- Text Size +
Author's Chapter Notes:
Thanks a bunch for all the reviews! Glad you still like it!
To tell a little something about this chap, it would be the last chapter first, but i wasn't quite satisfied with it so I changed the whole chapter and so this isn't the last chapter yet. :) Just dunno how many chapters I still have to go until the last one but we'll see. ;)
One week later AJ was standing together with Brian in the hospital room where Kelly was still laying. The doctor had called AJ that he had news, but he didn’t tell whether it was good or bad news.

‘Mr. McLean, Mr. Littrell, thank you for coming,’ the doctor started.

AJ and Brian both nodded.

‘Please, sit down,’ the doctor said and gestured to two chairs. AJ and Brian did as the doctor said.

‘Now, the reason why I called you is to talk about Kelly, of course. She has been recovering from her injuries even though her liver has been damaged very badly,’ the doctor said.

Brian swallowed while looking nervously at the doctor. AJ just prayed in his mind that the doctor would come with good news now.

‘Even though it has been damaged, me and my colleagues still believe it can recover as well. To make sure she will recover completely, we decided it would be best to let her stay in the hospital for a month more. She has only been moved to another department.’

‘So, that means… she will survive?’ Brian said with a dry throat.

‘To give you the simple answer: yes. She will. She is very lucky, not many people survived injuries like she has. But I have some more good news.’ he said.

AJ and Brian moved forward on their chairs at the same time.

‘Kelly woke up last night from her coma. She is still a bit confused but she doesn’t have a heavy memory loss at all. She just doesn’t seem to remember how she got here, but the memories of that night can return soon enough. Once she will remember it, she can be really upset, she might be even panicking or hyperventilating.’

This time AJ swallowed. ‘When do you think the memories of that… night… will return?’

‘Memories like these can return in a couple of days, but it's mostly really unpredictable. We will keep an eye on her. If she’s asking for any of you, we will call you right away.’

I don’t think she will be asking for me when she remembers it, AJ thought sadly.

‘Anyway, you can visit her now. By the way, she was muttering your name all the time, Mr. McLean,’ the doctor said and looked at AJ.

‘Oh, really? Did she say anything more?’ AJ asked surprised.

‘Unfortunately not. She only muttered your name all the time. Now, if you don’t have any more questions, could you follow me?’ the doctor said as he gestured the two with him.

‘Alex? Did you hear the doctor? Kelly will be alright!’ Brian said while they were walking through the long hospital hall.

AJ shook his head as if he was waking up from a trance. ‘Huh?’

‘Never mind,’ Brian replied.

They followed the doctor to the other room Kelly had been moved to. While walking through the hall, AJ still couldn’t realize his wife wouldn’t die. She would live.

But he still felt the huge guilt building up inside of him. If he wouldn’t have been such an asshole, she wouldn’t have been here in the first place. It wouldn’t surprise him if Kelly wanted to divorce, though that thought made him cringe.

On one side he couldn’t wait to see Kelly, see her smile again, hear her voice. But on the other side, he didn’t dare to step inside. He didn’t think he could handle seeing her again, seeing her lying there, all because of him.

Come on, don’t be such a wimp, you have to be happy that she’s still alive, he thought sternly to himself.

‘Alex, do you want to go in first?’ Brian asked suddenly.

AJ didn’t realize they already arrived at her new room.

‘Oh, yeah, sure,’ he said insecure.

‘If you need anything, you can press the blue button next to Mrs. McLean’s bed,’ the doctor gave his final words, nodded one time to the men and then walked away.

‘Here we go,’ AJ sighed deeply before he pressed the door handle down and walked inside.

The room was bright and big, that was the first thing AJ noticed. It was a single room, so Kelly had enough space for herself. That's a good thing, he thought to himself.

‘Who’s there?’ they heard a hoarse voice whispering.

‘Kelly?’ AJ said, nearly shouting.

‘Alex?’ Kelly said, a little louder, with the same hoarse voice.

‘Oh God,’ he whispered when he saw a still pale-looking Kelly, looking straight at him with wet eyes.

Kelly spread her arms and AJ didn’t hesitate a moment to jump into her arms and hug her tight.

‘Shit, Kelly, I’m so sorry. I was so worried about you. I thought I would lose you and never see you again. I’m so happy, you have no idea how happy I am,’ AJ cried into her shoulder.

‘It’s ok, sweetheart. I’m alright, so no need to apologize anymore,’ she said while caressing his back.

After a few minutes AJ finally released Kelly and pressed a firm kiss on her forehead. ‘I love you,’ he said with his lips on her forehead.

‘I love you too, baby,’ she whispered back.

That one single line made AJ's heart flutter, he was afraid she wouldn't love him anymore.

Brian could barely keep himself from crying as he watched the couple. ‘Hey Brian,’ Kelly smiled once AJ sat down next to her.

‘Hi,’ Brian said, with a dry throat again, and smiled at her.

‘I knew Alex wouldn’t come alone,’ she grinned as she spread her arms for another hug. Brian hugged her immediately.

‘God bless you, Kelly. I am so happy. I…’ But he couldn’t finish his sentence ‘cause he was already crying.

‘Sshh, it’s ok, Bri. I’m really happy to see you,’ she smiled.

When he released her, he quickly wiped the tears from his cheeks and smiled at both Kelly and AJ.

That afternoon they talked for a long time. Kelly was curious if anything new happened in the time she was “gone”. AJ and Brian kept her up to date about everything that was going on.

‘However, nothing really special happened. We were all too worried about you. Everybody visited you almost every day. Alex was almost day and night with you,’ Brian said.

‘You were?’ Kelly asked and looked at her husband.

‘Of course, I was worried to death, although that’s not exactly the right expression in this situation,’ AJ said.

‘Well, it’s also not the wrong way. I mean, do I look dead?’ Kelly grinned.

Brian and AJ grinned as well, although AJ still felt a bit uncomfortable. The guilt kept creeping up on him. He wasn’t sure if he would tell how she got here. The doctor said she would remember it after a couple of days. But what should he say when she asks him to tell? Would it be wise to tell her? Or should he let her find out herself?

He didn’t know. He just hoped she wouldn’t ask about it.

After a couple of hours the doctor came in to say Kelly needed to rest.

‘Aw, shit. Now I will be bored as hell again,’ Kelly rolled her eyes.

AJ and Brian both grinned. Kelly started to be her own self again.

‘I’m sorry, but otherwise you’ll become too tired. You’re still not fully recovered,’ the doctor smiled.

‘I know, doctor. It’s alright. I can see them tomorrow again, right?’ she said while looking with a hopeful look in her eyes at the doctor.

‘Of course you can,’ the doctor replied with a short nod.

‘Brian, can you bring Leighanne and Baylee with you too? And can Howie and Leigh come with little James as well? And what about Nick and Lauren? I haven’t seen Lauren in ages!’ Kelly rambled on.

The others laughed. ‘They can come but not at the same day. Otherwise there will be too many visitors and excitement for one day. I’m sorry,’ the doctor said and looked apologetically at Kelly.

She pouted her bottom lip. ‘Alright. Brian, you have to come tomorrow with Leighanne and Baylee!’

Brian laughed. ‘I think they will both be delighted to come and see you.’

‘What about me?’ AJ smiled.

‘Honey, I don’t have to ask you to come. You always visit me!’ she smiled widely.

‘Ok, you have a point there.’

‘Well, we should be going then. It was really great to see you and speak to you again, Kelly,’ Brian said and hugged her tight. ‘I will be coming back tomorrow with Leighanne and Baylee.’

‘Tell Howie and Leigh to come too! With James of course!’ Kelly said.

The doctor looked sternly at Kelly. ‘Aw come on! Only them!’ she exclaimed.

‘Alright, alright. For only this time!’ the doctor smiled and shook his head.

‘See you tomorrow, babe,’ AJ smiled and hugged her tight.

Before he left, he softly kissed her on the mouth. ‘That’s a promise,’ he added and left the room together with Brian. When he was outside of the hospital and back in his car, he silently prayed a Thank You Lord before driving back home with Brian seated just as relieved next to him.

Back in the hospital, Kelly closed her eyes and smiled satisfied before she fell in a sleep that would be everything but peaceful.
Chapter End Notes:
Before I forget! I just heard on the radio that for the people in Australia and New Sealand the year 2010 has already started! Well, to everyone around the world, if it's 2010 already there or not, HAPPY NEW YEAR!

I still have to wait 9 hours. :P