- Text Size +

~*~AJ’s point of view~*~

“So… have a nice lunch?”

“Oh,” August looked guilty. “He told you about that?”

“Yup,” I said. I was in the Littrell’s kitchen, sitting at a stool by the island.

“Brian, you have a big mouth!” she called into the other room.

Brian came in. “What?” he said, acting offended but purposefully opening his mouth as wide as it would go to say it.

“You weren’t inconspicuous about it, either,” I commented, rolling my eyes.

“Well… we were in the area anyway, and we were just curious. You’ve been talking about her. It’s been awhile since I’ve seen you so into a girl.”

“Again, thanks, big mouth,” I laughed at Brian. “You two can’t find anything better than me to talk about?”

“Don’t change the subject, young man,” she pointed the kitchen knife at me. She was making dinner. They invited me over fairly regularly. Apparently, it wasn’t good to live off of fast food. Still, I never argued. A home-cooked meal was nice.

“What? I’ve been out with several girls the last few weekends…”

“For more than one date?” August continued.

“Yes.”

“More than two?”

“Yeah… no,” I laughed.

“Yet you keep bugging the one girl who turns you down. Repeatedly,” she repeated. “And you wonder why Carmen and I wanted to put a face to the name? What’s the deal, anyway? Always want what you can’t have?”

“You know it.” Although I was realizing it was more than that. “I mean, yes she rejects me… on a regular basis. But she does it with style.”

“Well, I hate to break it to you, but it’s time to give up,” Brian laughed. This wasn’t the first time he’d suggested this, of course. “Better to do so before the restraining order.”

“You know what? You’re right. I guess I’d better get in touch with her and cancel Sunday…”

“Sunday?” August raised her eyebrows.

“She was going to come to the cook-out.”

“Aww,” August grinned. “That’s wonderful! I can meet her… formally this time!” This was exactly the response I expected from the hopeless romantic.

Brian got some soda out of the fridge and passed me a can of Coke. “Well, you know, I was just kidding about giving up…”

“Right, Rok,” I rolled my eyes. “Actually, I did give up. I promised to leave her alone, but then…” I threw my hands up into the air. “Go figure."

“Well, Carmen’s not going to like the sound of this.”

“Why?”

“She was impressed that there was finally a woman out there who could resist your charm. We decided it might be good for you,” August laughed.

“Well, sorry. Turns out I’m just irresistible.”

“Wait a minute… I know another woman who resisted your charm,” Brian slid his arm around his wife’s waist.

“Nah, man, I let you have her. I just felt bad for you.”

He threw a dish towel at me.

“And I do remember a certain hot and heavy moment on my kitchen floor,” I smirked.

Now it was August’s turn to roll her eyes. “You just love to bring that up, don’t you? When the truth is, you’re just clumsy!” She pulled three plates out. “Here, set the dining room table. That is, if you think you can manage it without dropping anything.”

“Wow, I’m worthy of the dining room table tonight? Fancy,” I joked, grabbing the plates from her. As I was heading into the dining room, I noticed Brian give his wife a quick kiss on the cheek, thinking I wasn’t looking.

They were good together. I was glad they’d gotten a happy ending. They’d been so close to throwing all of this away once. I started setting out the plates, realizing that the sudden pang I felt was jealously. Which was funny since I enjoyed my independence. I wasn’t sure I could ever settle down like this…

Still, it was probably a nice thing to have someone to come home to at the end of the day. When Brian left the studio, there was someone waiting for him, ready to hear what was going on in his life.

“Earth to AJ,” Brian was waving a hand in front of my face. He’d come out with silverware. I hadn’t realized I’d dazed out for a second.

“I’m here,” I laughed, spreading out the rest of the plates.

We sat down to dinner. August started telling me about an article she was working on for the paper. “There’s a new exhibit opening at the art museum, centered on music. It’s from a cultural angle, inspired by how music is viewed in different areas around the world…”

Brian snapped his fingers together. “That reminds me, did you get a chance to talk to the producer before you left today…”

The conversation fell into our slow but steady progress in the studio. We sat at the table long after we’d finished eating.

Finally, as the hour was drawing late, I got up and started clearing the table.

“Don’t worry about it,” August stopped me. “I’ll get this.”

“Thanks, Mom,” I grinned.

She shot me a look as she took my plate into the kitchen.

“Yeah, thanks!” Brian called.

I could hear her laugh. “Don’t thank me yet. Guess who’s doing the dishes?”

“Busted!” I smacked him playfully on the shoulder. “Thanks for the food, August. It was good, as always.”

“No problem. See you Sunday?”

I nodded. “Alright, man. I’m out. Talk to you later?” I said.

Brian walked me to the door. “Well, I haven’t been able to get rid of you in the last fifteen years, so I don’t see how I’m going to change that now.”

“Funny, Rok,” I rolled my eyes.

I walked outside, heading to my car parked out front. I glanced back at the house as I grabbed my car keys. I could see them clearing the table together through a one of the huge windows. It was such an everyday, tedious job, but they seemed happy to be doing it together.

I felt that stab of jealously again. Hopefully it would pass. I tried to remind myself of the benefits of staying single. Still, as I drove home, I couldn’t help but wonder if I’d ever have what Brian did.