- Text Size +
Photobucket


Howie got into the cab after he'd landed in Orlando. He immediately called Nikki's cell phone, but got no answer. Howie sighed and looked over at Nick.

"You didn't have to come back home with me," he said.

Nick shook his head. "There was no way I was going to let you do this alone," he said. "Besides, I can check up on Rachel while I'm here."

"Thanks," Howie said as he tried Nikki's number again. "Damn, she's not picking up."

"She knows you're coming, right?"

"Yeah, I told her before I got on the plane. Oh, well, I'll see her when I get back to the house," he said with a yawn.

"You think you could give me a ride over to my house? After you've checked up on Nikki, I mean," Nick asked.

"Yeah, no problem," Howie replied.

The taxi pulled into the driveway of Howie's house. He felt his heart sink when he saw the ambulance in the driveway. Howie threw a fifty at the cab driver and quickly got out of the car. He pushed past the paramedic at the door.

"Excuse me, you can't go in here," he said.

Howie barreled into the house. "I live here!" he shouted. "What's going on?"

Howie looked up the stairs and saw Amanda coming down. There were more paramedics carrying Nikki down in a stretcher. Howie walked up to Amanda and watched the paramedics carry Nikki to the door.

"Amanda, what the hell is going on?"

"I don't know," she said while crying. "She called me and I couldn't understand her. When I got here…she was unconscious. Howie, I'm sorry, I tried."

Howie turned around and Nick had made his way inside. Howie held back his tears.

"They're taking her to St. John's to try and stabilize her," he said while putting his hand on Howie's shoulder. "You want me to drive?"

"Yeah," Howie said as he walked out the door.

Amanda followed closely behind and grabbed Howie's hand. "Howie?"

Howie jerked his hand away. "Go home, Amanda."

"What?"

Howie opened the passenger side of the car and tossed the keys to Nick. "I said go home," he said then got into the car.

Nick got into the car and backed out of the driveway.

"Do you know what's going on?" Nick asked.

Howie sighed and shook his head. "Just drive, please," he said while looking out the window.

Nick drove to the hospital as quickly as he could. He dropped Howie off at the entrance and Howie hurried inside as Nick pulled away. He walked up to the desk and slammed his hands down.

"I need to know what's going on with Nikki Blaine," Howie said in a frantic. "She was just brought in here by ambulance."

The nurse clicked away on her computer. She frowned and looked up at Howie.

"Are you a family member?"

"Well, I'm her boyfriend."

The nurse shook her head. "I'm afraid she's in ICU and that is for immediate family only. In fact, I need to contact her family members. Do you know if she has any family?"

Howie shook his head. "I'm all she's got, basically."

The nurse shrugged. "I'm sorry, but without her family's permission, I'm afraid I can't tell you anything."

Howie felt himself become angry. "What do you mean you can't tell me anything? You can't even tell me if she's alive?"

Howie felt Nick's hand on his shoulder. "Howie, go sit down," he said sternly.

Howie shoved Nick's hand away. "Fuck you!"

Nick grabbed Howie's arm and stared him down. "Go sit down," he said again.

Howie sighed and sat down in a chair in the waiting room. He placed his hands over his face and tried to calm down. He heard Nick pull a chair up beside him. Howie looked up at him.

"The nurse said she's going to find anything she can. We just have to be patient."

"I just don't understand," Howie said in almost a whisper. "Where did I go wrong? I knew I shouldn't have gone to L.A. without her."

"Let's not worry about that right now," Nick said. "For now, let's just stay focused on the situation at hand."

"You're right," Howie said as he sat up straight. "They just better not keep me waiting too long."

Nick pulled out his cell phone. "I'm gonna step outside and make a couple of phone calls. Don't go anywhere," he said as he stood up.

"I won't," Howie said as he sat back and rested his index finger on his temple.

Over an hour had passed and Howie was becoming restless. Nick had been in and out of the waiting room, making phone calls. Howie stood up and began pacing back and forth in front of the window. He squinted his eyes when he saw Amanda and Sarah walking up to the entrance. His eyes followed them as he watched them come into the waiting room and approach him.

"Have you heard anything?" Amanda asked.

"No," Howie said softly. "And I don't know why you'd care."

Amanda wrinkled her brow at him. "Alright, what the fuck is up with the attitude," she asked.

"I thought I asked you both to keep an eye on her while I was gone. I'm barely gone two days and she winds up in the hospital. You dropped the ball."

"Howie, it goes both ways!" Amanda protested. "She didn't want our help. Why the fuck do you think I kept calling you? And where were you this whole time, huh? Why were you suddenly too busy to pick up the God damn phone!"

Nick rushed up to them and stood between Howie and Amanda. "Guys, this isn't the time or place for this."

"Back off, Nick!" Amanda shouted.

Sarah grabbed Amanda's arm. "He's right, Amanda. I think we should have a little more respect."

"I'm sorry," Amanda said with a shaky sigh. "Howie, I didn't mean to yell at you."

"I did," Howie said flatly.

"Howie, stop," Nick said. "None of us are thinking about Nikki's condition. Stop placing the blame and focus on what's important."


Howie sighed and nodded. "Yeah, I guess you're right," he said as he fought back his tears.

Howie looked to his right and saw his sister, Pollyanna rush into the waiting room. She saw him and immediately went to him and put her arms around him. Howie hugged her back and allowed a couple of tears to fall.

"I came as soon as I got the call from Nick," she said.

"We still don't know anything yet," Howie said as he wiped the tears off his face.

"I'm gonna run to the cafeteria and get coffee," Nick said. "Anyone want some?"

"Yeah, I'll take one," Howie said.

"Get us all one," Pollyanna said.

"I'll come with you," Sarah said as she followed Nick.

The rest of the night went by slowly. Howie got up and looked out the window. Nick came up behind him and patted his back. Howie crossed his arms and sighed loudly. He felt Nick tap him on the shoulder and point in the direction of the doctor coming into the waiting room. He quickly turned around and waited for him to speak.

"Mr. Dorough, I'm doctor Jameson. I'm sorry to have kept you waiting for so long. We've had a bit of a mess in the ER tonight," he said politely.

"Any news?" Howie asked.

Dr. Jameson nodded. "I'm afraid she's in a coma."

Howie felt his knees buckle. He swallowed hard before he spoke. "A--a coma?"

"Yes, that's really all I can say for now. It seems the amount of prescriptions that were taken has put her in this condition."

"Will she wake up?" Amanda asked.

"She's stable right now. That's all we can say for now."

"Can---can I see her?" Howie choked out.

"Well, visiting hours have already ended, but since she has no immediate family around, I'll let just one of you go into the room."

"Howie, go ahead," Amanda said while touching his arm.

Howie nodded and followed the doctor to her room. He opened the door and looked at Howie.

"Fifteen minutes," he said then left him alone.

Howie slowly walked into the room. There was a dim light in the corner and he could see Nikki's face being lit by the moonlight. There were machines beeping as Howie pulled up a chair beside the bed. He studied her face. She looked so peaceful. He placed his hand over hers and caressed her fingers. Howie sighed as he looked at her.

"Nikki, why couldn't you just talk to me?" he whispered. "Please wake up," he said while crying. "I love you."