- Text Size +
Author's Chapter Notes:
Okay, no one fall over in shock. That is my job.

To all those who messaged me and requested this story, thank-you. I truly appreciated it. Enjoy!

Disclaimer: Only own story idea. Richardson family owns themselves and Song For Dad is by Keith Urban. Thank-you!

The older I get
The more I can see
How much he loved my mother and my brothers and me
And he did the best that he could
And I only hope when I have my own family
That everyday I see
A little more of my father in me


Kevin was anxiously pacing his living room, worried about Kristin. She had been sick recently and had gone to the doctors for a check-up. He hoped everything was okay, as he wasn’t sure he would be able to handle it, if there was something wrong. He figured it was probably just the flu or something simple like that, as what else could possibly make you throw up?

“Please God, let everything be okay,” he prayed softly, as he continued to wear a hole in the floor. “I still need her, more than you could ever know.”

He glanced at the clock nervously, wondering what was taking her so long to get home. He would have gone with her, but he’d had previous plans and couldn’t take her to the appointment. He about jumped out of his skin, when he heard the front door open and close; his name being called a moment later.

“Kevin?”

“In here!” Kevin called back, as he turned to go to the front hall.

Kristin met him in the living room entrance. “How long have you been home?”

“A half hour or so,” Kevin replied, before demanding, “What did the doctor say? Is it the flu?”

“It’s not the flu,” Kristin answered casually.

“It’s worse than the flu?” Kevin fretted, his eyes showing his worry.

Kristin gave a soft laugh as she squeezed his hands. “Kevin, relax. It’s nothing bad, I promise.”

“Then what’s been making you sick?” Kevin wanted to know, not figuring the obvious. “You’ve been throwing up for over a week now!”

“Remember when you said you were quitting the Backstreet Boys because you wanted to start a family?”

Kevin nodded, raising his eyebrows. She couldn’t be….she wasn’t…

“Is now a good time to start one?” Kristin asked with a smile.

“You’re…you’re…” Kevin trailed off, his eyes wide.

“Pregnant,” Kristin finished for him. “Yes. We’re having a baby!”

Kevin embraced her tightly as tears of joy began streaming down his face. He was so happy! He’d been wanting a family of his own for so long and now it was finally happening!

“I love you Kristin Kay Richardson,” he murmured before kissing her passionately.

“I love you Kevin Scott Richardson,” Kristin laughed after the kiss, as he picked her up and spun her around. “But don’t go making the baby dizzy.”

Kevin laughed as he set her down and kissed her once more. He couldn’t wait to tell everyone else the news! His mother would be thrilled!

~~~~~

Today was the day. Today he was going to become a father. Kristin had gone into labor earlier and he was a panicked mess. He had run outside to the car with her bags and started driving down the driveway, until he had remember she wasn’t even in the car yet! He had quickly backed up and helped her into the car, apologizing profusely, as she gave a small laugh and shook her head at him. Granted, she had been between contractions at that moment – now she was screaming and sweating as she tried to push their little bundle of joy out of her body.

“GET HIM OUT!” Kristin screamed, as she pushed hard. “GET OUT! GET OUT! GET OUT!”

“Breathe,” Kevin reminded her, as she squeezed his hand with a grip he’d not been aware she had. “Focus on the sonogram and breathe.”

“THIS IS ALL YOUR FAULT RICHARDSON!” Kristin screamed, pushing once more, as Kevin cringed slightly.

“We have a head!” The doctor announced. “You’re doing great Kristin. We just need another big push or two and your baby will be with us.”

Kristin let out a primal growl as she gave another long, hard push, falling back onto the pillows afterward.

“We have a boy!” The doctor exclaimed, as he carefully caught the baby. He held him up to show the new parents. “We’ll get him cleaned up and to you quickly.”

Kevin felt himself start to cry, when he heard it was a boy. He would have been happy either way, but there was just something extra special about having a son. Part of him had hoped for a boy, as he wanted to do all the things with his son that he had done with his father. True he could have done most of the stuff with a girl too, and he would not have loved her any less, but his heart had secretly been set on a son.

Kristin breathed a sigh of relief, as she squeezed Kevin’s hand. “We did it, Daddy.”

“You did all the work,” Kevin replied as he leaned down to kiss her amidst tears. “I love you so much.”

“Make way for baby Richardson,” the nurse stated, as she handed the child over to its mother. “Do you have a name for him yet?”

Kevin nodded, though his gaze remained on the tiny baby in his wife’s arms. “Mason. His name is Mason.”

The nurse nodded, as she walked away to take care of her other responsibilities.

Kristin held their son for a little while, counting his fingers and toes, before glancing at her husband with a small smile.

“Would you like to hold him Daddy?” Kristin offered, knowing how badly her husband must want to hold their newborn child.

Kevin nodded wordlessly as he carefully took the baby from Kristin and held him close. He gazed down at him lovingly, knowing that the little boy in his arms had already stolen his heart for good. He briefly wondered if this is what his father had felt like each time he had held him and his brother for the very first time. “Hello Mason….I’m your….your Daddy….”br />