- Text Size +
Author's Chapter Notes:

Kalie does something she never, ever thought she would do.  

Chapter 21 The Call That Changed My Destiny

On the way to the tattoo parlor, I popped BSB’s Chapter Hits into the cd player and Nick and I sang at the top of our lungs. The car ride was so much fun and we both agreed that we should just go driving sometime and sing again.

I watched intently as Nick got his tattoo.

“So Kayl,” Nick said. “When did you get that tat on the small of your back?”

“I didn’t tell you about that?”

“No. When’d you get it?”

“After graduation. I thought everyone knew I got my tat.”

“I guess everyone doesn’t include me.”

We laughed and his sky blue eyes stared into my brown ones. I smiled childishly back at him and when I did he took my hand and squeezed it. I squeezed his hand back. There was something about the way he looked at me. The only thing I could think was, Does he know? Did he finally figure me out? Is this he’s way of saying he likes me back?

“Ok, your tat is finished,” the tattoo artist said breaking the silence between Nick and I. Yes the silence was strange but, I kind of liked gazing into his eyes. Ok I’ll admit I loved looking into his eyes.

Nick looked at his tattoo and thanked the artist. He did a really good job and Nick was really pleased with the piece of art on his wrist. I liked it a lot too. Nick paid the artist and we drove back to my house.

“So what do you want to do now?” I asked when we got into my house.

“How about we find something on tv to watch and just chill?”

“Sounds good to me. Go find something you want to watch and I’ll fix the snacks. Just make yourself comfortable on the couch.”

“You don’t have to tell me twice,” he playfully pinched my side and I giggled. He walked away from me but I turned and lightly smacked his back.

“How dare you pinch me! That tickled!” I said playfully.

“I did no such thing. You’re imagining things silly girl! Go get the snacks like you said you were going to,” he said kiddingly as he pointed toward the kitchen.

“Oh I’ll get you a snack alright,” I said sarcastically back at him. He stuck out his tongue at me and I returned the gesture.

I placed the chips and dips on the coffee table then I went back into the kitchen to get the drinks. I handed Nick his then headed for my bedroom.

“I’ll be right back.”

“Where are you going?” Nick asked after he took a sip of his root beer.

“I’m going to change into my pjs.”

“Oh by the way speaking of pjs, can I stay over tonight?”

“Yeah, you can stay over as long as you want to.”

“Thanks Kay.”

“Don’t mention it. What is your best friend for huh?”

I quickly changed into my black booty shorts and the purple belly shirt that I used for pjs. I looked into my mirror and took my hair out of the French braid it was in. I ran the brush through it and decided to leave it down. I was having a good hair day and it actually stayed flat when I left it down. It was a miracle.

I came back into the living room and Nick whistled, “Well look at you in a belly shirt, booty shorts and your hair down. Who are you and what did you do to Kalie Marie Smith?”

“Oh shush.”

“Since when do you wear those clothes? And since when do you let your hair down? I think this is the third time I’ve seen you with your hair down besides the I Got You video.”

“It’s called I’m in my own home and I want to be comfortable.”

“Oh I’m not saying there is anything wrong with it. It looks really good down.”

“Thank you.”

“You should let it down more often.”

“That’s if it will stay like this more often.” He chuckled and I sat down on the opposite side of the couch as him. I curled my feet up close to my body. After I got comfortable Nick looked at me and the space between us.

He was quiet but the way his eyes darted from the empty space then back up to me made me somewhat uncomfortable but at the same time the look on his face was funny.

“What’s wrong?” I giggled out.

“What am I some type of deadly disease that you don’t want to get close to? You can get closer to me I don’t bite you know. Why did you sit so far away from me?” he said in a cute, pouty voice.

“This is my usual spot. It’s habitual for me to sit here.”

Nick pouted, “Could you sit closer though? So I won’t feel like you’re avoiding me.”

“Awe Nick. Ok, I’ll move.” I got up and repositioned myself closer to Nick. He put his arm around my shoulder and I rested my head on the back of the couch next to Nick’s head.

“You can put your head on my shoulder if it would be more comfortable for you,” he suggested.

“You sure?”

“Go ahead babe. I don’t mind.”

I moved my head and lightly rested it on his shoulder. I breathed in his cologne. Man did it smell good! He let his cheek rest on my forehead.

“Yum, your hair smells really good!” He buried his noise into my hair.

“Thanks. It’s a new shampoo I’m using.”

“Damn! I can get high off of this shit! It smells so good!” I gently laughed as his hand came to the side of my face and pushed his noise further onto my head. I felt him lightly kiss the top of my head and I thought my stomach was going to tie itself in knots from flipping over so many times. Nick’s opposite hand went around my waist and my hand instinctively went to Nick’s opposite shoulder and stayed there. We stayed like that for a long moment until we heard the front door open.

I didn’t expect Ryan to come home that day but he did. He almost saw Nick and I on the couch but Nick quickly sat up straight when he heard Ryan’s heavy footsteps. It was a good thing Ryan didn’t catch Nick and me because he was already in a bad mood when he walked in. Who knows what he could have said if he saw the way we were.

A few weeks went by and Nick dove heavily into working on his cd and I was starting to see less and less of him unfortunately. I also thought that I wasn’t going to see Ryan ever again because he was needed more and more at the academy and I was needed at the dance studio. The competition was coming up around the corner and I was starting to stress over it.

All my stress escaped me the day of the competition. But my mind became clouded and the only one who noticed was Mark.

It was about two hours until Mark and I had to hit the dance floor when he asked me, “What’s the matter? You seem distant.”

“Well,” I breathed out, “Ryan is cheating on me again.”

“How do you know?”

“I found a note with this number, it’s just another clue that leads to him cheating,” I answered.

“What are you going to do about him?”

“I don’t know yet. I also don’t know if he is actually cheating on me. I’m thinking about what I’m going to do.”

“Will you be ok to dance tonight?”

I looked at Mark eye to eye and confided, “I need to get him off my mind and right now I think this dance is going to be the only thing that could work.”

“Are you sure you’re ok to dance?”

“Yes I’m sure. Like I said I need to dance to get him off my mind.”

“Ok. So which good luck charms should I be looking for in the crowd?”

“Well Mich, Chris, Dan, and Tally said they were all coming, Nick and my family promised they would be there, Ryan said he was going to be there but supposedly he has to do something for the academy but I have a feeling he’s with another girl.”

I let Ryan slip my mind and I didn’t notice until after the competition that he wasn’t there. I just tried to dance my hardest and it paid off in the end because Mark and I won.

Our good luck charms rushed the dance floor when we were handed our trophies and as I counted the faces I realized that Ryan didn’t stay true to his word. I didn’t let it get to me because my friends took Mark and I out to celebrate our victory.

We went to one of the local clubs because our favorite DJ was there that night. He kept the party moving and I danced with Nick for most of the night until he had to go work on his cd. I was hoping the cd would be finished soon because Nick was working heavily on it and I wasn’t spending as much time as I wanted with him.

But that night, after Nick left, everything changed; almost everything that is.

Once Nick left, a tall muscular guy with blonde hair and blue eyes that looked like Nick started to dance with me. I didn’t know his name but I knew he had to be friends with Mark because they were having a long conversation and laughing about something earlier on.

But, let me tell you the story about the call that changed my destiny. Me and my friends went out just to end up in misery, for the first few days. I was about to go home from the club when there he was standing in front of me and said, “Hi. You were dancing with me earlier. I’m Mark’s friend Jasper. I noticed you’re leaving kind of early when the party has just begun.  Before you leave I have to say that I would like to get to know you better. I got a little place nearby. Wanna go?”

Oh I should’ve said, “No. Someone’s waiting for me.” But I said instead, “Sure. I’ll check it out. Let me tell my friends and make a quick call. I’ll be right back.”

“OK. I’ll be waiting at the front door. Take your time.” He flashed a cute and somewhat mysterious smile at me. I smirked back then walked toward my friends.

“I’m leaving now so I’m going to say good night.”

“You’re going home?” Crystal asked.

“This early? The party just started Kay,” Michelle asked.

“Yeah but I’m not going home.”

“Then where are you going?” Chris asked.

“I’m actually going over to Jasper’s place,” I answered calmly.

“You’re what?!” Mark almost screamed.

“I’m going to Jasper’s place,” I said matter-of-factly.

 “Are you sure you want to do this?” Dan asked.

“Yeah.”

“You don’t even know this guy Kayl. You only danced with him earlier. Are you sure this is a good idea?!” Chris said raising his voice a little.

“Chris,” I placed a hand on his shoulder, “Calm down. You’re starting to sound like Nick. When did you become his surrogate when he’s not here? Relax what’s the worst that can happen? We’re only going to talk.”

“What about Ryan?” Michelle asked.

I shrugged my shoulders, “He’s done it to me before. I figured I’ll let him have a taste of his own medicine.”

My friends stared at me in disbelieve. I think it was the first time I have seen them all speechless.

“I gotta go call Ryan and tell him we’re going out somewhere.” A shot of adrenaline rushed through my body as I dialed his number.

“Hello?”

“Hi it’s me. What’s up baby?”

“Kalie? Is that you? All I can hear is loud music and static.”

My friends were right. The party was really starting now and the music was getting louder and louder with every song that was played. Plus the reception in that club sucked.

“I’m sorry. Listen I’m gunna be late so don’t stay up and wait for me ok?”

“Where are you? Kay… I… want… you… home…” his words were mixed with static.

“Wait… wait say that again?” I held my hand over my open ear and listened for Ryan’s voice.

“Hello?” his voice had a hint of annoyance in it.

“You’re really dropping out. I think my battery must be low. Listen if you can hear me we’re going to a place nearby, alright? Gotta go,” my cell phone died before he could answer.

I shoved it in my pocket and looked for Jasper. He was waiting for me by the front door and smiled at me when I tapped his shoulder and said, “Alright. I’m ready to go now.”

It’s true. I spent the night with Jasper and it felt wrong but good at the same time. I guess I wanted to know how Ryan felt and the sensation I got felt weird but I kind of liked it.

Ryan found out about what I did the morning after when Jasper dropped me off. I didn’t know Ryan was watching when Jasper gave me a good bye kiss that turned out to be a make out session. I guess we should have done that inside the house instead of on the front steps. Oops.

Ryan confronted me about Jasper and I tried my hardest to lie about him but my boyfriend didn’t buy my story. So he packed his things and dumped me. It hurt a lot watching him walk out the door while he called someone named Jackie but I soon forgot about him when Jasper asked me out about two weeks later.

So a one night stand turned into a relationship, a very sexual relationship.