- Text Size +
Nick smiled largely as he placed his cell phone on the passenger seat. He loved catching Renee off guard. He knew calling her would interrupt her day, but he didn’t care; watching the boys run up to their private school with their friends, made him want to hear her voice. He didn’t get to see much of her nowadays. She was always working, and he had become a full time father. Ever since he left the Backstreet Boys to raise his children and be with his family, Renee had put more focus into her work. Not that Nick minded, he had encouraged her to become more involved once she had recovered from her surgery and Damon was old enough that he didn’t need constant attention from her; he just longed for more time with her.

Nick sat in the booth, watching her every move. He knew he should have been more subtle, but he couldn’t keep his eyes off of her. He took another drink and sat the glass on the table.

“Gee Nick. Go over there and ask for her name already.” A.J. yelled over the music that picked up as the crowd grew.

“I will. I’m just trying to figure out my next move.”

“Looks like you are a perv staring at her in a bar. Trust me that won’t get you laid.”

Nick looked at A.J. stunned. “Why do you assume that’s what I’m thinking? Why can’t I just want to get to know her?”

“We don’t get to know girls in our business Nick. Sure we meet a lot of them, but we don’t get to know them. Why do you think we’re still single?”

“Then how do you explain Brian and Kevin’s marriages and Howie’s girlfriend?”

Nick raised his eyebrows in A.J.’s direction. He couldn’t wait for his response. He loved putting A.J. in his place.

A.J. rolled his eyes in response, “Just go talk to her already. You’re making me sick.”

Nick smiled and playfully hit A.J. in the shoulder as he exited the booth. His nerves grew with each step he took. He watched as she tossed her hair while she laughed with her friends. She took another drink as he came up beside her and spoke in her ear.

“I didn’t mean to offend you earlier, I just knew I had to meet you.”

He stood close to her, his arms resting on the table. Her body became still. He knew he had surprised her and instantly became nervous. He hoped he hadn’t scared her; the last thing he wanted to do was push her away. His heart raced as he waited for her response. She finally turned her head over her shoulder to look at him, still holding her drink. When their eyes met, he could feel her presence overwhelming his body. Instantly her cheeks grew red and she turned her head away. Nick assumed her blushing, although he thought it was cute, embarrassed her. He watched her finish her drink, and chuckled inside. He knew he was making her
uncomfortable.

“You look like you could use another, I’ll be back.” Nick leaned in and spoke again before stepping away. He approached the bar, and ordered another cocktail. As he turned away, he could see her leaning across the table, talking with the blonde haired girl. He could tell by her friends’ wide-eyed expression that they were talking about him. As always the conversation stopped when he reached the table.

“You really shouldn’t assume that a girl couldn’t afford her own drink,” Renee said as she took the drink from his hands, “Or that I would want another.”

“Well, you finished that one so quickly I thought you’d need something to follow it with, since I plan on making you uncomfortable all night.” Nick smiled. He wasn’t about to let her display of affection get away unnoticed.

“Sorry to disappoint you, but that won’t be happening. I don’t know what you have in mind here, but I’m not interested.”

“You always so quick to turn a man away when all he wants is to know your name so he can ask you to dance?” He countered back. He loved how quick she was to resist him.

She took a drink, and looked at him. He could feel the hesitation in her body language. She was too quiet, like she was debating her next move. He wondered what she would have to think about, why she would be so hesitant to flirt with him. Had she been hurt before, like he had? Had she just gotten out of a relationship that didn’t end well? Or was she really not interested like she had said earlier? Just when he thought he might not find out, she spoke.

“It’s Renee.” She shied away, again.

“Nice to meet you Renee,” he paused before continuing, “That’s a beautiful name.” He winked; he knew he had to be sweet with her.

“Well, it’s definitely better than yours.”

“Oh, you do know who I am? Here I was thinking you were treating me like every other guy you meet.”

“Oh, no. I am. You’re not any different than them, Nick.” There it was, the truth. She had been hurt before. He didn’t know whether to be sad, or glad to hear her say his name.

“So, are you going to ask me to dance? Or was that just a ploy to get me to tell you my name?”

“It worked didn’t it?” Nick chuckled, “Would you like to dance?”

“Eh, maybe later. I don’t want to show you up.” She teased.

“You think you can take me? I’ve got to see this.” Nick reached for her hand and waited for her to stand up. He led her through the crowd, through their stares and gossip. He wasn’t new to watching people stare; it was the life he was use to, he just hoped she wasn’t uncomfortable, although a part of him knew she would be. He stopped in the center of the floor, lights flashing, music still pouring through the speakers. He pulled her close as he started to move to the music. She was slow to respond, but eventually they were dancing as a pair. Moving together, responding to each other’s advances. He was taking in everything about her as she moved. He breathed in her perfume when her hair swayed; he felt the chills run through his body, as her arms would grace his. He was completely mesmerized by her when she took control. She turned her body towards his, their eyes connected as she moved against his tall frame. He could feel the blood rush through his veins, his body temperature rising each time her hips moved against his. He wished that the night wouldn’t end.

They continued dancing through several songs, oblivious to everyone around them. When she finally slowed down, Nick wrapped his arms around her waist, hugging her from behind. She leaned into him, fully letting her guard down, resting her head against his chest. Nick felt her breath slowing down as his hand traveled down onto her leg and back up her hip. He was surprised she was allowing him to touch her so intimately, yet he couldn’t believe how good it felt to hold her. It had been awhile since he touched a woman, and at that moment he did not want to let her go. However, she did slip out of his grasp and headed back through the crowd towards her table. Nick wondered if he had gone too far, if he had touched her inappropriately. He followed after her and stopped to see her notice that her friends had left her behind.

“Where did your friends go?” He watched her, as she grew upset that they were gone. He kind of felt bad for her, here she was in a large city and her friends left her to hang out with him.

“They’re not my friends. They’re my colleagues.” She mouthed shit as she placed a hand on her hip. It was official; he did feel bad. Her colleagues? Fuck! She was in town on business. Who knew what kind of trouble he had gotten her into?

“Do you know where they went?” Nick sensed that he had asked a stupid question once the words left his mouth.

“Probably to the hotel. We have speakers to listen to in the morning.” She ran her fingers through her hair; he couldn’t help but think she was beautiful, even at that moment. “Shit! She has my key.”

Okay, maybe now it was official. He did feel bad. Not only did he take her away from her coworkers, but he also kept her away from her room for the evening.

“Do you need a ride? I can take you to your hotel. Maybe you’re friend is still awake.”

She looked at him and apologized, “I’m sorry. This doesn’t need to be anything for you to worry about. I can handle it.” He could tell she was putting her wall up again. He wasn’t about to let her get away so easily after the night they just shared.

“No, please. Let me take you to your hotel, it’s the least I could do.”