- Text Size +

~*~Michelle’s point of view~*~

I was back at my apartment, having just said good-bye to Carmen and Dianna. Carmen had returned her movie and we’d gone out for a quick dinner. I’d gotten water and a side of fries, so I rummaged around the refrigerator for a slice of leftover pizza. Luckily, payday was Friday.

This was the first time I’d been alone here, or anywhere, in days. The sun was still out, though, so I wasn’t worried about it. Actually, I was relieved to have a quiet moment. I hadn’t heard from Peter since the day after the incident, either, which was also nice. Maybe he was just trying to lull me into a false sense of calm, but any day that I didn’t get a creepy text was a good day.

I sat down on the couch and turned on the TV. The slice of pizza was soon gone. When my phone rang, I knew who it was. After taking a deep breath, I answered. “Hello?”

“Hey. You still with Carmen?”

I paused. “No, she dropped me off at the apartment a few minutes ago.”

“Wait, dropped you off? Are you there by yourself?”

“Um. No?”

“Who’s there?”

“Casper? I mean, sure, he’s a ghost. But he’s rather friendly.” It was a lame remark, but I was having an off day.

I could hear his deep breaths over the phone, as well as an engine starting. I guessed he was just now leaving the studio. And, of course, heading here.

I covered my face with my hand. He’d sure gone chivalrous with this whole ordeal. I knew he’d be staying here again, on this crappy couch, despite last night. Oh, this is going to be fun, I thought.

“By yourself? What if something happens?”

That I’d locked the door was the only response I could think of. He told me he’d see me soon and to call him if anything happened.

But that was pretty doubtful. Honestly, what trouble could I get into in ten minutes?

I’d called August this morning, after AJ’s suggestion last night. I was grateful he had that dinner to go to tomorrow. Maybe I could just stay at August’s house for the night? They had a guest room. Hopefully that wouldn’t be too much of an imposition.

Although who was I kidding worrying about that? AJ would probably he so glad when all of this was over. He could get back to his own life, dating all of those women, and… whatever else it was that he did. He’d been patient so far, but that would only last so long.

The doorbell rang soon after. I’d managed to straighten up so that my apartment was tolerably tidy. I looked through the peephole, because despite what AJ seemed to think, I was being careful. Even through the distorted image, I could tell that he was frustrated.

“Hey,” I opened the door. As his mouth opened, I beat him to it. “Yes, I looked before I opened the door. I knew it was you.”

I stepped aside so that he could come in.

“Where did Carmen go? I can’t believe she just left you,” he said, annoyed.

“Calm down,” I answered, surprised he was so worked up over this. “We had just made plans to get dinner. I didn’t hire her to babysit for the night. Besides, August was calling as she was leaving. They probably had something planned for tonight.”

He sighed loudly but didn’t say anything else. I didn’t know what else to say, either. I sat down on the couch, wishing I could be oblivious to the awkward silence. AJ followed suit.

“Are you staying here tonight?” I asked, though I knew the answer. I made sure to motion to the couch as I said it, so he’d know exactly what I meant by “here.” It was bad enough I’d been rejected once. I didn’t need him thinking that I was going to try again.

“Yeah,” he said. Suddenly, he seemed almost as embarrassed as me. “If that’s okay?”

“Sure.”

I glanced at the clock. It wasn’t even seven yet. This was going to be a long night.

Luckily, the commercials ended and the sitcom came back on. I focused my attention on the TV. After that show ended, I remembered that he’d come straight from the studio.

“Did you eat dinner? I’ve still got leftovers.”

“That’d be great. I’m starving.”

I microwaved him some pizza. “Here you go.”

“Thanks.”

I didn’t answer. I couldn’t remember a time that we’d ever been so polite. We bantered. That was just how the two of us were. And I’d screwed it up.

We watched another hour of TV. I couldn’t remember the last time I’d sat in front of it so long. Eight o’clock. Was that too early to pretend to need to go to sleep? Darn it, I didn’t have to work tomorrow. That would’ve been my only justifiable excuse.

When a reality show came on, I couldn’t stand to stare at the television anymore. There was nothing worse on, as far as I was concerned. People being fake and wanting attention.

“These shows are so fake,” AJ voiced what I’d been thinking.

I smiled a little. Knowing what he was hinting at, and not having any other options due to a lack of cable, I turned it off.

There was that awkward silence again.

“So… you’re all set to go to August’s tomorrow night, right?”

I nodded, still staring at the TV even though it was off. I couldn’t stand to look him in the eyes today.

“So…” AJ said. He shifted on the couch cushion.

I was talented. I’d managed to make the most easy-going, charming man in the world uncomfortable. He dealt with women all the time, but didn’t know what to say around me now.

“Yeah?”

“Maybe we should talk?” he said.

Oh, God. “About what?” I decided that playing dumb was the way to go. Maybe this would just go away.

“About last night,” AJ answered.

“There’s nothing to talk about,” I said, getting up. I quickly headed to my room, grabbing my purse on the pretense that I need to put it away. I was hoping the retreat would at least buy me some time, but when I turned around, he was standing directly behind me.

It really would’ve helped the situation if he could’ve not been looking so sexy tonight. But, no, life was never fair.

“Things have been weird today. I don’t get why you’re mad at me.”

“What do you mean, mad at you?”

“You can’t even look at me.”

“What do you want me to say? I feel like an idiot.”

“It was just a mistake,” he said. “Don’t worry about it. I know you didn’t… mean it. You’ve been through a lot this week.”

“Didn’t mean… what?” I stared at him, wondering what in the heck he was talking about.

“I still don’t get why you’re mad…”

“I’m not mad!” I raised my voice, feeling even more embarrassed. Why couldn’t he get that through his head? “Listen, you don’t…” I wanted to say ‘you don’t like me anymore,’ but luckily I realized how incredibly desperate that sounded before I spoke. “You’re not interested. I get it.”

He looked surprised and I felt a shift, though I didn’t understand it. “Not interested? I’m a guy. Of course I’m interested! Since the day I friggin met you!” Now he was the one who looked exasperated.

“Right,” I rolled my eyes. Hard to believe a statement like that when he’d pushed me away so quickly last night.

“Michelle, you’re not like the other girls I’ve dated…”

Ouch.

“Yeah, I get it,” I said again, crossing my arms, hoping he didn’t see my red face. Apparently he was “interested” in every female, but those were the only girls he was really interested in.

“No, you don’t,” he sighed.

“Look, can we not talk about this anymore?”

AJ opened and closed his mouth several times, struggling with whatever he wanted to say. Finally, he decided against saying anything. I jumped in surprise as AJ pulled me to him. I was about to ask what he was doing, but a second later his mouth was crushing mine.

This caused several other questions to rise. As he moved to my neck, though, my mind suddenly blanked. I definitely hadn’t expected the night to turn out like this.

I knew it didn’t mean anything. Well, it did, just not what I wanted it to mean. I was one of many. Hadn’t he just said he was a guy, and therefore interested on principle? But I hadn’t taken a lot of chances since moving from Maine, until I’d met AJ, of course. And life was short. That wasn’t just an overused phrase; it was something I was constantly being reminded of right now. My future was uncertain.

But I had the present.

I ran my hand through his hair- for once, he wasn’t wearing a hat or sunglasses. This night was full of surprises. AJ kissed me again, and then seemed to be trying to slow himself down. He took a step back, making eye contact as he moved to the bottom of my shirt, looking for consent.

Like I’d ever been capable of turning down his eyes.

My heart was racing as he lifted my shirt.

“Alright, this is the part where I’m supposed to run out of the room, right?” I joked.

AJ laughed. “You’ve been uncharacteristically nice all day, and now is when you choose to get sarcastic again?”

I smiled as he kissed me, closed my bedroom door behind him, and lowered me onto the bed.