- Text Size +
Lexi closed the door behind her and readjusted the things for Nick in her arms. She still had the frown on her face as she walked towards the bunkhouse. Katie has had the absence of a male figure in her life for so long, she was hoping she didn’t become too attached to this stranger in their home. Nick seemed like a nice guy but what would happen when he left in a couple of weeks? Katie would be crushed.

She had reached the front door of the bunkhouse and knocked lightly. No answer. She knocked again. Again, no answer.

“Maybe he’s in the shower” Lexi thought to herself.

She tried the doorknob and pushed the door open. She poked her head in. “Nick?” she called. She heard music playing softly. When she still received no answer she wandered farther into the small quarters. It was then she spotted him, laid back in the recliner, sound asleep. She giggled softly to herself when she realized it was a Hannah Montana song that was playing.

“Man, no wonder he fell asleep. That shit will bore any adult to tears” she said softly to herself.

She crept into the small bedroom and laid the things she had brought on the bed and grabbed the blanket. She looked around and noticed he had already unpacked his things. In the corner she noticed the guitar case. She wondered briefly, if he was a traveling musician or was in a band of some sort. She didn’t ponder the thought long before padding quietly back as to not wake him up, she unfolded the blanket and covered him softly with it. He shifted slightly in his sleep but didn’t wake up. She stood back and took in his features as he slept. His hair was slightly mussed. His long lashes fell softly over his beautiful blue eyes. Beautiful, lush lashes. God, this guy had lashes AND eyebrows any woman would kill for! His lips were in a slight pout. He almost looked angry or agitated as he slept. Was he dreaming? She wondered what this guy’s story was. Well, she had a couple weeks to find out, she guessed. As she stood there gazing upon him, she suddenly got a feeling of longing. She shook herself mentally. Yes, he was absolutely stunning, but she couldn’t afford to be taking chances this stranger. First, he was only in town for a couple of weeks. Secondly, she had Katie to think about. She turned on her heels and left the bunkhouse and back across the yard to her own home. She changed into her nightclothes and crawled into bed. Her mind went in a million different directions about the man sleeping so close but finally slipped into a deep, dreamless sleep.

Nick woke up with a start. He bolted up out of the chair as if it was on fire, got tangled in the blanket that covered him, and promptly faceplanted into the floor. Pushing himself up on his arms and shaking his head, he pushed himself into a sitting position and checked himself for damage.

“So glad no one was around to see THAT” he said out loud to himself, fingering his now sore nose. But all seemed to be in tact and unbroken.

“Where the HELL am I? He looked around at his surrounding and it came flooding back to him what all had happened. Then he looked at the blanket. He didn’t remember it from last night. He then remembered Lexi was going to bring him some sheets and stuff and figured she must of covered him up.

He finally dragged himself to his feet and walked into the small bedroom. There, sitting on the bed, was a dark green set of sheets, a couple of pillows and some towels and washclothes. Yep, she’d been there. Going over to the dresser, he pulled out the only clean pair of jeans he had and grabbed a t shirt. Sniffing the shirt, he decided it was clean enough then grabbed a towel, washcloth and his toiletry bag, he headed towards the bathroom for a shower.

In the main house, Lexi was busy fixing pancakes on a griddle on the stove and bacon cooking on the backburner. Katie was upstairs getting dressed for school.

“Katie!!” Lexi yelled, “hurry up or you won’t have time to eat your breakfast!.”

Katie came thundering down the stairs and held out a hairbrush and two pigtail holder out to her mother. “Can you put my hair up for me?” she asked.

Lexi checked the pancake she had just flipped and then pulled out a chair and motioned for Katie to sit down. She went to work, quickly putting Katie’s hair into two curly pigtails.

“Thanks mom!!” Katie yelled as she grabbed the brush to run it back upstairs. Lexi went back to making the pancakes.

Just as she set the bacon on the table, she noticed something move by the back door. Looking up, her breath caught in her throat. There stood Nick, fresh from his shower. His hair was still damp and mussed and he looked absolutely edible. Mentally shaking herself, she walked over to the door and opened it.

“You hungry?” she asked.

Startled, Nick looked up and just stared at her. In her pink bathrobe, hair pulled back in a messy ponytail, she looked beautiful. He just stood there and stared at her.

Waving her hand in front of his face and snapping her fingers, she yelled “YO! NICK! You sleepwalking? I asked, are you hungry?”

Nick finally came out of his daze. “Umm, yeah. Sure you made enough? I don’t want to impose. I just came over to thank you for the stuff you left and apologize for falling asleep last night. Guess I was more tired than I thought last night.” he said.

Stepping aside so he could come in she said, “That’s ok. It was a long day for you. Do you have a soft spot for Hannah Montana?” she asked playfully.

“What?” he answered with a puzzled look on his face.

“You fell asleep listening to Katie’s Hannah CD” she said.

“Ohhhh..no. Honestly, I don’t know why I put that in. Reminds me of a friend of mine. He loooooves Hannah” he said in a with a whimsical singsong voice.

Lexi just looked at him like he’d lost him mind. Just then, Katie came running into the kitchen. “Hi Nick!” she shouted as she pulled a chair and took a seat and started reaching for pancakes. Lexi and Nick took a place at the table and dug in as well.

Nick was shoving in the pancakes like there was no tomorrow. Lexi watched him and wondered when he’d eaten last. He looked rather skinny to her and felt bad she didn’t offer him something last night.

“Gee Nick, you were hungry weren’t you? Katie asked him, her eyes big and round.

Nick looked up to see both of them watching him eat. Feeling embarrassed, he set his fork down and took a drink of milk.


“Sorry, but these things are delicious! I haven’t had chocolate chip pancakes in a long time. Sorry to make a pig outta myself” he said after he swallowed his drink.

“Well, Katie says I make the best in the county” Lexi said, quite proudly.

Lexi looked at the clock. “Damn, Katie, hurry up and get your stuff. You’re gonna miss the bus!” she semi shouted.

Everything went into a blur for Nick. Katie dashed from the table and into the living room flipping and flopping trying to get her shoes on and then grabbing her backpack and slinging it on her back. Lexi ran upstairs and came back down in a t shirt and track pants and they both ran out the door. Nick just sat there with is mouth agape. Suddenly, Lexi poked her head back in the kitchen.

“Go ahead and finish your breakfast. I need to run Katie down to the end of the driveway to catch the bus. I’ll be back in a flash” she shouted as she turned and ran back out of the house. Nick just watched the doorway as he heard the front screen door slam shut.