- Text Size +

Chapter 1 So What Was This Dream Baby/A Very Pleasant Surprise

                “So what was this dream baby?” Rich asked Heather as they sat down to breakfast.

                “It’s a long story if you want me to tell you the whole thing,” Heather answered before taking a bite of her toast.

                “We have more than enough time. I’m not going anywhere. Tell me the entire dream,” Rich replied.

                “So,” she started, “It starts off with Jess calling to tell me that her VIP tickets finally shows up in the mail, then I called Kelshie and we talked about the VIP tickets and from there I picked up Melina from the airport and we spent some time together before we both went down the shore to visit Kelshie and Jess.”

                She stopped to eat some more of her breakfast on her plate and Rich said, “It sounds like a normal dream so far. How was it the ‘most emotional, exciting, weird, kick as dream ever’?”

                “I haven’t gotten to that part yet. Like I said it’s a very long story and it gets better baby,” she continued. “We spend about a week down the shore and we have tons of fun then we come back up North and we start planning for this Backstreet Karaoke Challenge that is taking place at the VIP after party.”

                “Karaoke Challenge?”

                “Yes it was my dream. I don’t know what my mind was doing last night but in my dream Backstreet hosted a Karaoke Challenge of nothing but Backstreet songs and the VIP fans competed against each other.”

                “Ok. That actually doesn’t sound like a bad idea. I’ll mention it to the Boys. But continue with your story.”

                “So the Backstreet Buds and I decided to sing Unmistakable and we start practicing it and Steph actually comes up with choreography for us.”

                “You’re sister was even in your dream?”

                “Yes she was. Rose was in my dream too and so were all of our other friends. See in my dream you were assumed dead because of a drug and drinking problem.”

                Rich nodded, “Ok?”

                Heather nodded her head, “And in my dream you wrote me this death letter but I didn’t actually think you were dead even though you were gone for six years. This whole dream was like a soap opera. But anyway…”

                Heather continued to tell her boyfriend about the major details of her dream as they ate breakfast and later when they were cleaning up their plates and pans that were used to make the eggs and French toast.  Her retelling of her dream lasted even as she and Rich walked back up to her bed room to get changed.

                “So let me get this straight,” Rich sat down on the bed and Heather got clothes out of her dresser, “In your dream I had a drug and drinking problem and I was gone for six years. I came back and I finally confessed my love for you. But I didn’t know that you were dating both Nick Carter and I at the same time after Nick Carter fell in love with you after meeting you in the VIP experience. You couldn’t choose between the two of us and you ran away. Then you woke up.”

                “You got it Bud.”

                “Wow. That’s definitely some dream baby,” Rich said watching Heather change into a pair of jeans and a t-shirt.

                “It was indeed,” Heather replied as she tied up her long brown hair in a ponytail.

                “But I need to ask you something,” Rich looked up at Heather with his baby blue eyes and she could see something was bothering him.

                “What’s wrong honey?”

                “If this dream was true… and you did have to choose between Nick Carter and I… who would you choose?”

                She looked at Rich in her mirror, “That’s easy Bud.” She paused for dramatic effect, “I’d pick Nick in a heartbeat.”

                  Her boyfriend looked at her in total shock.

                “Oh Rich!” she sat down next to him and wrapped her arms around his neck, “Baby I was joking! I would obviously pick you.”

                “Are you sure? He is your favorite Backstreet Boy and for as long as I can remember you were always saying how sexy he is and how beautiful his voice is and not to mention how you might possibly give yourself to him if you ever met him in person.” Rich looked at her with a questioning look.

                “You have a good point there,” she nodded.

                “Oh gee thanks Violet I feel really loved right now.” Rich got up and started changing.

                “Baby I’m only kidding!” Heather chuckled. “Yes Nick Carter has been my celebrity crush since I first heard As Long As You Love Me but that’s all he is to me, a celebrity crush. You’re the love of my life and no one could ever replace you,” she got up and wrapped her arms around his waist before he pulled on a clean shirt.

                He looked over his shoulder at her, “Are you sure?”       

                “Yes I’m sure. You’re my one and only and have I mentioned that you are drop dead gorgeous!”

                She looked at Rich in the big stand up mirror. She loved his baby blue eyes and brown hair that he usually kept spiked up but at the moment it was messy from sleep. He was trim and muscular just the way Heather liked her guys. To sum up Rich, he was the guy of Heather’s dreams.

                “I am pretty good looking aren’t I?” he joked.

                Heather giggled and kissed his shoulder, “You are baby. And I don’t think I’ll find anyone else with a singing voice like yours.”

                “That’s true. I am the perfect package huh?” He turned around and smiled at his girlfriend as he placed her hands on his shoulders.

                She laughed, “You really are honey.”     

                He chuckled then pulled Heather closer. They kissed passionately and when they finished they looked into each other’s eyes for a few seconds.

                “Are you ready to head to the airport?” he asked. “I am.”

                “I am but I think you need a shirt first sweetie.”

                “What you don’t want me to show off in the airport?” he joked.

                “No because I don’t want other girls making eyes at my handsome, chiseled boyfriend,” she winked at him.

                A few minutes later Rich and Heather hopped in her CRV and headed toward the airport.

*MEAN WHILE IN FLORIDA*

****Kalie’s Point of View***

                The warm sunlight coming from the tour bus’s window hit my face and woke me up. I blinked awake and looked at Nick’s face. He was still sleeping and had a grin on his face which made me smile. I looked down at my left hand and watched the diamond sparkle in the sunlight.

                “I can’t believe this is really happening,” I whispered to myself.

                Just then Nick woke up and said as he yawned, “You can’t believe what’s happing babe?”

                “I can’t believe we’re engaged and my dreams are coming true with you,” I answered with a smile.

                He grinned sweetly back at me, “I’m glad they’re coming true with me. I just wish my proposal was a little more romantic. I was going to do it on stage last night but I chickened out and then I was going to propose backstage when you’re family was there but I chickened out there too. I didn’t exactly want to propose on a bunk bed in a moving tour bus.”

                I pushed myself closer to Nick’s lips and spoke over them, looking into his eyes, “I wouldn’t have wanted it any other way baby. It was perfect and totally unexpected. And it was very romantic. Just being held in your arms and feeling your heart beat, that’s the epitome of romance to me.”

                I kissed him and lingered over his lips for a few seconds. I opened my eyes first then when Nick opened his eyes he smiled widely at me.

                “When are you going to call your parents?” he asked as I was looking for my cell phone.

                “Right now,” I answered turning it on.

                I dialed my parents’ home number and heard it ring twice before my mom answered, “Good morning Smith residence.”

                “Good morning mom!”

                “Kalie! How are you sweetie?!”

                “I’m fantastic Mom! Did I wake you up?”

                “No honey your father and I have been up for a while now. What are you so happy about? You were never a morning person.”

                “Is Daddy there?”

                “Yes he is but you didn’t answer my question Kalie Marie.”

                “Can you put the speaker on so I can tell both of you the good news?”

                “Sure hold on one second.”

                She waited until her dad said, “Hey Kiddo! Mom told me you have some good news for us?”

                “Yes! I have the best news ever! Nick proposed last night!”

                Her mom screamed in delight and said, “Congratulations baby!”  

                Kalie could hear the smile in her dad’s voice when he replied, “I’m so happy for you Kiddo. We’ll have to celebrate when you get home.”

                “I have a feeling I’ll be celebrating for a long time Daddy. I’m going to call everyone else while we are on the way to New York.”

                “Ok Kalie,” Mom said, “Have a safe trip and tell Nick that we are happy for you both.”

                “Thanks Mom I will.”

                “We love you Kalie,” they both said.

                “I love you too.”

                The next person I called was my sister Kim, then my brother Kyle and lastly my twin brother Kasey. They were all ecstatic and surprised that Nick actually proposed when he was so against marriage after witnessing his parent’s divorce. But all in all they were extremely happy for me and were already anticipating the wedding.

                Next I called my best friend Michelle and was glad to hear she was with our other best friend Crystal.    

                “Hey Kayl!” Michelle answered excitedly. “You miss us already don’t ya after we saw each other last night,” she laughed.

                “Yes I do but I have really good news! Is Chris home?”

                “Yes he is and Crystal and Dan are here too,” Michelle answered.

                “Oh good that saves me a phone call because my cell is dying. Can you put me on speaker so I can tell you all the good news?”

                “Of course!” Michelle switched to speaker.

                “It’s Tally speaking! How is my Kayl?!” Crystal asked excitedly.

                “Yeah Kayl how is the bus ride to New York going?” Dan, Crystal’s husband asked.

                “It just got about 100 times better last night!” I answered excitedly.

                “Something really exciting happened last night right? Tell us Kayl before Mich has a fit,” Chris, Michelle’s husband, said.

                “Ok, ok I’ll tell you guys,” I paused for a second to put my phone on speaker so Nick could hear our best friends’ reactions. “Nick proposed last night!”

                There was silence on the other end of the line until our best friends said at the same time, “What did you just say?”

                Nick laughed then spoke into the phone, “Kalie said I proposed to her last night.”

                “No way!” Crystal and Michelle said in unison. “Oh my God Kalie!” Our best friends were in shock.

                “Wait you did say yes right?!” Michelle asked.

                We both laughed before I answered, “Of course I said yes!”

                “Congratulations!” our four best friends all screamed.

                “Thanks guys!” I laughed.

                “I can’t believe you finally popped the question Nick,” Chris said.

                “Well what can I say; Kalie is special to me and I want to spend the rest of my life with her. I found the perfect ring and I gathered my courage and asked her last night before we fell asleep,” Nick answered.

                “So Kalie tell us how he proposed,” Crystal said excitedly.

                “He and I crawled into the top bunk of the tour bus and as I was lying on his chest he pulled out the ring and asked if I would marry him and I obviously said yes,” I answered simply.

                “That sounds so cute!” Michelle and Crystal screamed.

                “It was,” I smiled at my fiancé.

                “We are all so happy for you!” Crystal said.

                “Thank you! I can’t wait to show you guys the ring when I see you next.”

                “It wouldn’t be too long,” Dan said. “You only have one more show to go then you’ll be coming home and knowing you, you’ll be starting the wedding plans once you are home.” 

                We all chuckled then I said, “We’ll see about that. We have to pick a date first. I hate to cut my conversation short but my cell is dying so I’ll talk to you guys later.”

                “Bye Kalie and Nick! We miss you!” our friends all said.

                “We miss you guys too!” my fiancé and I replied before hanging up.

                Just as I hung up Jenn the tour manager called out, “Rise and shine Backstreet and Backstreet Girls. Anyone hungry for breakfast?”

                “Where are we going?” AJ called back.

                “Cracker Barrel,” Jenn replied.

                “I’m up!” AJ got out of the bottom bunk and headed to the changing room. Rochelle followed laughing.

                “How long do we have until we get there?” Rochelle asked.

                “About ten minutes,” Jenn answered. “Kalie? Nick? You two up?”

                “Yes we are Jenn,” I answered. We’re just trying to figure out how to get down.”

                “Here babe, let me get down first. Then I’ll help you down,” Nick crawled over me then slowly climbed down. I followed and as I used the ladder Nick placed his hands on my waist to help me down. We quickly changed and decided that we would tell everyone our good news when we were sitting down for breakfast.

                We walked out of the tour bus hand in hand and stole a kiss before entering the Cracker Barrel.

                “Why are you too so giddy?” Rochelle asked us as we sat down at the table with the rest of the tour cast and crew from the other bus also Brian, Leighanne, Baylee, Howie Leigh and baby James.

                “You’ll find out in a little bit,” I answered as I sat next to her.

                After our orders were taken Nick spoke up, “Kalie and I have some good news for everyone.”

                Everyone looked at us as Nick took my hand and I smiled.

                He looked at me and smiled as he said, “I’m now engaged to the woman of my dreams.”

                “Oh my God congrats girlie!” Rochelle excitedly hugged me and the rest of the table said their congratulations although everyone was surprised that Nick actually proposed.

                “I think everyone’s more shocked that I changed my mind then actually excited for us baby,” he chuckled.

                “Nick don’t get us wrong we are all very excited for you,” Leighanne said.

                “It’s just that you were so set in your ways against marriage that this is a total shocker,” Brian finished for his wife. “It’s a pleasant surprise, a very pleasant surprise. And I wish you all the happiness in the world Frack.”

                “Thanks Brian.”

                “And Kalie,” Leighanne said, “You are now an official Backstreet Girl for life.”

                I squeezed Nick’s hand, “Thank you Leighanne.”

                Jenn raised her glass of orange juice, “Let’s make a toast to the exciting surprise of Nick and Kalie’s engagement!”

                Everyone else raised their glasses and said together, “To Nick and Kalie!”

                I smiled at Nick before I took a sip of my apple juice and he winked at me.