- Text Size +
Two Months Later

"Alright, Nance. I'm out," Erika called over her shoulder. "I'll see you tomorrow!"

"Bye, Puddin'. Get home safe!" Nancy called from the kitchen, the door propped open with a stool. Getting her jacket, and bag, she signaled to Marco who was sitting at a booth near the door she was leaving. He put down his phone, and watched her leave, and get into the car. Getting up, he followed her actions, and did the same.

Nancy walked out, a tray filled with burgers, and fries, and walked it over to a table, when the door chimed opened.

"Evening, gentlemen. Sit wherever you'd like," she smiled, as two men in suits walked in.

They walked to the booth on the opposite side, and took a seat. Nancy walked over, and took out her notepad.

"How ya folks doing tonight?"

"We'll do even better when you tell us where Erika is," the taller of the two men said.

Nancy's face went white. "I'm sorry. We don't have anyone working here by that name." She looked to the left, to notice Marco was already gone.

The smaller, stocky man reached into his pocket, and pulled out a picture of Erika. "Perhaps this will jog your memory." Holding it up, he stared at Nancy.

"No, I'm sorry. That young lady doesn't work here. Pretty though." Nancy felt her palms start to get sweaty. The taller man sitting closest to her reached over, and grabbed her wrist.

"We're not FUCKING here, lady. Where the fuck is Erika Abbatiello?"

"I DON'T KNOW ANYONE WITH THAT NAME!" Nancy pulled her arm away. "If you'll excuse me, I have another table to tend to."


~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Erika walked into Nick's living room, and sat down on the couch.

"How was work?" He handed her a diet Coke, and bowl of popcorn.

"Slow. Nancy sent love."

Nick walked around to the couch, and sat next to her, putting his chilled bottle of water on the end table next to her, and took a handful of popcorn.

"When did you guys get so close?" Erika asked.

"When I bought the house. I one night drunkenly stumbled upon it around three in the morning, and she was working the grave yard shift. After I threw up all over the counter, she cleaned it up, handed me a plate of bacon, then started to bang on pots and pans to teach me a lesson. She's really become like a mother to me."

"Me too," Erika said, softly.

"Kik, there's been something I've been wanting to ask you." She turned her attention to him, as she rested her arm on the arm rest. "Would you want me to try and find your mother? Or father?"

Erika couldn't believe what she was hearing. The thought had crossed her mind at least a million times in the last thirteen years. "Wow. Um."

"You don't need to answer right now. Think about it. And if you decide yes, just let me know, and I'll try to make it happen."

"Thank you," she said, wiping a stray tear away. "I've always wanted to, but never knew even how to try and begin."

"Well, we'll try together," Nick said, holding her hand.

"Maybe, we can start tomorrow?" Erika snuggled against him.

Kissing the top of her head, he put his arm around her. "You got it."

"Thanks, Nicky."

Nick rested his chin on the top of her head. "You're welcome Kiki."

"Nick," she said.

"Yeah?"

"I," she began, but was interrupted by her phone going off. Leaning over to the end table on her side, she picked it up. "Tracey," she told Nick. "Hey, Tray. What? WHAT?!" Jumping up, she slid her flip flops on. "Oh my God! No! I'll be right there!!" Hanging up, Nick got up. "We need to go to Santa Monica UCLA Medical Center NOW!!"

Nick grabbed his keys from the table, and the two raced to the car.