- Text Size +
Chapter 9 – Brian

Kevin and I waited in a side room for Natalie Page, the lady who would interview me for this job at daycare, Mr. Thompson’s sister. I thought about earlier that day after Kevin had gotten out of the shower. I had planned on apologizing one more time for what had happened on the basketball court, but then I’d seen it. A bruise, dark and ugly, about six inches long on his side. I thought I’d seen something on his chest as well, but I couldn’t be sure. I knew that I hadn’t been strong enough to give him that, so what could have happened? His mom wasn’t the type to beat anyone. Despite the fact that I’d known her most of my life, I didn’t really… know her. I knew Kev had a brother, but he wasn’t home often, so that only left…

It couldn’t be! Not my uncle! He was one of the coolest people I knew. Unless… unless he was just putting on that mask for me. That hurt worse than any bruise, and I knew that. Our step-dad, Garrick Thornton, beat me once because I’d forgotten to clean the car. That was years ago, I was only twelve, and the bruise was long gone.

I shook my head and turned my attention to the interview ahead of me. I really hoped I’d get this job.

A door opened and Natalie entered the room. She was about my height, 5’7” with her black hair up in a bun on the crown of her head. She looked about late twenties or early thirties. Kevin told me he’d wait for me outside, and Mrs. Page took the chair that Kevin had just occupied.

She picked up her pen and put it to the pad of paper she had in her hand. I noticed it was full of writing; the questions, I assumed.

“Let’s get to know one another before we start,” she suggested. “How does that sound?”

I shrugged. “All right.”

She smiled softly. I think she could guess that I was shy. I hated it when someone knew that. But she must have dealt with it hundreds of times.

“I’ll go first.” She said. “I’m Natalie Thompson Page. I’ve been running this daycare center for seven years and I’ve loved every minute of it. I love children.”

I smiled. “Me, too. I’ve got a little sister… well, half-sister… named Julia. We’ve been living with my brother for a year since my mom died.”

“And your dad?”

I shrugged. “I never met him. He died before I was born. Mom remarried when I was thirteen.”

“You must not like him then.”

Gee, you think? “No.” I replied.

“Well,” Natalie sighed, starting the interview. “When would you be willing to work?”

“Part-time.” I replied. “After school and on weekends.”

“You said you had a little sister. Do you think you’ve gotten enough experience with her?”

“I guess so. She’s a sweetie; she’s only a year and a half.”

We talked a little longer, and I gave her both my phone number and Kevin’s number, since I’d be staying there a few days longer.

It was dark when I finally stepped outside and saw Kevin waiting for me in the car at the curb with the engine running. With the interview over, my thoughts turned homeward. I missed Harry and Julia. I didn’t want to tell Kevin, though. I didn’t want him to think I wasn’t having a good time… I was having a great time… I just missed my brother.

“Think you’ll get the job?” Kevin asked as he pulled away.

I shrugged. “I don’t know. She’ll call me in a few days if I got it.”


As soon as we got home, I grabbed the portable phone and raced up to my room. I dialed home and waited while the phone rang.

“Hello? Littrell residence.”

Jim?” I asked. “How come you’re at my house?”

“I’m babysitting Julia,” he replied.

“Well, where’s Harry?”

“Working overtime.” Jim replied. “He started a few days ago after he dropped Julia off at my place. I’d suggested being a temporary roommate since you’re at Kevin’s and I need to get away from the zoo for a while.”

I smiled a little. But one thing he’d said startled me. “Why is Harry working overtime?” I asked carefully.

I heard him hesitate. “It’s bad?” I guessed quietly.

“Money’s tight, he told me.” Jim replied.

It’s bad. Harry hardly ever admits to trouble like that. If he actually admitted to money being tight like that… then it’s really bad. I curled up under the covers, suddenly afraid.

“You still there, little buddy?” Jim asked.

“Yeah,” I said softly. “I’m here.”

“Hey, listen, kid. Everything’s going to be okay. Besides, you just had that interview today, didn’t you?”

“Well… yeah… but I won’t know for a few days whether or not I got the job.”

“You’ll find something, Brian. Don’t worry about it.”

“But Jim—“

“Trust me, Brian. Things are going to be all right.”

Despite his words, I had trouble sleeping that night. I was worried about Kevin. I was worried that I wouldn’t get the daycare job. I was worried about our situation at home. I think it was close to one o’clock when I finally fell asleep.