- Text Size +

~*~Brian’s point of view~*~

I was in the dog house, and I knew it.

Nick had been the last one to leave, but he’d helped me put the food away. I finished cleaning up the grill and the backyard looked normal again. I’d been hoping that would earn me some brownie points, but when I walked into the kitchen, I could tell it hadn’t.

She had “the look” on her face. It was subtle, but we’d been married long enough for me to be able to tell.

“Hey,” I said.

“Hi,” she answered, but her voice was toneless. She was rinsing out the cups we’d used tonight.

“Let me do those,” I said, making another attempt to help.

“No, it’s okay. I’m almost done.”

I leaned against the island. “Sorry I forgot the hot dog buns…”

This time she didn’t answer.

“Come on. It was an honest mistake.”

August turned around, after putting another cup on the drying rack. “It’s not just about that.”

I stared at her, confused. I wondered what else I’d done.

She crossed her arms, realizing that I was clueless as to what she was talking about. “Do you ever listen to me anymore, or do you just… drown me out and think about more important things?”

Whoah. I really hadn’t expected it to be this bad. “More important things? Like what? You are the most important thing.”

She sighed. “Nevermind.”

“No, seriously. You’re right, I’ve kind of been neglecting you lately…” I said, thinking back to the past few weeks. “I really am sorry, August.”

She heard the sincerity in my voice.

“It’s okay,” she said, and she seemed to mean it. “I’m just being moody today… I was a little stressed having everyone over today. A good kind of stressed, but…” she trailed off, her eyes apologetic.

I wrapped my arms around her, giving her a quick kiss on the top of her head. “Friends?” I grinned.

“Umm,” she held up her ring finger, “I hope we’re a little more than that.”

I will love you more than that, I won’t say the words then take them back,” I sang in her ear, rocking her back and forth to the lyrics.

She said the first few words as I sang them. When I was finished, she added, “Yeah, I totally knew you were going to that.”

“I guess I’m just that predictable, huh?” I asked.

“When you pay enough attention,” August said, mostly to herself. She turned around, pulled me closer to her, and gave me a kiss.

Soon after, I glanced at the clock. “I guess I should be getting ready for bed…” I headed towards the door, then quickly turned around.

“Gotta go,” she said, beating me to it, a knowing smile on her face.

“Darn it!” I laughed. “You do know me too well, Mrs. Littrell,” I said as I climbed the stairs.

~*~Michelle’s point of view~*~

By the time I got home from work on Monday, I’d checked my phone half a dozen times. As if, even though I had the volume turned up, I would’ve missed a call walking back to my apartment. I felt like I was in middle school or something.

AJ had said he’d call me today.

I wondered if he really would. He didn’t seem like one of the guys who just said they would and then never did. Or what if I was just choosing to believe he wasn’t? Or what if, now that I’d given in and said I’d go out on a date with him, he’d lose interest in me? The thrill of the chase was gone.

I tried to stop worrying. Deciding that my apartment was in need of being cleaned, I knew that would distract me. Some. I did the chores I’d been procrastinating lately: vacuuming dusting, dishes. I put away all my chores. I even felt the need to rearrange the living room furniture so that the sun from the window wouldn’t cause a glare on the TV screen anymore.

At least my stressed mental state was causing me to be productive. I felt much calmer now. My heart was beating normally. I wasn’t thinking about…

The phone rang.

In my cleaning rampage, I must’ve moved my cell. It wasn’t on the living room end table like I’d thought.

“Crap!” I muttered, frantically searching and throwing a few things out of my way as I did so, which undid some of my cleaning. That was just like my life.

It continued to ring.

I didn’t want to have to call him back. It would take me forever to work up the courage to dial. This was just ridiculous…

“Gotcha!” I found it underneath some towels I’d folded. “Hello.”

“Hey… Did I catch you at a bad time?”

“No,” I tried to sound nonchalant. “Why?”

“You sound out of breath.”

I laughed in spite of everything. “I had to find the phone…”

“How was work?” he asked.

“Pretty sucky… so a regular day,” I laughed.

“Oh,” he seemed a little disappointed. Like he was hoping I’d be a better mood. “Listen…”

“Uh-oh. Why don’t I like the sound of that?” I hadn’t been paranoid after all. He’d never been interested in an actual date, just getting me to accept.

“We’ve got some producers to meet with. I’m going to be in Nashville all weekend. My flight leaves Thursday, actually.”

“Okay,” I said. “No big deal.” I hoped he couldn’t tell how disappointed I was.

“Don’t think you’re getting out of it that easy!” he scolded me. “I get a raincheck. When I get back, we’ll go on that date.”

“We’ll see,” I grinned.

“At least I know better now.”

“What do you mean?”

“I know that that means yes in your language, even if you don’t come out and say it.”

“My language?” I sat on the couch, putting the cushions back in place from trying to find my cell phone.

“Michellish. There aren’t really any clear forms of agreement… You’ve got to study the language to get a good handle on it.”

“Interesting.”

“See? You just proved it… Anyways, we’re going to dinner tonight. Do you want to come?”

“Um,” I said, surprised. “Who’s we?”

“Brian, August, Carmen, and Howie I think.”

Another group event? I’d had a good time at the last one. “Why not?”

“So yes,” AJ translated.

I rolled my eyes. “You’re insufferable sometimes, you know that?”

“Right back at ya.”

I laughed. “You giving me a ride, or do I need to start walking?”

“You call me insufferable and then ask for a ride? I see how it is.”

We decided on a time and I was waiting out front. He was as punctual as last time. We headed to a restaurant near the mall. It wasn’t anything fancy, just an all-american food, family friendly type of restaurant. Everyone else was already there, in a spacious corner booth.

“Hey,” AJ said, taking off his sunglasses and sliding in next to Howie.

I took the last spot, on the other side of the booth opening next to August.

“Hey,” she greeted me, as the guys started discussing some chat they’d had with their manager today. “Good to see you again.”

“You, too,” I said. I noticed that she and Brian were holding hands. They must’ve re-patched the little argument they’d had yesterday.

“So where’s Diana tonight, Howie?” August asked, when they finished their conversation.

“One of her old college friend’s are in town, and they went shopping. And then they’re renting a chick flick to watch at our place… So eat as slowly as possible, everyone,” Howie said smiling. “Hopefully I’ll get to spend a little time with her this week before we leave.”

“Ooh, August, we can take over your place this weekend. This guy,” she jerked a thumb at Brian, “will be out of the way for once.”

Brian rolled his eyes. “Glad to know that I will be missed.”

“Don’t worry, you won’t,” Carmen told him with a sugary smile. “Anyways, August, I think we need a girl’s night in. All this Backstreet Boy stuff all the time is nice and all… but the Backstreet Girls are getting neglected.”

“And whose girl are you?” Brian raised an eyebrow. “I certainly don’t claim you.” He cracked up at his own joke.

“Aw, I’ll take her,” Howie said.

“Wow,” AJ mused. “Carmen and Diana? Look who’s the popular Backstreet Boy these days.”

“The Backstreet Girls?” August shook her head, laughing.

“I guess that makes you Brianna?” I joked, wanting to contribute something to the conversation. It wasn’t like me to be this quiet.

Of course, it wasn’t like me to be out to dinner with a group of people, either. It was nice, feeling like I had a social life again.

“Ha! Brianna,” Brian let out a loud laugh, putting an arm around her.

“Then you’re…” AJ started.

“Don’t you dare say it--” Carmen pointed a finger at him.

“Nicole.”

She threw her napkin at him.

The rest of the meal was just as entertaining. I guess they spent a lot of time in close-quarters while on tour. Well, most of them. I wasn’t sure if Carmen had toured with them or not, since I didn’t know the whole Nick story. But it was like a family dinner. Everyone knew exactly which buttons to push on everyone else, while knowing where the line was.

By the time we headed back outside, it was almost dark.

“Michelle, Carmen and I really are having a girl’s night this weekend if you want to come,” August said. “Probably a sleepover, but you don’t have to stay all night if you don’t want to. It’s kind of a 12 year old activity, but…” She shrugged.

“No, it does sound like fun.” I couldn’t remember the last time I’d had a sleepover. Years, certainly. A decade maybe.

“Friday night?”

Then I remembered something. “Oh…” I was too embarrassed to say it.

“What’s the problem?” Carmen joined the conversation.

I could take a taxi. But I thought about how far she lived… that would cost a good chunk of change.

“Oh, right,” August seemed to read my expression. “You haven’t gotten your car fixed yet, have you?”

My eyes widened. They really had heard a lot about me.

Carmen asked where I lived and I told her. “Oh, you’re not far out of my way. Give me your number. I’ll call you later in the week…”

I did, grateful, and said goodnight to them.

“Have fun?” AJ asked.

I nodded.

“I feel like I barely got to talk to you again…” he laughed. “Next time.”

“Who says I want to hang out with you again?” I asked, once in his car. “Maybe I think some of them are much cooler than you…”

“Okay, remind me not to let you spend any more time with Carmen. It seems like you’re getting even more of an attitude.”

The ride passed quickly. “Have a safe trip, okay?” I said.

“Aw, worried about me, darling?”

I rolled my eyes. “There’s that insufferable over-confidence again!”

“I’ll call you when I get back.”

“Okay,” I smiled, not wanting to get out of the car. I’d see him next week. It wasn’t a long amount of time at all, but it felt like it was going to be forever. “Have a good night.”

“You, too. Play your cards right, maybe you’ll get promoted to Alexandra.” He winked.

I laughed and headed up the sidewalk. He waited until I got to the door, and I waved before going inside, already counting down the days until I could see him again.