hear my voice say, ‘I told you so’.”

He dropped his head then looked back up at me, “What has gotten into you lately? You’re not my best friend who I have known since the diaper years.”

“It’s funny you’re asking that question because I was just about to ask you the same thing.”

Nick got up from his chair and left without a word.

“Bye to you too Nick,” I thought out loud.

Nick and I didn’t talk for a few weeks. And as I predicted the relationship between Nick and Paris was quickly sliding down hill. I was starting to think that Nick and I were never going to talk again; until he called me one afternoon.

“Hi Kayl.”

“Hey Nick.”

“Listen I called to say that I’m sorry. And that you were right. Paris and I are very close to breaking up and to be completely honest, I won’t be too upset if it happens soon. So go ahead and say it. You were right. She didn’t love me. She only loved the fact that I was another celebrity and that I had money she could spend. So go ahead and say I told you so.”

“Why should I add insult to injury?”

He chuckled, “Kayl you’re the best! And I missed you so much. I really did. It was killing me not talking to you for those past weeks. Do you forgive me?”

“Do you forgive me?”

“Of course I do.”

“Then I forgive you too.”

“You don’t know how happy you just made me. I got my best friend back!”

I laughed, “And I’ve got my best friend back. Want to go to lunch with me tomorrow? Just the two of us?”

“Sure. I’d love to.”

“Great!”

“I have to go. I’m recording another song and I’m almost finished with it but I had to make things right with you before I did.”

“Alright babe. I’ll let you go and I’ll see you tomorrow.”

“See ya Kay. I love you my best friend.”

“I love you too.” I closed my phone and let out a big sigh of relief. Nick and I were friends again so that was one thing checked off my list to worry about.

The next day I checked another thing off my list; Nick called me up and told me he broke up with Paris.

His exact words were, “I broke up with her about an hour ago. Let’s go out to lunch and celebrate. I’m a free man now! Ha ha!”

I laughed at how excited he was and I realized that maybe now I could finally tell him how I really feel.

We met at my house then I drove him to the restaurant we chose to eat at to celebrate his new found freedom. His eyes had this happy little shine in them and I knew he was overly happy. His happiness made me happy and gave me the feeling that things were going to go well.

As we waited for our food to be served Nick pulled out a folded piece of paper from his pocket and handed it to me.

“What’s this?

“Open it up and see.”

I carefully unfolded the paper and looked at the skull and cross bones on the paper.

“Did you draw this?”

“Yup. Like what it says on the scrolls under the skull?”

The scrolls read, “Old habits die hard.”

“Nick this would be an awesome tattoo.”

“I’m glad you think that because that’s what I’m planning on making it.”

“What do you mean?”

“I drew this while I was talking on the phone with you yesterday. It was kind of my final push to break up with her. I want to cover up this,” he showed me his wrist which had Paris’s name tattooed on it, “with this one I drew.”

“Why not just get that one removed?” I pointed at his ex’s name.

He shrugged, “I’ve heard it hurts more than getting a tattoo and besides this one has more meaning.”

“Oh… what is that meaning?”

He looked down at his wrist then at his sketch, “It represents what she changed me into and what I don’t want to be again. I don’t want to get her name removed so I can remember why I got the skull and cross bones in the first place. You probably don’t know this Kay but, she put me through a lot of pain in the end and the tattoo would also represent that.”

“Good reasons.”

“Thanks,” he smirked. “I was thinking…”

“Oh boy here we go. You thinking? I smell trouble,” I joked.

“Very funny. I was actually hoping that you would like to come with me while I get the new tat.”

“Really? Why do you want me there?”

“Well,” he stopped and thought about what he was going to say, “You helped me realize what a mistake I was making. I want you there because you helped me out a lot and… you’re special to me Kay.” He grinned shyly.

That little smile made the butterflies flutter around in my stomach, “Awe! Nick! You’re so cute! Sure I’ll go with you! When do you wanna get it done?”

“As soon as possible. I was thinking if we could go after lunch if you don’t mind.”

“I have nothing to do today.”

“Ok then we’ll go after lunch.”

“Sounds like a plan to me.”