- Text Size +

~*~AJ’s point of view~*~

“Let’s go somewhere else today,” Brian begged. “Like that Italian place a few blocks away for lunch. I’m so sick of getting sweet tea and sandwiches. It’s called variety, AJ.”

“Yeah, the coffee shop and McDonalds,” I joked.

“Seriously, man, why are you so obsessed with her?” Brian rolled his eyes.

Obsessed was an exaggeration, but only slightly. I’d had a date last night with a beautiful blonde I’d met at a friend’s party. She was tall, gorgeous, and interested. She hung on my every word, seemed extremely lucky to be on a date with me.

But she’d bored me to tears. Her personality was flat. There was no spark in her. I’d thought of Michelle several times.

I knew it was simply the pursuit of the chase. She was right. With women, I usually did get what I wanted. It wasn’t often I was turned down and, when I was, my charm usually worked to change that. This chick was immune to it, apparently.

I didn’t claim to believe in love at first sight. I wasn’t pretending to think that, even if I did get that date, there’d be a future past a few more outings. Maybe a few months. I hadn’t found what I was looking for yet, so I didn’t see how one girl was going to change that.

Still, I was enjoying the creative ways Michelle was telling me to get lost. She was quick and sarcastic. It was entertaining to say the least.

“I’m not obsessed,” I said. “It’s just that the more she says no, the more I’m determined to convince her to say yes.”

“That’s stupid,” he laughed. “I don’t think she’s going to change her mind.”

Probably not. I agreed to the Italian place. I could go back tomorrow.

We went to lunch. The waitress was cute, so I got her number.

“Good,” Brian commented as we were leaving. “Your days of stalking over?”

“Oh no, Rok,” I said. “Where’s the fun in that?”

“Right. What was I thinking? Who doesn’t enjoy stalking?” he asked, sarcastically.

Two days later, though, I started to realize that I was getting pathetic. The waitress, Cheryl, wasn’t as beautiful as the blonde or as sarcastic as Michelle, but she was pretty enough and funny enough. We’d gone to dinner and then back to my place, and I promised to call her again in a few days. A second date looked promising.

Nevertheless, I walked into the coffee shop on my lunch break, alone today. Brian had decided to eat with Howie and Nick.

“Hey,” I said.

“I suppose you want your usual?” Michelle raised an eyebrow.

“I want a date,” I grinned, “but the usual will do.”

She turned around quickly, but I could tell she’d laughed a little. A moment later, she was handing me my drink.

“Thank you very much,” I said.

Michelle looked at me for a minute, obviously thinking something.

“What?”

“Nothing.”

“No, seriously, what is it?”

“You’re just… interesting, that’s all,” she said, trying to choose her words carefully.

“Interesting enough to let me take you to the movies?”

She shook her head. “Because you’re also full of yourself.” She smiled.

“Ouch,” I laughed. I realized that Brian was right. This wasn’t going to go anywhere. “Alright,” I waved my arm in the air, about to admit defeat.

Michelle visibly flinched and something flashed in her eyes.

“Are you okay?” I asked.

She seemed a little embarrassed, but her expression was soon blank again. “Yeah. Why?”

“Um…” I shook my head. I was imagining things. “Well, I can see this is a lost cause.”

“Figure that out all on your own, huh?”

I laughed again. “Even a Backstreet Boy can admit defeat eventually. Thanks again,” I held up the drink.

She seemed surprised as I walked out the door. I decided to go ahead and call Cheryl. I didn’t want my ego to stay bruised for long.

~*~Michelle’s point of view~*~

AJ had stayed persistent for longer than I’d thought. For a week, he’d come in several times. He’d passed me in his car twice, offering me rides both times. I’d declined. I had started to suspect there was some sort of bet going on, wondering what would happen if I did accept a date. I could picture him saying, “Just kidding. I won!” He’d have that sure of himself smirk on his face, no doubt.

I realized that was highly unlikely. But I’d still felt like I was missing something.

Then, he’d “admitted defeat,” as he’d put it. That had been three days ago. AJ had been in only once since then, but he’d simply said hello and ordered a drink.

Which was good. I didn’t need someone like him in my life.

The morning had gone by pretty smoothly. I was in the middle of wiping down the tables before the lunch rush.

Jack had actually been pleasant this morning, which was rare. He hadn’t asked me to do this clean-up work. For once he’d realized that I knew what needed to be done. This wasn’t my first day on the job, by any means. I didn’t know why he was happy, but I wasn’t going to complain about it.

There were drops of rain coming down outside, which made the day nicer, too. We needed rain. It was only a light shower, but it would cool everything off and no doubt be sunny again by the time I got off work.

“Oh, excuse me,” I said to a customer as he walked in. I’d been turning around to wipe off the last table and almost bumped into him.

“Michelle, will you come here?” Jack asked politely.

Happy or not, Jack was never polite. I could hear the warning bells going off in my head.

I walked over to the counter, where the customer was standing. He looked to be early 20s, probably college aged.

“Can you do me a favor?”

“Yeah,” I said, moving to get behind the cash register. I didn’t know why he couldn’t take the order himself, but it wasn’t like Jack ever pulled his weight around here.

“Oh no,” he laughed. “I need you to train Tom.”

“Hi,” the guy gave a dorky wave. He had freckles and glasses and seemed very unsure of himself, standing there.

“Oh,” I said. Then, “What? Are you going to be working here?” I’d directed the question directly to Tom, but Jack answered.

“Yes, he’s Clarissa’s nephew. He’s going to be the assistant manager for the day shift.”

Each word hit me like a ton of bricks. Clarissa was the “big boss.”

“Assistant manager?” I repeated.

“Yes,” Jack smiled. “It may take a few days, but we’re confident in your training abilities. You see, he’s never worked in a coffee shop before.”

I don’t know how long I stood there, staring at him. I could feel my face getting red, angrier by the second. He was feeding off of my fury, his smile widening.

“I bet you volunteered to be the one to tell me, didn’t you?” I said to Jack, raising my voice.

“What do you mean?” he asked innocently.

I opened my mouth again, to really let him have it.

“I’d watch what you say. How are you ever going to buy a new car without a job?”

He had me there, and he knew it. I continued to glare, but I didn’t say anything.

“So… where would you like to start?” Tom asked.

“Can’t today Tom,” I said. “I’m not feeling too well,” I said, still loudly, taking off my apron and throwing it on the counter. “I think I’m going to have to take a sick day. Good thing you’re here to cover my shift. It’s best to learn by doing, after all.”

I grabbed by purse and headed outside. I ignored the raindrops falling on me. There were barely enough to notice. I headed home, fists clenched, wanting to punch something.

Or someone.

I walked a few blocks but then changed my mind about going to the apartment. There was a small park and I headed to the nearest bench. After kicking it a few times, I felt better and worse. Better for having gotten out my aggression. Worse because my foot was now aching from hitting the steel.

I rested my head in my hands. I was annoyed at everything. But mostly myself. I shouldn’t have gotten my hopes up.

“Are you okay?” I heard a voice ask.

“Fine,” I said curtly, not raising my head.

“You sure, Michelle?”

Oh, crap. Whoever this person was, he knew me. I wiped by eyes as nonchalantly as possible. Luckily, it was raining, so the fact that my face was wet wouldn’t seem out of place. I hated crying, especially in front of people. Old habits die hard. At least I hadn’t been sobbing or anything. Simply a few tears of frustration.

“What are you doing here?”

AJ decided that was as close to an invitation as he was going to get and sat down on the bench. “I was driving by when I saw you crossing the street. You looked upset.”

“Mad,” I corrected him.

“What happened?”

“Nothing.”

He nodded his head, accepting that that answer might be the only one he was going to get. He remained seated next to me.

I sighed. “I applied for the assistant manager spot and… I didn’t get it.”

“Oh. Sorry,” he said, and actually sounded like he meant it.

“They gave it to some kid who has absolutely no experience, simply because he’s the manager’s nephew. Just goes to show that it’s not what you know, it’s who you know.”

“Wow. That really sucks,” AJ said. “You want me to go kick some ass?”

I laughed. “Tough guy, huh?”

“Actually, I’d probably be pathetic in a fight. But I could out sing them.”

I laughed again, shaking my head. “What are you talking about?” I asked, rhetorically.

He shrugged, seeming glad he’d made me smile. I ended up telling him the details of how Jack had broken the news to me. He murmured “douche bag” several times.

“Michelle, you practically run that store now. They’re bound to see what a mistake they’ve made when this guy can’t handle the job. He’s obviously in way over his head.”

His sincerity surprised me. “Thanks.” The rain started coming down harder. “I’d ask if you want a ride home, but I suppose you’d rather get drenched than have to spend five minutes in the popstar bubble, huh?”

I thought it over for a minute. “A ride would be great.”

He led me to his car and held the door open for me, which was surprising. AJ seemed different today, although I couldn’t quite put my finger on it. I navigated him towards my place.

“You’ve probably never been over in this part of town, huh?” I could only picture what mansion he lived in.

“Uh… well, I’ve driven through it,” he said. I could tell he was fibbing.

“This is it,” I said when we pulled up to an apartment complex. There was some graffiti on the brick walls of the building. The landscaping, or lack thereof, wasn’t what you’d call inviting.

But it was home.

I turned to him, curious for his reaction. AJ kept his face blank.

“Yeah, coffee doesn’t pay the big bucks like the rock concerts do.”

“But it certainly keeps you awake in the morning,” he said without missing a beat.

“Listen… thanks,” I said, turning to him before I started opening my door.

“Anytime,” he said.

The ego had been absent today. He hadn’t tried to score a date; he’d just been there when I needed someone. Then I noticed what else was different. AJ didn’t have his sunglasses on. I didn’t think I’d ever seen him without them. I wondered why he was so attached to them when he had such beautiful brown eyes. I could tell there was more to him than I’d initially given him credit for.

“Um, yeah, thanks,” I snapped myself out of gazing into them. “Um… see ya around?”

He nodded. I walked up to the building, turning back out of habit. He was still sitting in the car, waiting to make sure I made it into the building safely. Trying not to smile, I waved and then went inside.