- Text Size +
Author's Chapter Notes:
Hello again! First off, this story is NOT all romance. I know it might seem that way, but here, at the beginning, it's just filler. The romance won't be the main story after the first five or six chapters...I promise! It's gonna be good and gory (I hope!) Enjoy!
The grapevine was in full swing at Hensley. As professors returned to take up their teaching positions for the new school year, the buzz grew, and rumors spread like wildfire. Everyone spoke of the arrival of Brian Littrell excitedly. The prince of the music world had retired and was to take up a professorial position at the college, and speculation was intense. Some believed he wanted to play at being a teacher, others believed he was coming to Maine to hide a drug addiction. Others just speculated that it was a woman that had driven him to leave the stage. That the break-up with his fiancée had depressed him, and he was using the teaching position as a way of hiding from it all.

And all of that was such bullshit, Isabella Flynn decided as she hurried through the parking lot towards the science building. Anyone who remotely knew Brian Thomas Littrell would know that he loved Hensley. His loyalty was admirable and was probably the key factor in bringing him back. He’d always told her that he wanted to teach at Hensley one day, but she’d never really expected it to happen. Then again, she didn’t know him anymore, and she couldn’t say that she really knew what was going on in his head.

There had been a time when she’d known him inside out. Then, she’d broken his heart. Grounded it to bits and pieces and left him.

She still believed it was the best thing she’d ever done for another person.

Isabella swiped her ID card at the entrance to the building and rushed towards her office. Unlocking it, she practically threw her bag into a chair and, pulling on her lab gear, made her way towards her beloved lab.

The laboratory was her pride and joy. It was her home more nights of the week than not, and she loved her work. She’d fought long and hard for the brand spanking new equipment and used it to the best of its ability.

Her rush to the lab came to a screeching halt when she pushed open the door and found him already seated at a lab table.

“Damn it! How much today?” she asked, making her way over to him.

Dr. Lucas McCall grinned. “If I said an hour, I’d be lying. Don’t worry, it’s not too bad. Only fifteen minutes.”

“You know, it’s your fault I was late,” she muttered as she pulled out her laptop and found her research files. She leaned over his shoulder to see the results he’d pulled up and was currently working on. “Find the cure for cancer yet?”

“Nope. And it wasn’t my fault you couldn’t get your adorable ass out of bed.” He turned his head slightly to brush his lips over hers. “It’s probably my fault for not waking you up, though. You just looked so peaceful. It must’ve been really good, huh?”

She rolled her eyes. “In your dreams. So there was no change?”

He shook his head. “Sorry, Flynn. It’s been three weeks and the only growth I’m seeing is in group A, sections 22 and 34. We have to add compound 51-C to group B today, too. Maybe it’ll do something.”

“Maybe. Or maybe it’s just a dead end.” Isabella scooted back to her workstation and got to work on her notes. Or tried to. For some reason, Brian’s face kept popping up in her head, and she was beginning to get really annoyed. She hadn’t seen the man in years, and he shouldn’t be allowed to do this to her.

When she sighed for the fifth time in two minutes, Lucas glanced over his shoulder at her. He’d known something was off the instant she’d walked in the door. Being her colleague, friend, and lover had given him great insight into the workings of Isabella Flynn, and, at the moment, something was bothering her.

“So, are you going to tell me what’s bugging you? Besides the project,” he added and waited until she met his eyes.

She bit her lip as she wondered how much she could tell her current lover about her old love. “Have you noticed how chatty and excited our fellow professors are?” she finally asked. “I mean, they usually come back to campus all annoyed about having to leave their research projects and teach. This year, though, they are super excited and bubbly. It’s starting to get on my nerves. Fitzgerald actually asked me how I was yesterday, and I didn’t have to hold a gun to his head either,” she added, thinking of the grouchy, elderly man in the chemistry department who usually didn’t have anything to say to her.

“Well, I don’t quite know,” Lucas began, judging how he could play her. “I mean, maybe they are excited to be back.”

She snorted. “And pigs fly.”

“Or,” he continued, “they are all really anxious to see what happens when music’s golden boy, Brian Littrell, shows up to teach here.” When her shoulders stiffened, he thought, Bingo. “Izzie, I’ve heard enough around here to know that you and Brian were quite the couple when you both were here as students. Is it bugging you that he’s going to be around?”

She was silent for a moment. “No. It’s not even a blip on the radar except for when I see the annoying camera crews staked around outside the gates to campus,” she replied. “Good thing we have those gates around all of campus or else we’d have paparazzi stalking through campus.”

“So it doesn’t bother you at all?”

Isabella turned to him and took his hand in hers. “It was ten years ago, and we’ve both moved on. His life doesn’t concern me and who I’m with. It shouldn’t bother you either.”

He nodded and squeezed her hand. “I don’t like seeing you sad, you know.”

“The only thing I’m sad about is the fact that my damn fungus is not growing the way I need it to!” she muttered, frustrated, and desperately tried to change the subject. “I think I’ll go ahead and start on adding the solution to group B.”

And, just like that, he knew the discussion had been tabled. He had no doubt that she was avoiding the Brian issue, but he knew her well enough to know it would irk her if he pressed for more. He wasn’t jealous, not really. He had his Izzie, didn’t he?

Besides, Brian would be in the music building. Their paths would rarely cross, and life would go on.

***


Later, they sat cross-legged on the floor in her office and ate giant sandwiches companionably.

“Okay, points for you,” Isabella conceded. “Not only did you beat me here this morning, you managed to make really great sandwiches for us, too.”

Lucas grinned. “When are you going to start to see, Izzie Flynn, that I am a great catch?” His green eyes sparkled behind the wire-rimmed glasses he wore.

“Well, when you’ve got a head big as the moon, I don’t think I can,” she joked. In truth, she really enjoyed being with Lucas. He understood her and was there whenever she needed him to be. However, for months now, he’d been dropping subtle hints about making their relationship a lasting one. The thought of marriage, she had to admit to herself, was terrifying, and she wasn’t sure she was ready. But she knew she couldn’t hold him off for too long either.

Popping open a can of lemonade for her, Lucas passed it to her and bumped his knee against hers playfully. “So, excited about the annual dinner on Friday night?”

“Ugh. I still don’t understand why all the professors have to get dressed up and go to the country club every year. Why doesn’t President Turner get rid of this silly tradition?” she moaned, thinking of the formal gala the college held at the start of each fall term for the professors. “I already know the other professors. There’s no need to do it every time.”

“Well, this time, there’s a couple new profs, so it’s probably nice for them,” he pointed out. “Just because you’ve done it for three years, doesn’t mean that other people haven’t. Besides, it’ll be fun if we’re together. Dress nice, and we’ll dance and dance and not mingle with the others.”

She smiled at the thought. “Maybe. So, where do you want me to treat you to dinner? After all, counting this morning, you’ve gotten here first eighteen times to my eleven.”

Lucas grinned, thinking of the monthly contest they had to see who could arrive at work before the other. Since she’d lost this month, it was her turn to treat him to a fancy dinner. “How about Christophe’s? It’s fancy, and we haven’t been there since last year.”

“Expensive, isn’t it?” She winced.

“Well, you shouldn’t have slept so late all the time.”

“Fine. You win.” He’d lost the last three months running anyway, so it was only fair. “When do you want to go?”

He tugged on a curl that had fallen out of her messy bun. “I’m free next Wednesday.”

“’Kay. It’s a date,” she added, moving away to find her planner and jot it down. “So, guess what I saw on the way here this morning?”

Lucas gathered up the wrappers and soda cans and tossed them out. “You had time to see something while you sped down 313? It must have been pretty important.”

“Ha ha. Sarcasm is so not appreciated,” she replied, rolling her eyes. “Anyway, the old Bakerfield house had a Sold sign at the front gate.”

“Really?” He was as surprised as she that the majestic home that stood a half-mile from the campus had finally been bought. As gorgeous as it was, no one had ever wanted to buy such a large home that probably required a lot of renovation. But, he knew it had been a dream of Isabella’s to buy the rambling manor with its beautiful towers and enormous solarium. “I’m sorry. I know you wanted to buy it eventually.”

She had. But, “It’s okay. I mean, what would I have done with such a huge place, right? Besides, it was sort of a fairy tale dream for me, so it doesn’t really matter.”

“Aww, don’t you believe in fairy tale endings, Izzie?”

Isabella shrugged. “All that talk about destiny and fate is for dreamers. In reality, there’s no such thing as the happy ever after, sail into the sunset, fairy tale ending.”

“Well, well. More famous last words I have yet to hear.”

At the oh-so-familiar voice with its Southern drawl, her heart leapt into her throat and lodged there as she slowly turned to face the man she hadn’t seen in years. The last man she’d wanted to see. Ever.

“Brian.”