- Text Size +
-- February 21, 2008, 10:20 am --

I sat on the sticky, uncomfortable leather sofa in the studio at Howie and Leigh's house praying someone, anyone would just go ahead and end my misery. I should probably have been at home in bed nursing my body along but instead I was sitting there, cradling my video camera in one arm and a package of saltines in the other.

Aj had informed the guys about my project a few weeks earlier and they'd invited me along to one of their recording sessions. Not that I needed to be invited along, Howie had reminded me fifty times... I 'was always welcome.' I guess I should take a hint and start showing up to some of their things more often! But back to me... I was sitting there with my camera and my crackers wishing someone would go ahead and end my misery.

"We're ready babe!" Aj hollered out to me from inside the glass box, or "live room" he and his buds had confined themselves to. They were working on getting the lyrics straight for a new song. I was just trying to stay out of the way... well, that and keep my breakfast down. It was all starting to look unlikely at this point.

I wearily rose myself up off the couch and walked over to control area where Nick and Howie had taken a seat. Aj was bopping along inside the box to whatever feedback he was receiving in his headphones and Brian was singing opera somewhere in the background... I can only guess warming up his voice. I myself, just wanted to disappear.

"You ready?" Nick asked me as he flipped some switches and told AJ to go ahead and begin. I think I nodded.

The last thing I remembered before running out of the room to barf my toenails up was Howie looking over at me and asking if I was okay. No... no I was not. I think I murmered something along the lines of "I'm gonna hurl," and I'm pretty certain I tossed the camera at Nick before I headed out of the studio and into the bathroom that thankfully was right outside the door.

When I was about 60 percent sure I was not going to throw up again in the next five minutes I stepped away from the toilet and splashed my face with cool water. I heard Nick outside saying "Sweet! I caught that on film!" Yeah... what a memory that would be. I heard a knock at the door and Howie's concerned voice coming through, "Hey Jess... you okay in there?"

For a brief moment I wanted to say, "No I'm not and thanks to your friend out there I won't be okay again for about another 7 1/2 months!" but we weren't ready to spill the beans yet so instead I just mumbled something about being fine. I opened the door and he helped me back into the studio and onto the couch.

"Damn girl!" Nick said eyeing my curiously. "What'd you eat?"

I moaned at him... growled at him really... "Don't you dare talk about food Nick Carter! Unless you want me to rip your arms out of their sockets and beat you with them!"

He laughed, "Wow, violent aren't we."

I nodded. I had a right to be.

Aj came out of the live room and took one look at me laying on the couch and rushed over to my side. "You okay Jess?"

"Yeah." I said weakly peering up at him and then looking around the room at the other 3 guys who were staring at me. I felt a little like a sideshow attraction in that moment. "Just not feeling the greatest this morning... maybe I should go home."

Aj nodded, "I'll take you."

The guys said their goodbyes and that they hoped I felt better soon and I thanked them before we loaded into the car and headed for home.

"That was close," Aj said with a grin as he leaned over and rested his hand on my tummy. "You need to give your mommy a break in there little one."

I smiled. I loved it when he talked to the baby.

"We'll have to tell them soon." I said reaching down and taking his hand in mine.

"Yeah... I mean... I can't wait to tell them!" He replied.