- Text Size +

Chapter 15: On the Hunt

Meanwhile with Amanda, Allison, and Hilary


"So what's the plan?" Amanda asked Allison, who was staring of into the distance. They were standing outside of a movie studio, where Mika Boorem, Jamie-Lynn Spears, and Joanna Levesque were shooting a movie together.

"Why are you asking me?" Allison asked quickly. Amanda shrugged, "Well...." Allison began, "I'm thinking about just walking up to them and spilling our guts." She said taking a breath. The other girls looked at her blankly.

"That’s the plan?" Hilary asked frowning. Allison sighed and rested her hands on her hips, while she tapped her foot against the ground.

"Yup, that's the plan!"

"Of course it is," Hilary and Amanda said in unison. The girls sighed and slowly entered the building.


Meanwhile with Aaron and Frankie


Aaron and Frankie ran behind the busy school yard. They slipped through some double doors, leading into the gym. The boys stopped short and froze in their spot. The whole basketball team was there practicing. A few of them looked their way, but no one seemed to care. The team stayed focused and ignored them. When Aaron and Frankie realized that they were in the clear, they let out a sigh in relief.

“Holy wow, I forgot about our disguises.” Aaron said trying to catch his breath.

Frankie nodded, “So did I.”

“I think we better get a move on,” Aaron mentioned, grabbing Frankie by the arm and pulling him along. Frankie walked slowly along, but kept his eyes on the basketball coach as he started getting closer to the boys.

“Team’s looking good, coach.” The coach turned slightly toward him and gave him quick nod. Before turning back to the team, the coach took another glance at Frankie.

“You boys better hurry up and get to class.” He told both of them. Frankie smiled and waved him off.

“Heading that way, coach,” Frankie said. The coach nodded once more and then turned his attention back to the team. He blew his whistle to stop the play and yell at one of the team members for making a mistake.

Aaron grabbed Frankie by the arm and pulled him into the hallway, “Are you out of your freaking mind?”

Frankie shrugged, “What? Aren’t we trying to keep up appearances? I didn’t want to look too suspicious.” Frankie said his voice as low as possible.

“Yes we are, but we don’t want to tip anybody off. Try not to socialize with anyone if you can help it.”

Frankie nodded in agreement. “Okay, I'll go back out this way and look more around outside. You my friend need to get your butt to class." Frankie joked. Aaron smirked, knowing exactly what he meant. He would have to sit in a classroom full of living, breathing humans and pretend he was a part of the class. If only he could come up with some kind of plan...

"Alright man." They gave each other a manly hug and went their separate ways, hoping they’ll find something. It’ll be nice to tell Jesse something good for once.



Meanwhile with Jesse, Alicia, Lindsay, and Stevie


Jesse pulled the SUV he rented earlier into a vacant driveway and came to a stop.

“What the hell are we doing here?” Stevie frowned.

Jesse put the car in park and looked at Stevie through the rear view mirror, “Parking out of sight.” He answered. Stevie and Lindsay both leaned forward and glanced up at the house they just parked in front of.

“Yeah, but what if someone actually lives here?” Stevie asked.

“Well, yeah, of course this place is inhabited. Some rats and maybe a few bats may love it here,” Jesse said, glancing at him. “Do you really think that an actual human being would be willing to live in a house like that?“ Jesse shuddered a bit, pointing at the house. Stevie shrugged and then shook his head. Jesse nodded and glanced back at the house. “That house always gave me the creeps.”

Alicia took off her seatbelt. “This is your neighborhood,” She said. “What are we doing, baby?”

Jesse sighed, “We need a computer and the only one I can get my hands on is mine.”

“Don’t you have one at the house?” Lindsay asked him.

“You know, it’s weird. I’ve noticed a few things of mine missing from my house. My car for starters, and now my computer. I’m guessing my parent’s took them back after I died. That‘s the only logical explanation, I guess,” Jesse explained. “Come on, my parent’s house is just beyond those trees.”

Alicia and Lindsay followed Jesse out of the car, except for Stevie, who sat in the backseat trying to connect the dots, “Your parents??”

“Stevie, come on!” Lindsay shouted. Stevie quickly shot out of the car and sprinted up behind them.

“Jesse, wait, wait, wait, wait, wait…!” Stevie reached up and grabbed Jesse by the shoulders. Jesse spun around quickly and looked at him with wide eyes.

“Boy--damn! Can you trust me for once?”

Stevie put up his hands in defense. “Just one question,”

“What?” Jesse hissed.

“What if your parents are home?”

Jesse shook his head. “They’re not,”

“But how do you know?”

Jesse laughed and put his arm around Stevie’s shoulders. “You see that house over there?” Jesse said pointing at a nice brick home through the trees.

“Yes.”

“That’s my parent’s house.”

“Okay,”

“Do you see that driveway by my parent’s house?”

“Yes,”

“And do you see a car in that driveway?”

“No,”

After Stevie’s last answer, Jesse grabbed his face, “Then no one is home!” He let him go and continued to walk through the trees, the girls trailing behind him.

“Someone could still be inside,” Stevie added. He still wouldn’t let it go. Jesse growled and whirled back toward him.

“Fine,” He hissed. “If any of the doors are unlocked, we’ll go home and do this another day. Now, are you going to keep on running your damn mouth and waste our precious moments or are you going to let us get this over with?”

Stevie threw his hands up in defeat, “Alright fine, you win. After you,”

Jesse nodded, “Yes, after me.”

The group walked the rest of the way through the trees. Then, one by one they ran up to the house and pressed themselves firmly against the rough brick. They huddle together behind the heating and air unit.

“Okay, Stevie move over and see if the back door is locked.” Jesse whispered. Stevie shuffled a few paces to the right. He reached up and silently as possible, jiggled the doorknob. He pulled his hand back and gave Jesse a nod.

“Okay, carefully make your way to the side of the house and check the side door. It’s usually locked but try anyway. And then meet us at the front door.”

Stevie nodded, “Mkay.” Then, he carefully slid along the wall and disappeared around the corner. Jesse caught Lindsay’s and Alicia’s eye and then grabbed the girls’ arms.

“Come on,” The trio quickly headed in the opposite direction and jumped up onto the porch. The girls crouched down behind a pillar, as Jesse quickly reached up and jiggled the knob. It was locked.

“Stevie?” Jesse quietly called out. Stevie stepped into view from beside the house and leaped behind another pillar.

“No such luck with the side door.”

“Yeah, same with the front door,” Jesse said, and then his eyes narrowed at Stevie. “I told you they weren’t here.”

Stevie shrugged, “Yeah, but guess what is.”

“What?”

“Your Camero,” Stevie said. “I saw it parked in the garage.”

Jesse blinked. “Yeah, I had a feeling,”

“Why don’t you just take it?”

“That’s called stealing, you know.” Jesse said rolling his eyes.

“It’s yours,”

“And I’m dead. I think you keep forgetting that.”

“Okay, is there a window we can crawl through or something?” Lindsay said interrupting Jesse and Stevie’s bickering. Jesse glanced behind him and looked at her.

“Uh no, my parents kept them locked at all times…” Jesse trailed off when he started to remember something.

Stevie snapped his fingers, “Oh well, it’s all locked up. Better luck next time.” Stevie was about to stand up when Jesse grabbed him by the arm and pulled him back down.

“No, wait…there’s one window that doesn’t lock. Lets go,” Jesse flashed an excited smile and ran off the porch, the other three close behind him. They ran around the corner of the house and dove inside a bush just below a window.

“This is good, because this window leads into the room we need to be in.” Jesse said looking up at the window.

Stevie frowned, “Your bedroom?” Jesse nodded, silently. “Well, what a qawinkadink.”

“So how come your parents don’t keep this window locked?” Lindsay asked.

“There’s no lock on it.” Jesse answered her.

Stevie reached up and placed his hands on the window, examining it. “How the hell are we going to open it up from the outside?” He said trying to find a way to open the window.

“Boy, move it!” Jesse said. Stevie retreated back to his spot in silence, resting his hands on his knees.

Jesse turned toward Alicia and said, “Baby girl, do you mind?” Alicia smirked.

Stevie gasped in delight, “Oh I get it! Tele Wilson!”

Alicia wrinkled her nose and shot a glance at Stevie, “What??”

Stevie huffed. “You have telekinesis and your last name is Wilson. Get it? Tele Wilson?” A cheesy grin appeared on his face.

Alicia sucked in a breath and then slowly turned back toward Jesse, “Why did we have to bring him?” She whispered in his ear.

“I…don’t…know.” He whispered back. Alicia pulled away from Jesse. She glanced back at Stevie and rolled her eyes in annoyance. Then, she turned her attention to the window and with the flip of her right hand the window above swung up.

“Got it,” She said, smiling at her friends.

Jesse put his arm around her and then kissed her cheek, “Thank you, darling.”

Standing up slowly, Jesse reached up and gripped the window seal. He lifted himself up and cautiously peered into the room. He looked down at the others and motioned them to follow him.

“Quickly, before anyone sees us.”

Jesse lifted himself inside, followed by the others. Luckily nothing was below them as they settled inside. They were afraid they would accidentally break something and then they would be in major trouble.
Jesse took a deep breath and ran his hand over his bedspread. It felt weird being back in his old bedroom. He almost forgot what it looked like. The room seemed different; cleaner. Everything was set up nice and in place. There was no spec of dust anywhere.
This must be my moms work, Jesse thought. A lump started to form in his throat as he started to think about his mother. He thought about how she still must feel. If only he could see her now. He would wrap his arms around her one last time and tell her that he went to a good place. He wanted to tell her that he loved her and that he’s happy.
Jesse blinked back a few tears and took a quick breath. He smiled to himself and walked over to his dresser.

“I guess your parents keep your room locked up.” Stevie said in a low tone. He was standing by the door with this hand resting on the door handle.

Jesse nodded to him.

“Baby, come here.” He whispered to Alicia.

She got off the bed and went to him. She wrapped her arms around his waist and rested her chin on his shoulder.

“Yes, dear?”

“Do you remember this?” Jesse asked her, holding a gold necklace with the charms ‘A+J’.

Alicia gasped and her eyes lit up. She reached up and fingered the ‘A+J’ and kissed Jesse’s neck, lightly.

“Yes I do. I got that for you when we first started dating. I was lucky enough to have a father in the jewelry business. I had that custom made for free.”

Jesse smiled, “I remember I was so paranoid about losing it or it getting damaged that I refused to wear it. I wouldn‘t wear it to school, afraid it‘ll get stolen. I wouldn‘t wear it when I traveled. I wouldn’t even take it with me on tour. I would sure lose it then. It meant so much to me, because it came from you. It was the best present I’ve ever received.” Jesse sniffed and leaned his head against Alicia’s.

Alicia tightened her grip around him and snuggled her face into his neck. She placed small kisses along his jaw line. Tears began to form as she breathed him in. Although she’s dead, Alicia could feel her heart breaking into a million pieces. She loved Jesse so much and she couldn’t believe she had hurt him the way she did. She didn’t even think it was possible for her to cheat on him, but she did. Alicia couldn’t take that back. She wished she could turn back the clock and take back what she had done. That wasn’t going to happen. She could feel his pain and it tore her to shreds.

“I love you,” She whispered softly, her lips brushing his ear. “I’m so sorry.” Her voice cracked.

Jesse squeezed her hand and took a shaky breath, “Baby…”

“I betrayed you. I don’t deserve to be forgiven for that.” She cried.

“Does it matter now?” Jesse whispered.

“I want to be able to have a little piece of mind after all this is over. I want you to forgive me. But I wouldn’t blame you if you don’t. I want you to know that I love you more than anything in this world and I never meant to hurt you. I don’t even know why I did it in the first place.”

“Because you love him.”

“But I’m not in love with him. I never was. You’re the only one I’ve ever wanted and the only one I’ve ever loved.”

Jesse turned around and faced her. Alicia sighed and wiped away her tears. Jesse cradled her face and kissed both of her eyes. He pulled her face away slightly and looked deep into her eyes.

Jesse shook his head, “Why Aaron?”

Alicia’s lips quivered and she lowered her head, ashamed. Jesse immediately pulled her head back up.

“Why…him?” Jesse asked again.

“I don’t…know.” Alicia started to sob quietly.

Jesse pulled her close to him and kissed her face over and over. He tried to kiss all her tears away, but they just kept coming. The words I forgive you held its place on his tongue

Jesse opened his mouth to say it, but instead he said, “I love you so much.”

“No you don’t. You hate me.”

Jesse was shocked by her statement, “Baby, no. No, of course not. I don’t hate you. I just hate the situation. I could never hate you.”

“I feel like dying…” She cried again.

Jesse pulled back a little, “What?”

“I want to die again. I don’t deserve to be here with you. I’ve hurt you so badly. I can never take that back.”

“Look at me,” Jesse said, cupping her face and pulling it up. Her face was tear stained. “We don’t have another chance together here on Earth, but we can be together again forever in heaven, because…I forgive you.” And the words came. Jesse suddenly felt a lot lighter. Alicia shook in his arms.

“I forgive you.” He whispered again. Then, he lifted her chin back up and slammed his lips down on hers. He kissed her tenderly and full of passion. He slowly pulled his lips from hers.

“I love you.” He whispered and kissed her again.

Alicia smiled through her tears, “I love you too.” Jesse rested his lips comfortably on her forehead and closed his eyes.

“Uh, guys?” Stevie spoke.

Jesse opened his eyes, tiredly and looked over at him, “What is it?”

Stevie stood by the window and was nervously playing with the hem of his shirt.

“I hate to interrupt you guys, but I think we better do what we came here to do before your parents decide to show up.” Stevie said.

Jesse nodded slowly, “Mkay, go start my computer.”

Stevie nodded and pressed the power button to the computer. The computer sprang to life.

“Stevie’s right. We need to hurry.” Alicia said, drying her eyes with her shirt.

Jesse nodded, “Yeah, we’ll talk later, okay?”

Alicia nodded, “Mkay.” Then, she stepped forward and wrapped her arms around his waist one more time before joining Stevie and Lindsay at the computer. Jesse sat down in his chair and grabbed the computer mouse.

Lindsay wrapped her right arm around Alicia’s waist and held her friend close

“You okay?” Lindsay whispered in her ear.

Alicia gave her a weak smile, “I am now.”

“So what do we need the computer for?” Stevie asked.

Jesse clicked his tongue, “Research. There’s always been something about Miller that has always seemed familiar to me and I think I know what it is. I just need proof,” Jesse stared at the computer screen, deep thought. “I have a hunch there’s something not right with him.”

“What’s that?” Stevie asked putting his arm around Jesse’s chair and leaning closer to the computer screen.

Jesse turned and look at him, “I don’t think Kent Miller is his real name.”