- Text Size +
-- May 24, 2008, Noon --

I stood beside our king-sized bed in our master bedroom and glanced around at the piles of clothes and supplies that Aj had laid out for our trip and then down to my one small suitcase. I had to laugh because I'd be damned if my husband wasn't a bigger female than I was when it came to packing.

I carelessly shoved the last of my maternity clothes into my suitcase along with my brand new oversized bathing suit (have I mentioned this pregnancy thing is totally for the birds!) and followed up with an attempt to shut and zip it. No such luck.

"Aj!" I whined as he came strolling out of the bathroom carrying yet more supplies to pack and found me leaning heavily on the suitcase in my half-assed attempt to seal the deal.

"That looks comfortable babe," he mused as I rolled my eyes at him in a dramatic fashion and watched as he walked over and dropped the load of bathroom supplies he'd been carrying onto the bed beside me, "sexy too." He stood back and winked as I continued fiddling with the zipper on the bag.

"Oh don't even tell me this is turning you on!" I rolled my eyes at him once more and laughed as he slipped up beside me and kissed me gently on the cheek before purring in my ear, "baby you always turn me on."

He had to be kidding me.

"I'm fat, hot, I have a beachball for a belly, and I'm totally over exhausted Aj," I said pushing him away as I unglued myself from my spot on top of the suitcase. He whined and I shot him a look. "Aj, we're leaving on vacation in three hours and you haven't even packed your mountain o' shit." I pushed him off again as he tried once more to come on to me. It wasn't going to work in my pregnant state, especially not now that I'd worn myself completely out. "Pack now, sex later." I told him as I leaned up and gave him a kiss on the lips. He gave me the look that said, "are you serious?" and I nodded... because I was. "And zip my suitcase while you're at it!" I hollered as I walked out of the room.

I turned just in time to see him come to the door. "Wait," he yelled as I reached the kitchen and opened the fridge for some ice-cold lemonade, "when's later?"

I had to laugh. The poor guy was always thinking about sex lately and in my whalelike state I rarely delivered. I gave him an evil wink and replied with a snarky grin while rubbing my belly, "How's about like 6 months from now later."

I turned back to the fridge after watching his face fall. I wasn't being serious of course... I would keep my promise and tonight... well maybe tonight when we got to the beach... it was a nice thought.

For the time being though, I could have a little fun torturing my husband.

-- 3:15 pm --

Empty spaces, fill me up with holes.
Distant faces, with no place left to go...

I started humming along to one of my favorite songs he'd ever sang the moment it came on the radio. He leaned forward and changed the station.

"Hey!" I said as I flicked the dial and tried to find the song again, "what'd you do that for?"

"You know I can't stand listening to myself sing babe... I've always hated hearing myself on the radio."

I rolled my eyes, continuing to try and find the song again. I understood that there were certain songs that brought back bad or bitter memories for my husband. He had a difficult time listening to anything from the Black and Blue album and this song... for whatever reason this song always made him feel angry with Kevin. I loved it though, so I made him listen to it anytime it came on anyway. I finally found it once more and turned the volume down so that at least he didn't have to hear it blaring through his car...

Voices tell me I should carry on,
That I am swimming in an ocean all alone.
Baby, my baby, it's written on your face.
you still wonder if we made a big mistake...

I couldn't help but smile as I leaned over and took Aj's hand in mine. He looked over at me and smiled weakly. If I was being honest the song turned me on... I mean it was my husband singing afterall and his voice, at least in my mind had always been incredibly sexy. "Sing," I said as he stopped at a red light and I squeezed his hand even tighter. He gave me an odd look but the next thing I knew his beautiful voice was carrying through the car...

I don't mean to drag it on,
but I can't seem to let you go.
I don't want to make you face this world alone.

I smiled as his verse ended and the chorus picked up. I leaned over and kissed him gently on the lips as the light turned green. "Sex later?" He asked with a mischevious glance.

"After that?" I said gently rubbing his hand with mine, "pull over... we'll have sex now!"

We laughed and I answered his question honestly as we continued our drive to the airport. I was so looking forward to this vacation. Two entire weeks in Hawaii, away from the world of work and patients and blood and death that I encountered on a daily basis at the hospital. I needed the vacation for myself and for my relationship with my husband. I also needed the break to stop and think about the fact that I was going to be having a baby in a few short months and planning needed to happen.

"You excited?" Aj asked as we pulled up to the airport.

"Incredibly!" I said with a smile, knowing I showed it as much on the outside as on the inside. We'd be enjoying the first week of our vacation alone and then Howie and Leigh would be joining us along with my parents and Aj's mom. I was really looking forward to the idea of a nice little vacation.

"What are you going to do first when we get there?" Aj asked as he grabbed the bags from the trunk and handed me my sunglasses.

"Hmm," I answered pondering it for a few moments and then winking at him slightly... "I think you already know that answer to that one."

His smile widened and he winked back at me. "I'm all for that!"

This was going to be a great vacation.