- Text Size +

“Sounds good to me,” Nick said, half laughing. Brian ignored him. “That’s not what I said, AJ.”

“Whatever,” AJ immediately backed away from the confrontation, holding his hands up.

Nick opened his mouth to say something, but August came over, oblivious to the tension. “Did you guys want any dessert? There’s a pie inside…”

“Ooh, pie?” Nick said. August laughed. “I’ll take that as a yes.” She headed inside to grab it.

The situation sort of dissolved itself. Brian was impersonating Nick’s reaction to the word “pie.” Nick shoved him, with a smile on his face. They began rough-housing.

AJ stayed quiet next to me.

“I don’t think I’ve ever seen anyone over the age of eight act like this…” I mused, staring at Brian and Nick.

“Uh-oh,” Brian heard me and turned to Nick, pretending to whisper. “I think she’s going to put us in time-out…” He put a solemn look on his face, then he and Nick dramatically ran into the house.

I laughed. I noticed that AJ was laughing, too, so I was relieved. I made a mental note never to bring up Kevin if I could help it. There were obviously some issues there between him and the group.

“Be right back,” AJ said, getting up. A moment later, he came back with two slices of apple pie. “Here you go.”

“Oh, thanks, AJ. You shouldn’t have,” Howie said. AJ held the paperplate out of his reach. “You can get your own!” He handed it to me.

“Thanks,” I said, surprised. Howie did get up a moment later, and after a few bites of pie, he agreed to play a quick game with Nick and Brian. I realized that, for pretty much the first time all afternoon, AJ and I were alone.

The pie was wonderful, but I set it on the table, half-eaten. I wasn’t usually hungry when I was nervous. The sun was starting to set, and I leaned back against the deck railing.

“Thanks for coming,” AJ said.

“This was a lot of fun,” I said sincerely.

He nodded, about to say something.

“Aright, AJ, go play basketball with the rest of the boys,” Carmen said, walking up with August.

“Why?”

“You’ve been monopolizing Michelle all afternoon. We’ve barely gotten to get to know her.”

“Um… I’m not seeing the problem,” AJ smirked.

“Shut-up,” Carmen pulled him up. She started shoving him in the direction of the basketball game. “Play nice!” she called after him.

“She’s subtle, isn’t she?” August laughed, taking AJ’s seat.

“Oh, yeah,” I rolled my eyes.

“Having fun?” August asked.

I nodded, though I could tell she was looking for more than an answer.

“You and AJ seem to get along well…” This seemed to be a lead in.

“And you’re making fun of me for not being subtle?” Carmen laughed, turning to me. “Don’t mind her. In her head, she’s probably already got the two of you married off with kids…”

August looked distant for a second, then snapped back into reality. “That’s not true. I was just saying…” “Mmm-hmm.”

“Wow,” I said. “You two sure are best friends, all right.”

“Besides, August, what’s the fun of hearing about them getting together? I want to hear about you turning him down!”

I just laughed.

“Oh, I’m not kidding. What was he doing the first time you saw him?”

“Honestly?”

“Ooh,” August said, “this is going to be good.”

“I didn’t recognize them…”

“Me neither,” August mused. Then she added, “Long story…”

“I thought they were in a gang.”

“A gang?” Carmen roared with laughter.

“Well, AJ has, what? A million tattoos. And he kept calling Brian ‘Rock.’ Which, by the way, I’ve been meaning to ask someone about… Why the heck is he called that? No offense, but I don’t think he really resembles The Rock.”

August smiled. “His nickname is B-rok because he ‘rocks on the basketball court.’ He’s had it forever.”

I turned my attention to the game. Sure enough, Brian was doing a lay-up with ease and out-maneuvering everyone with his skill and speed. “Oh.”

“What else?” Carmen pressed.

“I kind of… blew him off. I wasn’t that nice, to be honest.”

“I’m going to need to get a copy of those security tapes… Any other reasons? Or just the whole gang thing?”

“I don’t know,” I shrugged. “He was just so cocky about the whole thing. It was annoying.”

“What made you change your mind?” August wondered.

“What makes you think I have?” I said, slightly sarcastically but with a smile.

“I like her,” Carmen grinned, and luckily the conversation veered away from that question. I knew August was thinking that we were headed towards dating. Or, at least, a date, but… I didn’t think it was such a good idea. It was better I keep my distance.

It was funny to watch the two of them. They were completely opposite, but were almost like one person the way they could finish each other’s sentences.

And I could see why August and Brian were married, even if today wasn’t the best example. She was, while not as vocal and confident as Carmen, quick-witted enough to keep up with Brian’s sense of humor. And they seemed to have a relatively normal life, outside of his employment. Brian didn’t seem the rockstar type by any means. He probably craved normalcy at the end of the day, and August seemed very down to earth. I was willing to bet that having a famous husband hadn’t changed her in the least.

“Look!” Carmen pointed.

Nick was sitting on the pavement, clutching his knee. Howie was standing over him, apologizing. He must’ve tried to block Nick from taking a shot and accidentally pushed him.

“Foul!” Brian screamed dramatically, pretending to be an umpire and making a lot of wild, made up signals.

August murmured that she hoped he wasn’t hurt, while Carmen clutched the stitch in her side from laughing.

“So… do you and Nick not get along?” I knew they didn’t, but I was hoping this would lead to why.

“Oh, it’s a long story. I’ll tell you next time we hang out.”

Next time. They didn’t see the shocked look on my face because of the darkness falling and the fact that Nick was hobbling over, leaning on AJ, asking August for some ice. He wasn’t hurt too badly, but he’d have a bruise tomorrow.

I wondered if I would get to hang out with them again. It had been a long time since I’d spent time with a group of people like this. I didn’t have any friends left from… my old life. And I’d been very careful about who I let into this life.

Which was pretty much… no one.

It all hinged on AJ, anyway, if I I did want to get together with anyone again. And I didn’t know how long this friend kick would go on. It was probably one of those “enjoy it while you can” scenarios.

I really couldn’t explain any of it right now. All I knew was that it had been a great day. I didn’t want to worry about the future.

“You about ready to go?” AJ walked up.

I told him I was, and we said good-bye to everyone.

“What better way to end a party than with an injury?” AJ joked as we walked to his car. “Sorry, I didn’t mean to play b-ball so long.”

“No problem,” I said. This was a group event, I hadn’t expected him to stay by my side even as much as he had. He had every right to play basketball with his friends.

The ride back to my apartment complex went by too quickly. This time, I was surprised when he parked the car on the curb and walked me to the door of the building.

“Alright, call me obnoxious all you want,” AJ said, sighing. “Or persistent would be a much nicer way of putting it…”

My heart sped up. The answer was no. This wouldn’t work, couldn’t work. I knew better now, I reminded myself.

“Do you want to go out?”

No I didn’t, I answered him in my head. No.

“And it would be a date this time, just to make that clear,” he laughed. He looked vulnerable. He didn’t have that assurance anymore, which made complete sense as I’d turned him down so many times. AJ’s sincere brown eyes were staring into mine.

No, I just couldn’t say no.

“I’d love to.”

AJ smiled happily. Then added, “You really do hate the word yes, though, don’t you?”

“No,” I responded, purposefully being difficult.