- Text Size +

AJ glanced over to where Nick was sleeping in the passenger seat beside him, his head leaning awkwardly on the glass, his hoodie pulled up around his shoulders and wadded into a makeshift neck pillow. He'd barely changed positions at all in the past five hours, except a couple of times when he stirred momentarily and asked if AJ needed a break. AJ of course refused, knowing the young man was in no condition to drive. He was fine with the silence they drove along in now... fine with letting his friend sleep on.

AJ been pretty shocked when he'd been somewhat rudely awakened at approximately 5 am to the sound of his best friend beating on his bedroom door and yelling at him to "get your ass up now Aje!"

He'd done just that, expecting the worst as he hauled ass to the door. Their flight wasn't scheduled until eleven and that gave them more than ample time to shower and get to the airport without waking up at the crack of dawn... especially when Nick was usually the one taking his sweet time and especially when AJ was expecting to have to drag him kicking and screaming. He slung the door open to find Nick standing in the hallway, fully dressed, car keys in hand.

"Get dressed!" He shouted before AJ had a chance to even speak, "We're leaving right now! We have to leave NOW." His face showed an expression of anxiousness and worry that scared the hell out of AJ.

"What the hell's going on dude?!" AJ asked as he hurried to throw the rest of his things in his half packed suitcase and clambor into his clothing. "Did something happen?? Is Grace.... is she okay?"

"I... I don't know AJ," Nick stammered, running his hands through his hair, "It's just... we're going... I have to go right now."

AJ didn't waste another second, not that he was being given a choice, but frankly he was thrilled to see the sudden change in his friend's attitude. He finished packing, slipped on some flip flops and grabbed a cup of coffee and the two of them were ready to go in less than fifteen minutes.

The hours since had passed quickly as AJ drove along the interstate. He mostly listened to the radio while Nick stared out the window at the passing scenery or slept curled up in the passenger seat. He'd said very little since they'd left their beach house and AJ was more than willing to leave it at that. At least he was making a step in the right direction. At least they were on I-75 heading towards Kentucky now and AJ wasn't about to be the one to say something that would change his mind.

It was a little after 11:30 now... halfway there. "No turning back," Aj whispered to himself as he glanced at his friend once more time.

"If you really, really love her dude, there's no turning back."

~~~~~~~~

Nick squirmed in his seat, stretching his legs out in front of him as far as he possibly could, but it was no use. He couldn't get comfortable regardless of what position he twisted himself into.

"Hey Aje," he mumbled, turning towards where his friend was sitting, bopping along to the music on the radio as he focused intently on the miles ahead of him.

"Yeah man?" He spoke without taking his eyes off the road.

"You mind taking the next exit? I could really stand to stretch my legs... maybe get some coffee or something."

AJ nodded, "No problem bro, I gotta take a leak anyway."

Nick couldn't help but laugh, AJ had such a way with words. He focused his gaze back out the window to where the West Virginia mountains passed by in the distance. They weren't bad to look at, but he couldn't help stop his mind from wandering back to his dreams from night before as the road bumped along beneath them.

Dream Flashback

Nick sat on the beach soaking up the last of the days sun after spending another beautiful afternoon surfing and boogie boarding through the waves of the Atlantic Ocean. He was as relaxed as he'd felt in a long, long while... sure that nothing could ruin the perfectness of that moment.

"NICK!.... HEY NICK!!!"

He heard the screams coming from behind him and turned just in time to see AJ running frantically down the beach, his cellphone waving in the air above his head.

"Dude, where's the fire?" He asked as he stood and laughed at Aj, mocking his run as his friend drew closer, but he stopped abruptly when AJ was close enough for Nick to make out the obvious tears trailing down Aj's cheeks. His sunglasses covered his eyes, but the tears were definitely there.

"Wh-what's going on man? Why are you crying? What is it???" Nick has spilled out the questions without stopping long enough for AJ to answer and when he finally stopped to take a breath, the words his friend said took that breath away.

"She's gone Nick..." He stepped forward and took Nick into a hug but Nick didn't hug back.

"What... who?"

"Nick she's gone... it's over. Gracie's gone."

"NOOOOOOOOO!"

End Flashback

Nick had woken up at that exact moment, still screaming. He was broken out in a cold sweat, tears streamed down his face and his heart raced unmercifully. But that had done it... that was enough right there to convince Nick that he was going to be with Grace and he had to go right then. The fear of losing her was bad enough but the dream had awoken an entirely new fear and one he wasn't about to face head on. Losing her would be bad enough... unfathomable honestly... but losing her like this was something he couldn't let happen.

He'd jumped from his bed and showered in minutes trying with all his might to erase the memory of that awful dream... trying to remind himself that it was, in fact just a dream. He'd gotten dressed and pack in record time before banging on AJ's door with the hopes that AJ would agree to the long drive.

And now here they were, about three hours from Kentucky, the dream still haunting his mind.