- Text Size +
Chapter 10
Two weeks later, I was so happy to be leaving the hospital. “Kevin, why didn’t AJ pick me up?” I asked, as he pushed the wheelchair down to the front lobby. “He would have, but he said he had some things he had to do.” Kevin said. I looked at Kevin odd. “Like what? What’s more important then pickin’ up your girlfriend?” “I really don’t know. He didn’t tell me.” He said. Some thing wasn’t right in the way he said that. Some thing was going on and I was going to find out one way or another. After we got into the car, I started asking questions. “Where’s Howie?” “He’s still in Florida.” “Brian?” “Spending time with his family.” He said, trying to keep a straight face. “Okay. How about Nick?” I think I trapped him on that one. “He’s with Lisa. They’ve been together everyday. Don’t worry she’s still been staying at AJ’s.” He said, eye balling me. Damn. I thought... “Where did you say AJ
was?” There was a long pause from Kevin. “Doing AJ things.” 

When we got to the house, it was to quiet. Kevin opened the front door for me. “Allison are you okay? Do you need anything?” He asked. “I would like a cold pop please.” I asked. “Sure. Be right back.” He said, going into the kitchen. I walked outside and sat down on the lawn couch. I went through my bag and grabbed a cigarette. ‘Wow, I almost forgot what that tasted like.’ I said to myself. “Should you be smoking?” Said the voice from behind. I almost jumped out of my skin. “Oh, sh...!” My eye’s got wide to see that it was AJ and not Kevin. AJ placed my pop on the table. He started walking over to me. I slowly got up and walked over to him. “Hi!” He whispered. “I’ve missed you.” I said. He was about to hug me. “Is it okay? Can I?” He asked. “The staples are out. I’m just still sore that’s all.” I said. He carefully wrapped his arms around me, and I wrapped mine around him. Then I started to cry. “I’ve
missed you too. I’m also sorry it’s been awhile, I’ve had things that I needed to do before you came home.” He said, wiping the tear from my eye. “I’m just glad that you’re here now.” I said. “There’s someone here to see you.” AJ said. I looked at him and raised a brow. “Who?” “They’re in the living room.” I headed into the house. “Now don’t be mad at me for who it is.” He said. I walked into the living room and stopped dead in my tracks. “Daddy?” He turned around and I ran into his arms. I just cried. “Baby girl, I’ve missed you so much.” Dad said. “When? How?” I asked. We all sat down and he told me. “Two weeks ago I got a call from a young man saying that he was dating my daughter. I didn’t believe him. Then he told me who he was. Then I really didn’t believe him. My daughter, dating a fellow Backstreet Boy. I thought it was a joke. Then he asked if we could meet. For me to take this prank seriously, I had to meet the mystery voice. So a week later I met Alex. He told me that you were in the hospital. He also told me that you had the transplant and the cost is going to be taken care of?” Dad said. I smiled. AJ grabbed my hand. My dad looked at me and saw how happy I was. “I haven’t seen her that happy in the last ten years.” Dad said. I looked at my dad. “How? I haven’t seen you in the last... what, twelve years?” I said in shock. “I know. Lisa called me after you graduated. She’s been sending me pictures and letters. Letting me know that you’re okay. Then when you disappeared to California she started to worry. Then the letters stopped. Until Alex called me.” Dad said. “What kind of pictures and letters.” I asked. “Well, the letters were just to say how you were doing.” He said. “Like what? Dating, music...” “She told you whom I had dated and the music I liked?” “So that’s how you knew about us!” AJ asked in shock. “That’s right.” He said smiling.

We sat there all quiet. I sat back and laid my head on AJ. “Son I want you to take great care of my little girl.” Dad said. “I will sir. I promise you that.” AJ said. My dad started to get up. “Oh, one more thing.” He looked at AJ. “Alex, I give you my blessing.” He said. “Thank you sir.” AJ said. “Call me dad.” He said. My face dropped. “Daddy?” I got up and followed him to the door. “Are you saying...?” He turned and put his hands on my arms. AJ stood in the hall behind me. “Sweetie. He makes you happy. You make him happy. If he didn’t love you so much, he wouldn’t have called me and flown all the way to Indiana to talk to me. I want you to be happy.” He said. I smiled.

‘I am happy for the first time in a long time.’ I said to myself. “About the photos she sent. I never see you smiling. Out of all the photos, you’re smiling in less then half of them. Even this Mike guy didn’t make you happy. In one of the letters Lisa sent me. She had told me that you have had the biggest crush on this boy for the longest time. But the only problem was that, the only way for you to see him was at a live show.” Dad started. “But how did you know which boy?” I asked. “She sent photos of him with his name on each of them.” He said. “But the show?” I asked. “I was at the show you were at.” “What?” “I was to meet Lisa there and give her the tickets. But...” I cut him off. “I was with her. That’s why she said she lost the tickets.” I said. “But you still got to meet him.” He smiled. I got quiet. “I did, didn’t I?” I whispered. I gave him a hug. “Thank you, Daddy.” I said. “You’re welcome. Well I should get going. It was good to see you.” He told me. “If you need anything you call me. Okay?” He said. “Okay. I love you, dad!” I said. “I love you too.” He said walking out to the cab. “Don’t forget!” He said. I nodded my head. AJ wrapped his arms around me. I started to cry as I waved good-bye.

AJ and I walked back into the house. Then I turned around and faced him. I leaned in and passionately kissed him. “What was that for?” He asked. “That I love you so much and want to thank you.” I said. “I love you too. I told you that I would do anything for you.” He said.