- Text Size +
Story Notes:

*Lyrics from "Last Night Last" by Lady Antebellum.

I probably should be going now

‘cause I’m not quite sure what to say

 

 

 

Nick was sure that anyone could heard the screaming coming from his house even though the first neighbor, at least the first house lived by real people and not what he thought were ghosts, was like a kilometer distant and deep trees deadened the noises. He knew this because in the past he had noisy party, with loud music, and no one really knew it had happened until he told them. 

How in the hell was possible that a tiny woman like the one in front of him could yell so shrilling and so highly ear damaging?  Not only she was screaming at the top of her lungs but, just like a scene from a bad soap opera, she flung in the kitchen and right there was throwing dishes against the wall. 

Was she being melodramatic? 

Oh, the answer could be only a yes! And he would have staked his life on that since all of this was caused by a little and meaningless misunderstanding. And as any other times, Amanda had taken the opportunity to turn that in another complaining about how much Nick preferred his best friend over her. 

“I bet you wouldn’t dare to say a thing like that at your precious Brian!” 

Just as he thought. Gosh, that was so unnerving! 

If there was something that Nick couldn’t understand about that girl, about his girlfriend, was this irrational hate towards Brian. There were times when Nick really believed that she was truly convinced that him and Brian were having a sordid liaison behind her back. 

Just as something like that could really happened! 

“You think that it’s a joke?” The bitter reply was underlined by a dish crashing within a inch from his face. Apparently, thinking about how ironic was a love story with Brian had provoked on his face a tiny smile which didn’t go unnoticed by the woman. 

“No, I think it’s a little bit absurd.” Nick said with a veil of irony in his words. He was standing just outside the room, leaning on the wooden doorframe and with his arms crossed over his chest. “Are you rehearsing for the lunatic and extremely jealous girlfriend for some show?” 

“Lunatic? Not only you’re treating me bad but you’re calling me names too?” 

“I think that you’re doing good on your own. And better than everyone else." 

“Oh, you think that you’re funny? I didn’t ask you the world, I just ask you to come with me to do some shopping!” 

Doing shopping with Amanda only meant that he would be there to pay while she was busy deciding between two absolute identical dresses, even though she would declare that there was a big difference between a blue dress and a ocean blue dress. 

That was the reason behind their, well her, argument. 

Nick had refused to go with her, stating that he wasn’t an ATM , and he wanted to go and hang out with Brian but as soon as the name left his lips, hell’s doors opened and let out the devil version of his girlfriend: Nick was sure to have witness red smoking coming from her ears and, if he looked closed enough, he could point out tiny horns within the long brown hair. 

Frankly, Nick was fed up to have to defend his friendship every time. 

“But no, his majesty had to see his best friend just as they hadn’t spent the last weeks together!” 

“Were you on the other side of the world? Because I remember clearly being with a woman who looked exactly like you! So, Amanda, please... stop being such a little spoiled brat!” 

“Oh yes, that’s what Brian told you about me!” 

“What the hell is this about? Do you listen to yourself when you talk?” 

“Well, just like half the time you don’t listen to yourself talking about Brian that and Brian here! What about when you told me that he can cook better than me?” 

Nick risked to gag with his own laughter. “You? Cook? But the only time you tried you almost burn down the kitchen!”

“And you must go around and tell everyone about it? As if Brian didn’t need any other reason to hate me or to think that I’m not the one for you.” 

Nick was torn between wanting to punch the walls, just to not listen anymore to Amanda’s whining and any pain would be much more bearable that than or to physically silencing her with any measure: he was slowly imploding with every bitter reply he bite back but his patience was on the last limit. 

“I’ll tell you this just one more time. Stop making Brian the cause between our fights. The problem is only between the two of us not between you and him.”

Amanda stopped herself and stood there with a plate still in her hand as her eyes grew bigger because of her own incredulity. She couldn’t really believe what Nick was saying, things were perfect between them if it wasn’t only for Brian. “Fights?”

“We fight six days out of seven even when we’re apart.” There was nothing left in Nick, he just couldn’t do anymore. He couldn’t keep with this and he wouldn’t want to jeopardy his friendship with Brian. “I think it’s better if we break up.” He said flatly.

The plate Amanda held fell from her grip and crashed on the floor, shattering in million pieces.  “What?” she choked out.

“You heard me. I can’t put up with your ridiculous accusation of preferring and, before you ask, I’m not cutting Brian out of my life.”

“So you chose friendship over love.” Amanda stated coldly.

“Love? How can you call this love? Love is supposed to be based on trust and, clearly, you don’t trust me. Worse, you don’t even try to know Brian, no matter how much you know he matters to me. You never gave him a chance and this... this is wearing us down. I won’t sink without trying to save myself. This isn’t love.”

“What is it then?”

“Not love. Call it whatever you but we’re better off alone. Before we end up hating each other and plotting torturing deaths.”

“You’re throwing from the windows months together just because B...”

Nick cut her off, his patience had just gone to hell. If Amanda couldn’t understand what the matter was he wouldn’t waste another breath. “I don’t want to hear a single word! It’s you and your stupid jealousy who ruined everything, stop blaming Brian!”

Nick turned on his heels and crossed all the hallway. He took his jacket and the keys of his car. The clatter of highs heels echoed behind his back, like a harpy searching for her next victim. “I don’t want to see you or any of your things when I’ll be back.” He said without even turning.

“So you basically throw me out without an explanation, a reason or something.”

“If you can’t understand then you’re dumber than I ever realized.”

Little Nicky...” she pleaded, her voice filled with the right amount of trembling and her eyes bigger and shining with tears ready to drop at her command. Never Nick had been able to resist at her mask of desolation and her puppy face.

Nick turned around to look at the girl just one last time. When he saw that expression on her face, any traces of doubt vanished. “Amanda, just stop. It’s over.”

So he opened the front door, ready to get out, but then he thought over it. “Amanda?”

She looked up at him with hope beaming over her like an aura. She knew Nick would never leave her.

“I hate that stupid nickname.” With a loud blow, Nick closed the door behind his back leaving a stunned Amanda wondering what she was supposed to do now.

His car was parked in the driveway and, after he got in, he just lowered the window and blasted the stereo loud. 

There was only a person who can comfort him and made him feel better. 

Brian.

And in that directions that he took off, the meter speeding high between the streets of Orlando. 

Chapter End Notes:

So, this story was just resting in my computer. ^__^