- Text Size +
Faithfully
Chapter 24
By Dottie
Copyright 2016

I’m torn between wanting to duck my head in shame and jump up screaming at the top of my lungs. I’ve sat here and listened to Donnie’s lawyer talk about the ridicule and violence he’s been subjected to being in jail. I’ve listened to his family talk about how he shouldn’t have to spend any more time locked up. According to them he was wrongly convicted and he shouldn’t be punished.

Nick is holding my left hand, Hanna Jo my right. AJ is beside her, along with Kevin, Howie and Brian behind us. I can feel the anger racing through my veins. I’m waiting, biding my time because when his mother finishes speaking, it’s my turn. Donnie doesn’t know we’re here. He’s had his back to us the entire time. A sadistic part of me can’t wait to see the look on his face when I walk to the podium to speak…and at the same time I’m petrified.

When the judge asks if anyone else wants to speak, Thad gets up. Once he’s at the podium and starts to speak, my resolve hardens. Every word hits home with me. “Your honor, my name is Thadeus Westcott. I was part of the prosecution team that investigated Mr. Wahlberg and his family and associates. Before anyone else speaks, I think it’s necessary for me to recap the circumstances that brought us to this hearing.” The judge nods slowly.

Thad opens a folder on the podium and says, “Over a year ago I started working with a young lady to bring to justice a group of men using a bank as a cover for money laundering and pandering. She was forced to make despicable choices in order to survive. Her boss had sold her ‘services’ to several clients at the bank, including Mr. Wahlberg’s brother Paul.”

I lower my head in shame. Nick leans closer to me and kisses my temple. I sigh as Thad continues. “Even though she never had sexual intercourse with any of these men, she was repeatedly violated by them. It took over six months to gather all the evidence we needed, and with her help, along with the board of directors of the bank, over half a dozen men have been brought to justice.”

He clears his throat and glances at me. I try to smile, nodding my encouragement for him to continue. “At the time, Mr. Wahlberg’s brother got off with a slap on the wrist because of his family’s name. When he was released, he tracked down our witness and attacked her. At the time, she was saved by Mr. Wahlberg himself, but that was only because he wanted her for himself.”

I see Donnie’s back stiffen. He starts to turn around, but Thad’s next words stop him cold. “But our witness didn’t want anything to do with him. At the time she had fallen in love and was trying to start a new life. But Mr. Wahlberg wouldn’t let things go. Even though he had been arrested and charged with evading child support for his three illegitimate children, he was also charged with stalking and bribery. Part of the conditions of his probation then was to steer clear of our witness and her fiancé. He didn’t.”

I feel a tear fall down my face. I lean closer to Nick and he squeezes my hand. Thad clears his throat. “After our witness and her husband were married, their friends were kidnapped and held hostage to ensure Mr. Wahlberg could get his revenge. On their wedding night, he repeatedly raped our witness as well as having her husband beaten until he almost died.”

Nick lets go of my hand and pulls me against his chest. I bite my lip to remain quiet as Thad continues softly. “Both the witness and her husband pressed charges, charges which Mr. Wahlberg has been found guilty of. The purpose of today’s hearing is to sentence him. Our witness…and her husband…are here today and would like to speak.”

I lift my eyes to watch Donnie’s head swivel around. When his eyes lock on mine, I can see the rage burning in them. No shame…no regret. Just anger and hatred. I barely hear Thad say, “Your honor, Mr. Nick Carter would like to speak first.”

Nick gives me a tight squeeze before standing and approaching the podium. When he gets there, he clears his throat and in a shaky voice, he says, “Your honor, what happened to me isn’t where the focus should lie today. This…man…his sentence should be based on one thing and one thing alone…what he did to my wife. I’m not here to dwell on it…I came because Jessi wanted me to…there’s one thing we both want to make sure Donnie understands.” He turns his gaze to Donnie. “You didn’t win. You will never win because I love Jessi and she loves me.”

I can see Donnie’s body is taut with rage. I turn my eyes to Nick as he walks away from the podium. When he sits beside me, I wind my arms around his neck and whisper, “I do love you…SO much.”

I barely hear Hanna Jo and AJ as they speak. Denise sent a written statement, which Thad read, choosing to stay at the hotel with the babies. Finally, Thad says, “Your honor, there’s only one person left that wants to speak. Jessica Carter.”

When I get to the podium Thad gives my hand a gentle squeeze. I look at the judge and say, “Your honor, thank you for letting me speak.”

The judge nods and says, “Mrs. Carter, you know that the sentencing has already been decided so what you say now will really have no bearing on that. But I do want to say, on behalf of the court, we appreciate the courage you must have coming here to speak. Please, take your time.”

I sigh quietly. Lifting my gaze, I lock eyes with Donnie. Gripping the podium tightly, I say, “When I was seventeen I thought you were the greatest man in the world. When I was eighteen I realized you were like every other guy I had ever known. When I saw you again last year on that tour I realized that you were simply evil. You tried to play me but it didn’t work…partly because I had fallen in love with Nick, but also because even when you were trying to be nice, you weren’t. You were arrogant and conceited...and I hated it.”

I take a deep breath before continuing. “On my wedding night, you raped me. You knew I’d never willingly sleep with you and you decided that it didn’t matter if I wanted it or not. You hurt me…you degraded me…you made me feel disgusting and dirty. But that isn’t the worst part of it.” His eyes never leave mine. I whisper, “You almost killed Nick. You almost killed the only man I’ve ever really loved and the only man that ever loved me.” I feel tears start to roll down my face. “I came here today so you’d know you didn’t win…you didn’t break us.” After a brief pause, I say, “You could NEVER do it because you don’t know what love really is. Love forgives…love comforts…love lives even when the sadness is so overwhelming it feels like you’re drowning.” I sniffle loudly. “You deserve to spend the rest of your life rotting in a cesspool because that’s the kind of human being you are. But no matter what happens, whether you walk out of here a free man now or twenty-five years from now you will NEVER beat me…you’ll never beat Nick and I because what we have is true love.”

After I get to my seat, the judge looks at Donnie. “We’ve heard statements from your family and from your victims. Is there anything you’d care to say for yourself before we proceed?”

He nods and stands up. “Yes, I would like to say something.” He turns his gaze to me and says, “You asked for it.”


It took quite a bit to get Nick and AJ under control. Finally the judge kicked them both out so he could hand down his judgment. I can’t tell you exactly what he said, but in a nutshell, Donnie’s spending the next thirty years behind bars. His mother nearly fainted. I wanted to dance in the aisles. But I settled for running from the courtroom and straight into Nick’s arms.

After that, the boys had their interview with Entertainment Tonight. After a lengthy discussion, I convinced them to lay it all on the line. What Donnie was convicted of is a matter of public record. Nothing will change the fact that he raped me, but maybe my story can help other’s come forward to put their own attackers behind bars.

Late that night, Nick is holding me while I feed Haley Jo. It’s like we can’t get close enough to each other. I snuggle against his chest as she nurses. Tears fill my eyes when he starts to sing ‘Never Gone’. When his voice tapers off to a whisper, I shiver and say, “I’ve missed this.”

He kisses my forehead. “Me too Baby. Me too.”
Chapter End Notes:
Let me know! :)