- Text Size +
Sitting in the cab of Lexi’s truck again, Nick was fuming.

“Two weeks?!?” he almost shouted.

Lexi was trying to calm him down.

“Nick” she said, “he can’t help it. It’s a small garage out in the middle of nowhere. It will take time for the parts he needs to arrive and then time to fix it. He explained all that to you.”

“I know, I’m sorry” he said. “But what am I gonna do in the meantime? I need to get back home. I had some appointments set up that I need to get to” he explained.
Lexi thought for a moment as she drove towards home. Nick had gotten his dufflebag and a guitar case out of the trunk of his car then slammed the trunk closed before they left the garage. He really seemed harmless enough, from the little time they have spent together, and he got on well with Katie. She was normally pretty good at reading people. Well, except for her ex. Won’t go there tho.

“Well Nick, instead of staying at the one dumpy motel in town, you can stay with us until your car is fixed. You are more than welcome to use the bunkhouse beside of the main house. Katie normally uses it as a playhouse. It's not much but it’s got a kitchen, small living room, bedroom and bathroom. It’s got whatever you’d need for the next couple weeks.”

Nick looked at Lexi, considering the proposition. He was thinking he could just fly home and then come back down and get his car when it was fixed. That way he wouldn’t have to cancel the appointments with the producers he set up and the studio times he had booked.

The Boys were on break with no plans on getting together for a while. They had just gotten off their last tour a couple months ago and taking some much needed down time. Nick was using the time to get a jump-start on his second solo album.

He had taken a short, weekend break to visit Brian which is why he was where he was at now. Brian had invited him down to spend a “Boys” weekend with him, without Leighanne or Baylee. He thought it would be fun, so he went. Everything was going fine until Brian brought up the few times he’d been out to clubs and drank a bit. A huge fight had ensued and he had ended up leaving in a huff. He understood that Brian worried about him, but could they all not see the changes he’s made in the last few years? Brian had said he was proud of him but he still didn’t think he understood the daily struggle he had with everything. But, he knew his limits, knew the consequences, and lived the best he could. So what if he had a few drinks here and there. He was a grown man now, he knew what he was doing.

Thinking that maybe just disappearing for a while, away from everyone, everything, was just was he needed. He could do some writing here too. It was so quite, with no interruptions from the world he knew. No phone to ring constantly, no nosey friends to drop by unannounced. The more he thought about it, the more he liked the idea.

“Yanno Lexi, I appreciate the offer and think I’ll take you up on it. I’ll even pay you room and board for your trouble.” he finally answered her.

“Nick, you don’t need to do that. It was my idea.” she responded.

“No, if I’m going to stay, I’m going to pay my way. I insist.”

Changing the subject, Lexi said, “if you are gonna be staying, then we better take you into town and pick up some groceries and odds and ends you may need.”

“Thanks, I appreciate that” Nick said as he shifted in the seat. He felt good about his decision.