- Text Size +
Author's Chapter Notes:
Hey y'all! Here's the long-awaited second chapter. May be a bit of a wait for chapter three though-lol. Enjoy!

Disclaimer: Only own story idea. Kevin & his family own themselves, as does Kristin. Song is Song For Dad by Keith Urban. Thank-you.

Dedication: To Ashee - BOOM!!!!!
The older I get
The more I can see
How much he loved my mother and my brothers and me
And he did the best that he could
And I only hope when I have my own family
That everyday I see
A little more of my father in me

Kevin stood watching wistfully as two young boys, and a young girl played football with their father at the park. He'd gone to the park to take a walk, and was now standing there watching the happy family play. Just watching them made him think of all the times him and his brothers had played football with their father.

"Man, I miss those days," he sighed to himself. "Everything was perfect then. Everybody was here and having fun."

He smirked, as he watched the father scoop the youngest boy up and flip him over his shoulder playfully.

"I wish I could go back to those days," he thought to himself. "Carefree and fun. And Dad was there to make everything okay."

Flashback.....

Kevin was sitting outside on the front step of their home. He was waiting for his Dad to get home from work, so that they could go toss the football around as promised.

He sat there for quite a while, listening to the wind rustle in the trees. He sniffed, taking in a whiff of the delicious home-baked cookies his Mom was baking in the kitchen - she'd opened the window, seeing as it was such a nice day out.

The door behind him opened then. "Would you like a cookie, Boo?"

Kevin turned around and grinned. "Please Mommy," he replied.

Ann smiled down at her youngest son - she knew that before too long, her little six-year-old baby would be a grown man and have babies of his own. She was trying to enjoy her sons' childhoods while they lasted.

"Well, it's a good thing I brought some out with me then, isn't it?" Ann said, sitting down next to him. She'd left Tim to watch the cookies - he was to call her when the timer beeped.

Kevin crawled into his mother's lap, and eagerly took the cookies she produced from her apron pocket.

"Thank-you, Mommy." Kevin sat there in her lap, happily eating his cookies. "When will Daddy be home?"

"Soon, Baby," Ann smiled, smoothing his hair down some. "He'll be home soon, and then you boys will be off to the park to play."

Kevin grinned. As a treat for behaving nicely all week, they were driving to the park to play - which was a little ways away.

"Mom! It's beepin'!" Tim called from inside the house.

"I'm coming, Honey!" Ann called back. She kissed Kevin's head, then gently slid him off her lap. "Don't wander far if you decide to go play, okay Boo?"

"Okay, Mommy," Kevin nodded, munching away on his last cookie.

Ann headed back inside, leaving Kevin to sit on the front step all by himself once more.

Kevin had just finished licking his fingers and wiping his hands on his blue jeans, when his father's car finally pulled up into the drive-way.

"DADDY!!!!" Kevin yelled excitedly, jumping up and running for the car.

Gerald smiled as he spotted his youngest son running towards him at full speed - a huge grin upon his small face.

Kevin squealed as his father scooped him up and swung him about playfully. "We goin' now?"

Gerald laughed. "Just let me go change and say hello to your mother, son."

Kevin hugged his father tight, as he was carried inside. Once inside, he was set upon the floor.

"Go get your ball," Gerald told him, giving his bottom a love pat to get him going.

Kevin giggled and ran off to get his things, calling out to his brothers as he did so.

"TIM!!! JERALD!!! DADDY'S HOME!!!"

Gerald shook his head, still amused, as he entered the kitchen and greeted his lovely wife.

Ann smiled warmly at him. "He's been sitting out on the front step since he got home from school at lunch."

"That explains the toy cars I had to step over," Gerald chuckled.

Ann nodded. "I'm glad they only had a half day of school. And I'm really glad you got off work early. Why, it's only two o'clock."

Gerald grinned. "I know. Told them I had to get home to play ball with my sons."

"Go change," Ann told him. "Don't make them wait anymore."

Gerald kissed her softly, then left the room, a smile upon his face.

~~~~~

A short while later Gerald and the boys were at the much anticipated park. There was a large playground and plenty of open space to play football or soccer in. There was also a basketball court and a baseball diamond.

The boys quickly piled out of the car, once at the park - all waiting by the car obediently, before heading across the parking lot.

Gerald smiled as he watched his sons each grab something to carry, and hurry off across the parking lot - all but Kevin, who still stood by his father's side waiting.

"Let's go," Gerald told the small boy, taking hold of his little hand.

Kevin giggled, and trotted alongside his father, carrying the football.

Once they'd set their things down in shady location, the boys quickly took off to play, while Gerald sat on a nearby bench to watch for now.

Kevin was thrilled his brothers were letting him play pirates with them! It wasn't often they let him play too, because he was the baby and they didn't want to end up in trouble for hurting him.

"C'mon Kevin!" Jerald called. "You gotta swab the decks!"

"Okay!" Kevin exclaimed enthusiastically. He didn't care nor realize they'd given him the crap job.

Tim laughed, then climbed up onto the monkey bars to be the look-out.

The game went on for a while, all being fine, until they got a bit rough. The older two were shoving, and Kevin ended up flying down the slide head first, landing on his hands at the bottom, and doing a complete flip landing on his backside - hard.

Gerald jumped up and ran for his son, as Kevin let loose with a loud wail.

Tim and Jerald stood at the top of the slide looking sheepish. They hadn't intended for their little brother to get hurt.

Gerald scooped Kevin up, after checking him over quickly. "Let's go get your hands cleaned up, okay?"

Kevin nodded through his tears, burying his face into his father as he cried.

Gerald carried Kevin into the nearby bathroom, and sat him gently upon the counter. He deftly cleaned his little hands up with soap and water, then kissed his head and stood him upon the floor.

"Anything else hurt?" He asked, concerned.

Kevin rubbed his bottom, wincing slightly.

"Here, let Daddy see," Gerald told him. He checked his son's bottom, and shook his head. "Well, it might bruise - but you'll live."

Kevin turned around after his pants had been pulled back up, and gave his Dad the biggest hug ever!

"You feel well enough to play some ball? Or would you rather go home?" Gerald queried.

"Ball!" Kevin exclaimed, his tear-stained face lighting up.

Gerald chuckled. "Alright, son. Let's go get the football."

Kevin grabbed his father's hand and dragged him out of the bathroom. "TIM!!! JERALD!!! COME PLAY!!!"

The older boys came running over. "Play what?" They wanted to know.

Kevin just smiled as he ran over to their things and picked up his precious football.

"Alright!" Jerald exclaimed.

"Yeah!" Tim whooped.

Gerald smirked, as he watched the boys cheer. He didn't get to toss the ball around with them as often as he'd like, but when he did, they always had a great time.

As Kevin came over, Jerald met him half way. "You're okay, right?"

Kevin nodded. "Uh-huh."

"We didn't mean to shove yah down the slide, Buddy," Jerald told him, ruffling his hair.

Kevin giggled and ducked away. "I know."

"Guys! C'mon!" Tim called. "Let's play already!"

The four of them began to toss the football around, having a grand old time, until it was too dark to play anymore. It was also just about Kevin's bedtime.

End of Flashback....

Kevin blinked back the tears that threatened to fall. Boy, did he ever miss his Dad. He'd never forget that day at the park either - it was one of his earliest memories, and definitely one of his most favourites.

He watched, smiling as he saw the three kids tackling their father to the ground, full of laughter.

"That'll be me some day," Kevin thought quietly to himself. "Some day soon, I hope."

He glanced one last time at the happy family, then turned and headed for his car to go home - feeling better about things then he had before.