- Text Size +

~*~Michelle’s point of view~*~

The week passed slowly. Finally, Friday arrived, although that didn’t mean too much to me. I’d be here tomorrow morning, bright and early as always. Sunday, at least, was still a day of rest. My application for the assistant manager position was turned in. I had handed it directly to the boss. I knew it would be awhile before I heard anything, but I was still hoping there would be some news sooner than later.

The morning was a little slower than usual, which was fine by me. As the lunch crowd started filing out, I looked at the clock. Only an hour to go. This afternoon was definitely one for a good, long nap. That was my reward for working so hard all week.

When I looked up, the two guys from earlier this week were walking in the door. Rock and… well, I never figured out the other ones name. What was this? The third time I’d seen him this week? I thought back to a few days ago. Like I was going to get in a car with a random guy.

I was safer on those streets.

Rock’s phone started ringing. He answered it. I heard “Hey, August, I was just going to call you…” He motioned to his friend that he was going to go outside to talk. I respected that. I was forced to listen to cell phone conversations all the time. It really bugged me when they came up to order while talking on the phone. As if I had nothing better to do than try to make out what they want in between the blabbing with their friends.

“Well, hey again,” he said, leaning casually against the counter.

Oh boy. “What can I get you?”

He ordered a frappe like he had on Monday. I started making it.

“So, I guess your car is beyond repair?”

“Yep.”

“That sucks. I’m sorry.”

I didn’t answer, even though I agreed. This didn’t deter him. This guy was not in the least bit shy with people, was he?

“I’ve been in the studio all week. Recording a new album.”

So maybe I was wrong with the gang member thought. He was a musician. That made sense. This guy did give off a rock star vibe, with his sunglasses- did he realize that most people didn’t wear them inside?- and tattoos and… the general attitude he gave off. Like he was cool and he knew it.

“Interesting,” I said, without feeling. This was Orlando. Did he think he was the only person trying to make it big in the music world?

“Yeah. This’ll be the Backstreet Boys sixth album,” he said.

Just kidding. He’d already made it big, hadn’t he? Was his friend one of the Backstreet Boys, too? Maybe that was why I’d recognized him. He had said it conversationally, but I could tell that he was trying to impress me.

“You’re a Backstreet Boy?” I asked, skeptically. I couldn’t help it. My curiosity was outweighing my decision to ignore him in the hopes that he’d go away.

He seemed pleased that I had heard of the group. But, honestly, who hadn’t? They were a household name. “Yeah. AJ.”

Was there a Backstreet Boy named AJ? I racked my brain, trying to decide whether or not I believed him. I thought back to high school, and the friends who had been BSB fans. Yes, one of them had wanted to marry an AJ. She covered her locker with pictures of him. I remembered her favorite picture, and sunglasses seemed about right. The same for tattoos, although not half as many as he appeared to have now.

I nodded, believing him. I finished up making his drink and started putting his money in the register. “You guys are still together, huh?”

“Going on fifteen years.”

AJ wasn’t trying to be impressive now. I could tell that he genuinely felt proud and a little reminiscent. He seemed real for a second. I was about to ask more, but he put on his smooth smile again.

“So, how would you like to go out with one of the Backstreet Boys?” AJ said this as if there was no possible answer but yes. Boy band members probably didn’t get turned down often.

Famous or not, he was still a bad boy. I wasn’t stupid enough to make the same mistake twice. Not when the first had cost me so dearly. “No thanks.”

AJ raised his eyebrows, surprised. “Come on. One date.”

“I’m married,” I said, obviously lying.

“Where’s your wedding ring?”

“Oh. I forgot to put it on this morning. Silly me!” To my dismay, the more I was sarcastic, the less deterred he seemed to me. Didn’t he have models or actresses or blonde singers to go hit on somewhere?

His friend reappeared at this point, but didn’t seem to want anything. He was in slightly less spirits than he had been moments before. I thought back to my friend’s locker. There had been a brunette one that could sing really well. The man standing before me was years older than those pictures, but aside from the laugh lines, he still had the cute, boyish features that had captured the hearts of so many of my peers. He smiled at AJ and asked him if he was ready to go. The smile and easy, blue eyes finalized my thinking. This had to be Brian. I couldn’t remember his last name, but I was sure of the first. I wondered what the “Rock” nickname was all about.

Shrugging, I turned to grab some napkins to restock for customers.

“See you later, Michelle,” AJ said.

I wondered how he knew my name, then realized he had probably seen my name tag. I gave him a noncommittal smile. After all, a Backstreet Boy wasn’t likely to be in one place for very long. Who knew if he even lived here regularly? Maybe he was only in town to record. Even if he did reside in Orlando, the tour would surely take up all of his time following the CD.

Still, interested or not, it was flattering to be asked out by a Backstreet Boy.

“Michelle,” Jack called, “do you think you could do that any slower?”

I finished refilling the napkin holders without answering.

No, my thoughts returned to AJ, I wouldn’t see much more of him. I certainly couldn’t hold the interest of a celebrity for very long. The man probably had a month’s worth of dates lined up already.

As my shift came to a close, I headed outside for my walk. I groaned when the humidity hit me. This would not be a fun trip home. The sun was beating down on me. Sighing, I headed across the parking lot towards the sidewalk.

Someone was leaning against his guy. “Thought you might want a ride home.” “You know, this is borderline stalking,” I responded. What was with this guy? Persistent much?

He smiled, smugly. “You know, it’s a nice change to be on this end of it.”

Oh, right. He would’ve had dozens of stalkers over the last decade, wouldn’t he? The kind with hearts painted on their faces who were twelve years old. Not really menacing, but probably annoying.

I laughed at the thought.

“So is that a yes?”

“Um, no. You’re not supposed to take rides from strangers, you know.”

“I thought that was candy?”

“Well, that, too.”

“Remind me to cancel that box of chocolates I ordered to be delivered,” AJ joked, still leaning against his car, unabashed by another rejection.

He had a sense of humor. I had to give them that. It was something I appreciated. I tried not to, but another laugh escaped my mouth.

Now he really looked smug. As if he were wearing me down. That only served to annoy me. He really couldn’t make any sort of lasting good impression, could he?

“Look, I don’t know what you’re playing at, but I am not looking to date your kind.”

“My kind? Boy band or otherwise?” he seemed intrigued by my statement.

“You know exactly what I mean, Mr. ‘I like to act tough and think I can get whatever I want in life,’” I shot back. “Hate to break it to you, but if you came out of your popstar bubble a little more often, you might realize that’s not how it works in the real world. You can’t change my mind, no matter how many fancy cars or Grammy’s you’ve got. So… have a nice day,” I added, to officially close the conversation.

While I hated that I had turned down the offer of AC, I was surer that I wouldn’t have to deal with him anymore. I couldn’t possibly make myself any clearer than that.