- Text Size +
Author's Chapter Notes:
Okay...Since I've given up on Remember the Music (for the time being), I've started this story. It may not be what you've read before and you may be hesitant about reading it, but try it anyway. I'd love any and all feedback! Enjoy!
There are places in the world that are held sacred by different people. Some are religiously sacred, others because they are imbued with special meaning for a select few. No matter what this place is or where it stands, there is a fantastical quality to it for those who venerate it. A house, a statue, a tomb, a tree, even a natural wonder become sacrosanct when anyone attaches such a meaning to them.

Amidst the forests of central Maine, a group of Victorian-era structures have stood for two centuries, unchanged. Thousands have lived in, wept in, studied in, and walked in their hallowed halls. Loves were found, lives were unalterably affected, and, in one memorable case, life was lost. They say the young man’s ghost wanders the halls, still mourning the failures that caused him to take his own life.

Books are in abundance throughout the rooms and shelves. They are held reverently and special care is given to first editions and ancient leather-bound texts. These volumes have seen the passage of men and women from all walks of life with varying interests, and they will continue to observe the annual transitions.

In such a place, conflict is difficult to find as everyone is on a quest for the same goal. Men and women work together to discover the meanings of their very lives within the pages of enormous texts and, upon their departure from this venerated corner of the world, go on to find their niches in society.

Even in the most sacred of spaces, though, darkness still creeps. It hides in the eaves of these majestic buildings, stalks in the leafy woods, and lurks within the blackest of hearts. It waits. It watches. And when they least expect it, it will pounce.

But, for now, it stays in the shadows.

This is a sacred place for seekers of truth. This is a resting-place for the dreamers. This is a haven for the explorers.

This is Hensley.